Just Dan's go at a major resto on a early model Tenere'

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Just Dan, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Just Dan

Just Dan Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer:
    I was just saying to Andy Gadget that I needed a new project. Now I have finished the R100RS.

Andy said have I got the project for you, in the back of his garage. The last couple of owners gave up on the amount of work that needs to be done to the Tenere going again. It was altogether and just running bit a big knock from the clutch basket. The bike had been passed on from backpacker to backpacker before it sold on again. The speedo shows at least 117,000km (75,000 miles)

Absolutely every thing needs to rebuilt, remade or re welded. This will not be a fast restoration job. Since the bike is pieces, it is hard to tell what is missing. The wiring loom is quite trashed and will need replacing. The first step is to get the frame into shape and paint it then onto making it a rolling chassis. Arrrh where to begin:eek1

First, I need a workshop manual for the Tenere'

Any links or info getting parts and encouragement will much appreciated. Now on with the photos for viewing pleasure.

Sad, when a Tenere fits inside a small hatchback
    [​IMG]

A few boxes of bits
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The wheels are round, but the spokes are very rusty
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The wiring loom is shagged
    [​IMG]

Classic dented 34L tank
    [​IMG]

Frame has been broken and bush welded
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  2. tattewell

tattewell Mad Poser

Oddometer:
    Somebody been reading Jeff and Mezo's threads for inspiration? :evil
  3. metropolis2k

metropolis2k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That wiring loom doesn't look any worse than the one that was on my bike. I think they came out of the factory looking like that! :lol3

Good luck with it mate - Mez and I have the Clymer manual which looks like it will be your bible so keep a heads up for one of those. I've got a scan of a service manual of sorts but it's in German so probably not much use to you (or me!)
  4. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    Parts of the wiring loom look like a rat being chewing at it.:lol3 I am sure I can rewire the wrecked bits. Since I know nothing about these singles. I am going to lash out and get a Clymer.

As far as I know this bike has not been started in nearly 10 years:eek1
  5. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    Having bit of play in the garage today at trying to find the best way to remove the paint from the frame. Looks like I will doing some welding repairs. Does the frame need extra gusseting? To make it stronger as this bike will be used for outback travel.

The steering head bearings are stuffed. Oh the joy of removing cups. Guess, I will weld them too:lol3
    [​IMG]

After cleaning up the frame. Just got to choose which spray gun to use to paint the frame.
    [​IMG]
  6. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    I have the XT600 manual you can "borrow" if you like but its not XT600 Tenere specific

Its only the Tank on those old ones(what years is it) that differed

Edit ah i see in the sig line!
  7. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer of a borrow from the North. I went shopping on Amazon and bought a Clymer while the $A is good. Not to Bad $42Aus delivered
  8. theMISSIONARY

Oddometer:
    :D Make use of that $ before they re-adjust it :wink:

I had the 83,84 and 86 Tenere's the early one's had a different(better IMHO) cam spec but not as much power Have fun with it.........i'm watching:evil
  9. metropolis2k

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the Clymer is just for the standard XT600 too (and TT600) but like you say, there's just the tank that's different.
  10. Andy-Gadget

Andy-Gadget Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer:
    And the oil cooler, above the sprocket, it was a Tenere addition as well
  11. theMISSIONARY

Oddometer:
    None of mine had oil coolers....your not thinking of the dry sump reservoir :scratch that all XT600's had
  12. Andy-Gadget

Andy-Gadget Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer:
    Look under the back of the tank, the tenere that Dan now has, has a cooler in the same position as this photo, with a plastic cover that directs air into it.
    [​IMG]
  13. theMISSIONARY

Oddometer:
    i'll see if i can find some old picture's of mine....have to scan them

Edit to be honest i cant remember if mine did or not
  14. BIG ED XT FAN

BIG ED XT FAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Wish we could a get a bike like this one!!:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil
  15. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    Too see how bad the tank is. I started to chisel to the filler away from the dents to see just how rusty the tank is. The tank has had a hard life with a welding repair underneath near the back bone.

The good news is. The tank holds petrol without leaking and the rust varies from minor to very rusty, but repairable.

Any suggestions about pulling dents or just fill over them again. I reckon I would lose about 1 litre of fuel with dents in the tank as is.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  16. 2wheeldreb

2wheeldreb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. metropolis2k

Oddometer:
    Yep you're right :thumb
  18. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    If you have been a very bad boy all year. Santa will leave the remnants of a motorcycle on your doorstep:evil:evil:evil

Thank for that. I was thinking along the same lines. My brother is dent puller on cars and uses a form suction cup and slide hammer.
  19. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    Did I mention I hate using paint stripper.

A couple of mates suggested that I should get the frame sand blasted. I thought good idea, but I just have a go myself with some paint stripper and a buff on the end of a drill. To see what happens.

15 mins later. Emptied a cup of bull dust (Sand ) out of the back bone.
    [​IMG]

2 hrs later, sort of half done. After the frame is finished being stripped. I go over it with some 400 wet and dry to remove the last of the rust.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I thought I apply the same process to the tank. With not much luck. The tank has been painted 3 times in it life and I hope it is not the layers of paint holding the fuel in.

Found out today this Tenere, is a very early one. In that it has a 28 Litre tank instead of a 32 Litre that came out on the 84 model.
    [​IMG]

Also picked up the engine today. Complete with gear lever weld to the input shaft. Oh joy with a dremel. The engine has been missing a oil filter cover and spark plug for a couple of years:eek1
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  20. metropolis2k

Oddometer:
    Really? I thought the 34Ls all had the bigger 28L (sometimes quoted as 30L) tank and the only size reduction came with the 1VJ because of the airbox moving under the tank? :ear