Sierra Nevada Foothill Rides - San Andreas to Oakhurst

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Odin69, Jun 24, 2010.

1. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got my feelings hurt:cry I am curious about that too. I know where it used to be, off 3n01 just before the Clavey river.
  2. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    I took a quick trip up to Sonora last week to check out a 690, pretty nice.
    I rode up Cottonwood/Cherry Lake rd. All I could say is WOW not much left. It is hard to see up Clavey Cyn towards Borland but it looked ok from what I could see.
    The FS said everything is closed till mid May, lots of signs and gates up.
    Hi Gary:wave
  3. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It started near Nf 1n01 . I bet the bridge we crossed on NF 1n01 is history, if you can burn concrete. Did you buy a 690? I was out riding Saturday.
  4. Memnok

Memnok Fly high, go far.

Oddometer:
    That sucks, i have a new 500exc i haven't had a chance to ride up there yet. Is Briceburg closed from 140?
  5. Corinthiano

Corinthiano Lost & PROUD of it!

Oddometer:
    Good to see this thread come back to life. Springtime, I guess. Good.

6. Odin69

Odin69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I had a lot going on the last few years. The wife and I sold our home in the Valley then, we had new construction going on at our new place around Angels Camp. We did a lot of it ourselves so, it took most of my free time and money. Most of the works done now, just some trim and a few odds and ends to complete.

I should be in full swing to ride this year. :clap
  7. Odin69

Odin69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The dirt road is Hogan Dam road. After awhile, it turns back into pavement closer to Valley Springs. The jeep trails were off the pavement by the reservoir. There's lots of trash that idiots dumped out there and, signs of people shooting guns so, be alert. You never know who might come up on?
  8. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah it definitely cooked the Toulumne canyon!
    Yes I got the new 690. I rented the one in Sonora and rode Wards Ferry, Buck Meadows, old Yosemite rd. a few miles till the forest closed signs :( then came back cherry lake/ Cottonwood.
    I'm not sure about going over to Briceburg, sorry.
  9. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the bike. Briceburg may have a seasonal closing (the gates at the top), but it won't be due to the fire. I was told it was open in November and have a video of a ride on it. The road from 140 to the top is BLM land. A lot of the lower elevation Stanislaus forest will be opened on 4-14
  10. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have ridden the Hogan Dam road, just never seen any of the steep stuff.
  11. Mr B

Mr B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jason,
    good to see you are back riding. We should ride one of these weekends. I am working down in Alameda but off every weekend.
    Just rode a bit in Death Valley but not enough...went down with a friend but he did not ride so I only got out one day.
    would be interested in doing some riding up your way too....
  12. Odin69

Odin69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, Bruce that sounds good. Let me know when you want to ride. I should be available most weekends. Do you still have my phone number? If not I'll PM you.
  13. Odin69

Odin69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was headed north on Hogan Dam road from Copperopolis toward Valley Springs Once it turns to pavement there's a couple of dirt roads on the right side. I can't really tell you the exact locations because, there's no signs out there.
  14. Mr B

Oddometer:
    Yes I still have a 209 number.
    Maybe next Saturday we can put something together could meet in Angels camp never ridden that area.
  15. Odin69

Odin69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That should work. I've heard the roads don't officially open until the 15 around Arnold anyway. We could probably check out Interface OHV by White Pines. We should also be able to ride Summit Level road.

I'm going up to Pi Pi (up Hwy 88) with my son today to ride some trails. That's a good place to ride also, it's just further for you.
  16. Odin69

Odin69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I took my son up to Pi Pi today. It was his first time at an off-road park and we both had a good time. :ricky Here's some of the pictures from the ride. There were some single track trails closed off by the day use area. The best spots seemed to be around the Five Corners area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Mr B

Oddometer:
    I just came over 88 on the way back from Death Valley and the Easter Slope.. Heard they got two feet of snow at Kirkwood last week too, so I missed that by about two days....
    88 is a bit of a stretch but I could make it work...
  18. St.Stan

St.Stan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I figure I'd ask here, do any locals know if forest route 33 (3N01) from highway 108 at Long Barn to Cherry Lake is doable in an Impreza (low clearance)? The map indicates much of the road is paved/chipseal, and I've heard the Bourland Trestle can be accessed by passenger car.

I know Cherry Lake to 120 is paved but I'm not sure about the northern part.

tl;dr, it's going to rain this Thursday and Friday, to late to cancel reservation, motorcycle trip just turned into car trip barring revised forecast.
  19. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I have not been out there lately, but they have worked on that road quite a bit since the Rim Fire. My co-worker did it in his Honda CRV, so I would guess that the Subie could make it as well.

If in doubt, you could take 1N04 out of Tuolumne. I have raced my GC8 Impreza to Cherry Lake that way. The only time I ever experienced full brake loss/fade with the OEM rotors (boiled the pads). I switched to slotted rotors after that.

Call the Mi Wuk Ranger Station and you might be able to get first hand info.
  20. St.Stan

St.Stan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's not a WRX but still fun to drive. Enough ground clearance to clear an acorn if I pick the right line. The Nat Geo map was pretty ambiguous but the SNF map indicates pavement with a bit of gravel so I think I'm ok.

I'm familiar with Cherry Oil road but I need to drop in from the north to get to Bourland.

Latest weather is Friday doesn't look to bad but Thursday is definite T-storms.