Moto Guzzi California 1400

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ikonoklass, Nov 13, 2012.

1. ikonoklass

ikonoklass Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer:
    Looks tasty. Unfortunately, the EICMA translation is more or less useless:

In the first nine months of 2012, thanks to the success of the new V7 range, the brand Moto Guzzi has registered a growth of 13.7% of the units sold overall, confirming the success of the development strategies of the range that will crown with this launch the new 1400 Moto Guzzi California, one of the most anticipated motorcycles at EICMA 2012. The technological and stylistic pose Moto Guzzi California 1400 Olympus means exclusive symbol of an elite and its lifestyle. The design, technical solutions, the heritage of the brand, identifying the arrival of the new 1400 Touring California and California Custom 1400 as a turning point in the history of Moto Guzzi. California 1400 California Custom Touring and 1400 are presented as ambassadors for the Moto Guzzi brand in the world embodies the highest values ​​of Italian designed as an ideal of beauty and luxury. Brand new, powerful 1400cc V architecture in the classical cross ride by wire, cruise control, ABS, traction control, touring all over California and California Custom helps to combine the best of the latest and most advanced technology with the classic style and elegance own the Moto Guzzi brand. Hand built in the factory in Mandello del Lario, where Moto Guzzi born continuously since 1921, California 1400 are distinguished by the craftsmanship with which each component is assembled. Attention that makes every Moto Guzzi California one piece, able to marry and to emphasize the strong personality of a passionate and exclusive clientele.

Anyhoo, I'm dying to hear more!
  2. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    Guzzi has a tough road- don't piss off the Cali history and loyal owners and somehow sell bikes to people who never considered Guzzi before.

video:
    http://california.motoguzzi.com/versions/custom/video/en
    http://california.motoguzzi.com/versions/touring/video/en

The history of the Cali is that they actually handle for large bikes. The bikes offer a lot to the user. Guzzi's lineup is amazing right now. The V7's, Stelvio, Griso, and now new Cali...I own two and would consider a Cali if I was looking for a touring cruiser.
  3. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    I think it's a cool, modern take on a cruiser, in the same way I like Victorys.
  4. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Last week I saw the Griso 1200SE 'Black Devil'.

Oh my.
  5. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    I think the new 1400 is gorgeous. I had one as wall paper on my pc for a while.

I doubt I will ever own one though. A friend of mine has a Breva 750. Sometimes he rides it, but most of the time it's down for repairs. Full disclosure though, he is bad about letting it sit along time before he takes it to the shop. I think he rode it maybe 6 times this year.
  6. Streamin' E

Streamin' E Half-assed adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want a white one :tb
  7. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    The older gent who visits our Sunday get together has a 750 Breva that has 65k miles on it. He rides it everywhere and has never had anything ever wrong with it. He would ride it (again) cross country without a second thought.

I put 1k miles on my NTX, had it serviced, and then rode it 2500 miles in 7 days without a second thought. The modern Guzzis are very well built. Too bad more don't try them.
  8. UnderNewOwnership

UnderNewOwnership Thread Slayer

Oddometer:
    The only issue with the Touring is that rear shocks aren't fully adjustable. The Custom (the stripped-down version) has standard fully adjustable reservoir shocks, but I'm not sure whether you can fit them on the Touring (they might interfere with the panniers).
  9. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    90° V-twin, 1,380 cc,
    96 hp (71 kW) at 6,500 rpm,
    maximum torque 120 Nm
    (12.3 kgm) at 2,750 rpm.

Well, it's got the torque of a Multistrada 1200 and the power of a Multistrada 1100, all at much lower revs.

Not bad, for a tourer.

And cruise control.

They may have something here.

Shame the tank isn't 24L. Would have worked with the cruiser style, too. But 20L is still good.

My guess is it does handle, and very well.
  10. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. drhach

drhach We can't stop here, this is bat country!!

Oddometer:
    Have they upgraded the charging system yet? I wanted a california in the worst way back towards the end of 2010. The alternator output was just a hair over what it took to run the bike. I was sure that by the time I'd added provisions for heated gear and extra lights, there wouldn't be enough. Very disappointing. I know the Norge and Multistrada have plenty of juice. Not sure what the hold up was for the California.
  12. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. oldhippie1

oldhippie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Few dealers, a weak club, the old time members are eather passed or don't ride any more. A few old timers left. High prices etc. I'd think hard before I ever bought another Guzzi.
  14. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Looks very good. :nod And the specs are interesting, too.

My sense is that Moto Guzzi, like Triumph, is reading forums like this one and learning what folks want in their bikes. This bike appears to have everything I want in a cruiser (although I don't know its alternator capacity): cruise, abs, decent size tank, shaft drive, cast wheels, not too large, and nice looks.

I can't wait to learn more about it.

Now if only MG would take some to Daytona Bikeweek so we could test drive them. :deal
  15. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    weak and inaccurate argument...

Guzzi has it's work cut out for it just getting past all the lame out of date stereotypes
    BadKarma likes this.
  16. studad

studad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! That's really sexy! Price?
  17. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went to the Wisconsin Guzzi Rally. Free beer, lots of people of all ages (several of us under 30). Good times. :thumb
    BadKarma and danketchpel like this.
  18. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen any U.S. pricing info yet.
  19. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    A few more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice big cases. I wonder if they're water proof? Capacity?
  20. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    Another nice touch is the guards on the cases. Not too obtrusive, yet looks like decent protection.