Does anyone know which wire is the high beam wire?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by hrach1, Apr 18, 2011.

1. hrach1

hrach1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello fellow GS riders. I have a 2010 F800GS and I want to install the auxiliary driving lights. I have done this before with my other BMW bikes where I would attach the trigger wire to my high beam wire that comes out of the high beam switch. However, I am having difficult time finding the wire on my F800GS. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Would anybody know which color wire is the high beam trigger wire?<o:p></o:p>
    Any help would be much appreciated. :bow
  2. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    give me till later tonight to tell you.... :deal

I'm gonna take my front fairing off later to re-do some work on fuel lines and I'll see which wire I spliced.... basically did the same thing

:freaky
  3. hrach1

hrach1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot!!:D
  4. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the headlight plug.... The white wire is the switched 12v positive for high beam.

I don't know what color the wire would be at the switch, nor do I know if that wire at the high beam switch is switched 12v or CANbus talk to the ZFE.

A lot of switches on the F8 are CANbus talk to the ZFE. I wouldnt use any other point to tap for a trigger other then the white wire that plugs into the headlight unless someone else has already tried it and NOT burned out their ZFE or screwed up the CANbus.
  5. hrach1

hrach1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are right! I better take it from the back of the head light.
    Thanks for the advice!.
  6. Dockstrada

Dockstrada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey hrach1,

This is the high beam wire running through the harness; itÂ’s just tucked just under the air duct, as you can see I cut away the black tape insulation to expose it and tapped in to the white wire to activate the relay.Its working great not a problem .

Hope this helps :wink:

[​IMG]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  7. hrach1

hrach1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow,
    Thanks a lot! :bow
    Taping into the wire is much easier from here. Thanks again!
  8. Flashback

Flashback Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer:
    Question. Does that mean that you aux lights come on when you flip the high beam switch or do they have a separate switch?
  9. Dockstrada

Dockstrada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Aux lights on a seperate switch ,in this way you can have a choice of only OEM high beam or both OEM high beam and aux spot lights .
  10. dacrazyrn

dacrazyrn ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There happen to be a blue and white wire (hopefully from the turn cancel switch) lurking about in there? I am installing an Autoswitch for the Floods and gonna hook the Spots into the High beam wire. Good to know prior to cutting away (and getting the side panel off).
  11. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if white is the high beam, which is low beam. I want to tap into both for my setup.