MidTN@LBL.ride May 3-5, 2013

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by sandalscout, Feb 1, 2013.

1. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    Rainman, I started plotting out a route that ties together the new paved twisty road in LBL to 232. That should be a fun ride. I think that the new road in LBL is even more fun than 232.

I'm seeing Piney @ $12 a night, same as the other locations. Divide it up by 2 and it's $6 each. I have no problem with Piney or Turkey Bay. Was thinking along the lines of Troy, choosing something more centralized and less populated. Piney gets packed quickly, at least the electric loops that my in-laws RV on.

If we stay at Turkey Bay, would we have to pay to camp and to ride there, even if we don't ride there? That'd be bad for anyone that doesn't want to ride there. I've not ridden there before so might give the big loop a go, but I'm not a very big technical rider myself.
  2. TFB43

TFB43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think you get a 3 day pass for $15. Plenty of places to camp there.
  3. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    Turkey bay is do-able on a KLR as long as it's DRY. Even the easy trail has some technical parts with things like wash outs, alot of baby heads, gravel covered up & down hills that will make you think you're riding on marbles. Most of the easy trail (marked with gold diamond) would be fun for you but, there would definately be some challenges. Add a few days of heavy rain & I wouldn't touch it with a KLR though.
  4. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    At turkey bay we could have some field events, slow race, drag race, hill climb, beer chugging contest, bikini contest....Oh wait wrong bike.:freaky I'm sure we would come up with some fun events as long as the rangers don't have a problem with it. They use to be butt heads.
  5. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    Weenie bite contest????
  6. streetndirt

streetndirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Turkey bay would be great for post ride jack-assery, however Energy Lake in right in the heart of some great roads. On top of that its a great campground. They arent far enough away to matter, just saying. I have a generator that I can bring if need be, so we can have electricity anywhere. As far as rangers go, they have cut the budget so much I'm not sure there are any! HA

We had an awesome ride over there today. Made one wrong turn from plan but Ill send you to tracks or route from the GPS if you want.
  7. TroyJ650

TroyJ650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Crap!

I'm out!
  8. Rainman901

Rainman901 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe that it is called Lake Front Road. At least that's what Google calls it. Can't find a name on my LBL map. That is definitely a sweet road. One warning I would have regarding it. It seems that on all of those wonderful curves for some reason people in their cages or hunting trucks like to ride the edge and throw gravel right in the apex. Not the best thing to come up on while trying to enjoy a curvy road. It's still fun as hell though. I would be more than happy to do a little RECON prior to the GTG to see the status and point out any Oh Sh!t spots. At least by May all the leaves should be off the road and the corners.:evil

[​IMG]

I would agree that Piney can get crowded. Like I said, it's an option. It's all good.........
  9. TroyJ650

TroyJ650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I made a call to Energy Lake. They are really great to work with. They are willing to pencil in sites for us. and if required, ALL of Loop B is available!

I'm gonna make an executive decision and call Energy Lake the official Base Camp for MidTN @ LBL .

The thing I need to do is get a head count. They are willing to bend the rules of 2 tents per site for riders coming in on a bike. Also, as a group, riders not camping at Energy Lake will be able to enter with no charge! That's huge! If you want to rough it somewhere else, stay in a motel, or ride in just for the day, you can hang with the group at the Base Camp.

Non Electric sites - $12 a night. There are 2 Electric sites in loop B, @ $24 a night. Everyone is responsible for there own expenses, remember, BYOE! If we can get 3-4 bikes at a site, that's $3 or $4 per rider each night.

Once again, Chime in with a head count. It may change, and that's no problem. Right now, I just need to tell them next week if we expect 6 bikes, or 60 bikes.

LET'S RIDE!
  10. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    in
  11. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    Excellent! That sounds Fantastic! I've edited the first post to reflect the decision! I've edited the quote of your original post, don't sue me!

Please reply with your "in" status, and the number of people, and I'll be sure to update the first post with a rolling head count.

Jeff, just you, or you and your wife?
  12. Kev95GS

Kev95GS goob

Oddometer:
    Woo Hoo! :clap

This is on the high priority list! :kumbaya:beer:dg

Right after fixin' this.

[​IMG]
  13. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    My wife too. I doubt all weekend though.
  14. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    :thumbup

Kev, what's broke? All I see are some scratches... you BMW guys! :D
  15. Kev95GS

Kev95GS goob

Oddometer:
    That'd be a bent telelever. The paint popped when it bent. Look around the shock mount too. :ricky

It goes along with the busted rear shock and rear rack. :clap

It'll be a'right.
  16. ducnek

ducnek Trying not to feel it too hard

Oddometer:

Holy crap! :eek1
    How did that happen :ear
  17. Kev95GS

Kev95GS goob

Oddometer:
    too fast through a wash in TX. Fine dust filled the hole so it looked OK. It wasn't. I have some video I need to get it together.
  18. SloDon

SloDon Hey...where am I?

Oddometer:
    Been following this.......I am down in Atlanta but have had LBL on my list of places to check out.

Unless work intrudes I plan on joining you....looking forward to it! :ricky:ricky:ricky

Added.......just me for the head count......
  19. TroyJ650

TroyJ650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kev, You're gonna need some pliers, and a set of 30 weight ball bearings......
  20. streetndirt

streetndirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in! Workman and I will probably share a site. I'll keep the Facebook site updated with the changes. If you needed boots on the ground over in lbl just let me know. I'm 10 miles away.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S2