Oregon Backroads Discovery Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by boney, Sep 22, 2006.

1. boney

boney Ride > Post

Oddometer:
    I've started the ride report here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168431

In the mean time, here's the tracks and a bunch of waypoints.

Watch out though... There's no gas in Union Creek like the map set says. You may need to carry water if you're going to camp, since a lot of the sites we stayed at/saw didn't have water. Some of the roads are now closed indefinately while others temporarily because of fire. I tried to make notes. We didn't make it up to China Creek to see if the road was indeed closed, but there is internet rumor that a motorcycle can still make it through...

A lot of the trail crosses through OHV areas that require stickers. They're $10- don't be a cheapskate, I'm sure the fine hurts. I've also heard that the NFS is cracking down on "non-compliant" vehilces. Make sure you're tagged and you've got the quiet exhaust and turn signals.

7 days wasn't enough time. We found ourselves pressed near the end and would have liked to detour off trial to explore a bit more.

Attached Files:

2. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    I also have many tracks of the OBDR and other routes to share throughout Central and Eastern Oregon. If you're interested email me at info@highdesertadventures.net
    Greg
    nw scout likes this.
  3. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have not been on any of it yet but hope to in order to add it to my California SMTS tracks. What I have received form others I have posted on my private library on GPSXchange.com.

Please point out any corrections and I will change my file.
  4. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    What is the SMTS? I need to find dirt from the southern end of the OBCD route to reno. Have a link to your library on gpsxchange?

Humunn is helping me out with the OBCD tracks.
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Statewide Motorized Trail System see SMTS.info for all lthe history, current tracks are only on GPSX. It was the name before the PC police changed it to BCDT but never did any thing so I only use the name I worked on for 10 years.

Just go to GPSXchange.com and go to "Countdown" under private libraries about half way down then "Statewide Motorized Trail System".

Check Pacific Crest Quest on ADV for that connection. I have Reno to Mexico.
  6. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Found it Jerry, thanks!! :thumb
  7. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

The nice folks at OOHVA.org were the original ones to take the time to map and waypoint the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route. Without them we wouldn't have the information on the route to enjoy. Keep that in mind when you're swapping routes and waypoints (I haven't always paid attention to this like I should). They sell the maps and the funds go to support mapping more routes (they are working on a loop that will connect 2 and 3 to parts of 5). Buy their maps or send a few bucks their way.

Greg
  8. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who needs paper maps? This is the 21st century and electronics has come to every household. I have located and provide thousands of miles of SMTS (BCDT) in California all by myself. It was a dirty job, but since the government did nothing, someone had to do it. See SMTS.Info for complete 25 year history.
  9. ISDTBower

ISDTBower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should always carry a map...For when your Garmin quits...Again...

Me TOO!

Looks like great territory up there.
  10. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    I just carry a couple extra GPS's, They all have maps!:1drink
  11. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just bring a friend who has one.
  12. boney

boney Ride > Post

Oddometer:
    I respect the efforts of the OOHVA people. But the maps aren't worth what they're charging.

They're expensive, and in reality- hardly worth the paper they're printed on. The information on them is not recent. I discovered at least one place on their route where motorized vehicles are not allowed any longer. One of the gas stations they list is closed entirely and another had/has some funky hours. Things people might be interested in while riding the trails that would be useful information if you're selling a guide (which is pretty much what they're doing.) If you're trying to navigate using those pieces of map you'll never get anywhere anyway- they're too difficult to read, the color is washed out and not detailed enough. The waypoints are the ONLY thing worthwhile in the whole package. In fact, they should just publish a list of the waypoints and skip the rest. Mind you, FIRST they should take the time to convert all their different format sfor listing the waypoints to one commone one... something they didn't seem interested in doing when publishing the paper sets.

I know things change, but it seems like the information included in that set of maps is from the 1958 USGS series. After spending the cash on them, and seeing what I got and how (un)useable it really was, I decided to never buy another "trail set" of maps from anyone. Any one of us who has even the most remote sense of adventure can get out there and do just as good of a job (or better) with only a cheap NSFS paper map and a GPS.

Countdown is at least keeping track of "real time" information, in terms of the trails that have been ridden recently and what the gas situation was etc. His information is far more valuable that what the OOHVA is offering. And it's free.
  13. ISDTBower

ISDTBower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep. I'm up to 6 now. I make sure that all the riding partners have them and a spare in the backpack. I don't like wandering around, after getting "lost" on a roll chart...OR wandering around looking for someone else who got lost. We usually don't have that much gas to spare. But, I usually try to have a hard map of the area if I am not totally familiar.

How do you show a rancher, a sheep herder, a bartender (Countdown method), etc. a map on your GPS when you are looking for "a new way?"
    :rofl

I do love it, when we send the Wife with our over nite stuff... and a minor map reader.... "Honey...Just follow the thingie on the screen, and follow the ruts on the dry lakes. Don't get out of the ruts or you will lost over the horizon in 7 miles. If you are not there by 6 we'll know about where you are...." "Oh US? I have no clue where Jerry and Robert are taking us...I am following another thingie."

Gotta love it!
  14. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oregon is awesome. I'm going back for more some time. I used the trek now tracks along with boneys-thanks !!!--and where the trek now would have left me scratching my head for a good long while i saw you all had found the way a round for me. Ashland-sisters.Yes back up gps good for a place like that..

Attached Files:

15. gunnr

gunnr 1957 all stock....

Oddometer:
    It looks like a few of us will be heading out Sat. down to Ashland to do sec 3 and possibly 4. This is a last min alternate to Sec 5 with all the fires. Between the 2 set of tracks it looks pretty straight forward. I take it the gas waypoints are up to date. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks for sharing.
  16. TexasShadow

TexasShadow Where's the escape hatch?

Oddometer:
    Are these gps files still reasonably current?
    Planning on riding segments this fall.
  17. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which tracks?

I have the latest as far as I know on GPSXchange.com
  18. officerleroy

officerleroy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have anything that's been updated in awhile?
  19. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on the maps and reply. Both are correct. I purchased one section to see what they are like. I found two problems with the paper maps. Cost wasn't one of them because I don't mind paying folks for good research and work.

First, there is no way to keep paper maps up to date, especially if the base map source is out of date. On the other hand, gps points have the same problem with road closures, etc. as soon as they are posted. Change happens but it happens to a greater degree with paper than e-files because paper is updated less frequently.

The big problem for me was that once you buy all the maps for an OBCDR trip you have a stack of paper as big as a small metropolitan area phone book. That may be fine for the aluminum pannier, electric air pump, Kermit chair, and cooler crowd, or the Jeep crowd, but it doesn't for those riding fast and light with a GiantLoop and bivy bag. Also, the size of the books means they are only good to use while pulled over and parked. There's no way to make it work in a tank bag map holder.

These are not complaints, just facts. The paper maps have a purpose, just not for everybody.
  20. cdog2

cdog2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A lot of the different National Forests are selling books of topo maps reduced to 8.5x11. Pretty compact and a good backup.