Minnesota North Shore Shindig

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by jwalters, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeS

MikeS You betcha! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    There is a log cabin on the end of that road, on the top of a mound, with a 180* view that includes the GFT. I had my log truck on that road, and it gets steeper and rougher. My RT too, prior to my F650. We commuted on that road to work for a while - in pickups.
  2. jwalters

jwalters Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl

Rough commute Mike! I should have known you've built a log cabin or two on that section of forest road! That's probably your Menards bucket holding up the sign!
  3. tommymerle

tommymerle advwanabee

Oddometer:
    love the yodelers comment.
    I'm going to be at the Pancake breakfast at Trail Center but I'll be riding back to work when most of you are coming up the trail. Saturday is the last of the 7 day a week schedule till next summer. :clap
  4. jwalters

Oddometer:
    Look out for those North Shore Leprechauns that make rock cairns on motorbikes... :augie

5. c-zulu

c-zulu Works with Turds

Oddometer:
    What time is the train leaving for Trail Center?
  6. tommymerle

tommymerle advwanabee

Oddometer:
    I'm going to leave my house at 7AM in Lutsen. Be at Trail Center at 8 to order and eat my pancake and be back on the road at 9. I'm gallery boy at the studio tomorrow so I have to be there at 10 to open. :cry

On another note I see that C-Zulu posted his message in both NE MN riders and This Shindig post. I'm always confused. Which one should we use for just chatting about stuff? Sometimes I don't have time to look at everything but I don't want to miss out on anything at the same time. Jeez! what a dilemma!
  7. tommymerle

tommymerle advwanabee

Oddometer:
    so that was you! often I get customers that want me to use rocks they find for bases. My guess is you are the tallest of your Leprechaun klan.
  8. jwalters

Oddometer:
    <IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UmzsWxPLIOo" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
  9. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

There are 21 tracks left to scout for a total of 134 miles.

Exchanged newer version: 4 Oct Revision 27
  10. cuda

cuda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    24,000 miles probably time for a valve clearance check and maybe and adjustment, plugs etc. Anyone know of a good (competent) shop in NE MN. Thanks Cuda
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    About 76 miles of segments left to scout. We can still get this done!

Newest track is version 28.

[​IMG]
  12. tommymerle

tommymerle advwanabee

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering and waiting for a reply on this one too. I'm not going to have enough time to do my own wrenching this winter. I don't want to take my bike to the cities (Leo's south is an Aprilia dealer now). Who should I take it to in the Northland? It's a Rotax motor. :ear
  13. xveganxcowboyx

xveganxcowboyx Sitting on my ass

Oddometer:
    So I will likely be riding from Cook, MN to Schroeder, MN on Oct 18 or 19. I feel like I could cover that big section near highway 1, but I am still totally lost on mapping, route planning, etc....

I downloaded MyView for my tablet and imported the .GPX file, but it has tons of files.... I'm not sure how to make sense of them, how to integrate them in to a full route or how to log data when I'm actually riding. If I can get this all figured out I will try to ride that section (and maybe some others while I am up for the weekend).
  14. tippedover

tippedover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use my (i)phone and it works well regardless of cell phone reception. I utilize a handfull of apps depending on what I'm doing.

To follow a track I save it in my dropbox (app) account that way I can access it on my phone or comp. From dropbox on my phone I open the downloaded route in whatever program I feel like using for the day. GPX Master and GPX Viewer are both free and work well but don't have a lot of features. GPS Tracks is $4 and has a tone a features including laying down tracks which can then be saved in your dropbox and be waiting on your home computer.

Buybits on Amazon has a lot of good gear for mounting a phone. My only problem was my own shoddy installation job. The Velcro I put on the switch didn't stick, fell between the fork tube and frame and didn't have full travel. Ended up putting the bike down at slow speed, jwalters had a front row seat, crushed the plastic housing on the switch but it still works fine.

All and all for the cost of the mounting Kit ($50 waterproof case mount and charger) and a $4 app I have a pretty good gps setup.
  15. xveganxcowboyx

xveganxcowboyx Sitting on my ass

Oddometer:
    So I am pretty well set as far as equipment goes. I have a Garmin as well as my smartphone and tablet with Google Maps and Nav Free (though I will most definitely look in to the programs you mentioned for my phone and tablet). Most of my cunfusion is in how to do any mapping/recording of routes. I typically just use my GPS to get from point A to point B.

More concretely: I would like to be able to map out a route from Cook to Schroeder that includes the unridden highway 1 before I actually set out. I don't know how that is done (on a computer? specific programs? where does the data for the routes come from? etc...). That part is a pretty big mystery to me. I think you might have to break it down to the super newb level for me. :cry

*edit* I did find the file which shows the entire route I would be attempting to ride so that helps a little. I still know nothing about integrating that in to a functional route, logging data, etc....

16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    If you PM me an e-mail addy, I'll send you a GPX that only has a few consolidated tracks to scout. Much cleaner. I can take care of it in minutes.
  17. bidda444

bidda444 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I can find the phone number for a guy that was referred to me for Suzuki repair. He used to work at a cycle shop in Duluth, and now does shop work out of his garage. He was referred by a Duluth shop that doesn't service Suzuki's.

18. tommymerle

tommymerle advwanabee

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I put up a file that has only the remaining tracks to be scouted.

Download here.

[​IMG]
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    There is a new GPX (Version 29). Only 63 miles left to knock off. There is also a separate file of only the remaining red tracks.

[​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.