Icon Elsinore Boots

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by brentde3, Aug 26, 2012.

1. brentde3

brentde3 Should be outside

Oddometer:
    Hi you FF's. I've recently had the chance to put 10,000 miles on a pair of the Icon Elsinore boots, and, just in case there's any interest in them, I thought I'd write up my experiences with them.

So, when they were new, they looked like this:
    [​IMG]

Really good looking boots, if you ask me. If it counts for anything, my wife liked the look of them too :evil.

Here's some photos with jeans and on the bike, just for giggles:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, they had some pretty good stretch right out of the box. I was riding a VFR, so that was important. I adjusted my shift lever up to accommodate the big toe box, but that was about it.

Part of the reason I bought these boots was for their lack of a waterproofing membrane. I've never had any good luck with those (goretex or not), as my feet get horribly clammy. But, as 10,000 miles is a long way (and mother nature is cruel), I knew I was going to run into some rain. So, I treated them with some Sno-seal. Here's what they looked like after that:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They definitely wound up a few shades darker after they were treated. But, they still look pretty damn good, in my humble opinion.

My trip consisted of a big loop around the country. I went from New York to Florida, across I-10 to New Mexico, up to Reno, over to California, up the coast to Washington, and as far north as Prince George, B.C. Then I headed south through Alberta, into Montana, Wyoming, and South Dakota, before heading back to New York. I was gone for 30 days.

During that time, I rode in temperatures ranging from 31 to 110. I can't adequately describe the heat across the south and southwest. It was f'ing brutal. And, my feet were fine. I was wearing SIDI coolmax socks and my feet never baked too bad (at least not worse than the rest of me). I was happy I had chosen to stay away from the waterproof lining.

When I got north along the coast, the rain started. I'm happy to report that my feet never got soaked, either :clap. My toes got a little damp in a serious toad-strangler in Oregon, but a new coat of waterproofing (courtesy of fellow ADV'r DRONE, thanks!) and I was good as new. I can also say that my feet were never very cold, either. The boots are made of very heavy leather, and they did a great job of cutting out the wind.

So, here's what they look like after a ton of daily abuse:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, that many miles certainly adds a "patina" :D. The white soles got real black with road grime and footpeg rubber and the shift pad looks pretty knackered. I also rubbed a couple of flat spots on the toes in California (awesome roads!).

All in all, these are kick ass boots. They are protective without being clunky, and they held up well during all kinds of punishment. The only real complaint I have is regarding the stock insole. Man, those sucked!!! The addition of some Dr. Scholl's made these boots quite a bit more comfortable. I walked quite a bit in them and didn't mind it.

I hope this helps you inmates in search of another pair of boots. I had my reservations about Icon gear (been burned in the past), but these really changed my opinion. Great boots, overall.
    lithodave and JamesFromNJ like this.
  2. Lobster

Lobster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice write up.

Your taste in motorcycles is awesome! (had 2 of em...miss em both)
  3. BMWORBUST

BMWORBUST Banned

Oddometer:
    Those are nice boots! I want a pair.
  4. yellowbirdrs

yellowbirdrs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice looking boots. not quite sure about the white soles
  5. brentde3

Oddometer:
    Not quite sure myself, but they didn't stay white for long :D.
  6. el profe

el profe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you have any trouble with those straps hanging off the outside of the boot? I have one strap on the side of my Sidi Canyons and it drives me nuts getting hung up on my pants.

I'm with Yellowbrdrs on the color of the sole-the white sole looks kinda out of place. A gum outsole would have looked good. Or a really dirty white sole like you ended up with.

Congrats on the safe return from a 10,000 mile loop. Thanks for the write up too. :beer
  7. brentde3

Oddometer:
    Nope, no trouble with the straps. Never really noticed them, to be honest. I wore Motoport mesh kevlar pants on the trip and the paring worked well. They are a little baggy on me, though.
  8. RobertAmsterdam

RobertAmsterdam https://www.instagram.com/ktmfreerideexc/

Oddometer:
    i wonder how they look right now
  9. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    It takes a real clueless manufacturer to put a white sole on a motorcycle boot.
  10. Afry

Afry Why hike?

Oddometer:
    1970 called, they want their boots back....
  11. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    hey the vintage 1970's offroad boot is all the rage with hipsters on street bikes.. this is just taping into that market.. the white sole just plays to that. I think Ikon did a decent job with them...they are what they are.. a throwback boot with a few modern conveniences.. if you want a black sole you could get this version.

[​IMG]
  12. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
  13. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    These are the only moto boots you can wear INSIDE the bowling alley.:deal Look for ICON to come out with a bowling ball tail bag for 2013. They have nailed this niche market.
    lithodave likes this.
  14. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    or the ever exploding hobby of motorcycle sailing??

[​IMG]
  15. JoshBMW

JoshBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love the color but the white soul sucks. IF it was black I would be all over those. As it is I'll pick up a black pair soon.
  16. RobertAmsterdam

Oddometer:
    i have ordered a pair, and its going to get the sno seal treatment, i really like the result, darkening
  17. RobertAmsterdam

Oddometer:
    It took al while but i finally got them:
    [​IMG]

I did the sno-seal trick the day after, see the diffence between the twoo boots:
    [​IMG]

and what the hell lets do two shopped pics aswell:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. RobertAmsterdam

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The boots after two months, i did put in a gel sole for more comfort and less sliding in the boot, they are wonderfull!
    SlugRider likes this.
  19. JoshBMW

JoshBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a pair of the black ones.

I'm a perfect 8.5.

They are a tad, just a tad on the small side. To the point I'm considering another pair in 9's. :waysad

I've had them a couple of months and "hoping" they break in more but it's 50/50 now if I'll have to buy another pair.

Love the boot's just a sizing thing.
  20. River

River Gee

Oddometer:
    Good info guys...I was waiting to pull the trigger on some new boots and was looking at these pretty hard. Your reviews have sealed the deal, Im going to order them tonight. I have a size 12, wide foot. How are they for width?