1995 BMW R100GS or R100GS PD?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by zenduddhist, Aug 15, 2012.

1. zenduddhist

zenduddhist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am looking at a 1995 R100GS PD. From a collectible, resale, desirablity standpoint, is the R100GS or R100GS PD more desirable? I am just curious in the opinions of the collective.

Another question: If both bikes were availalbe in the same color, same mileage, same condition, same price, etc., which one would you choose, the regular GS or the GS PD, and why?

Thanks,

Chris
  2. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    GS PD is perhaps more desirable

I would pick the GS as I do ride off-road and don't need the extra 4 gallons (or whatever it is) as ~175-200 mile range is plenty
  3. Biebs

Biebs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well if you plan to buy one and store for the next 30 years as a collectible then get the PD version of the GS!!!
    The PD version should bring a few more $$$ in 30 years.

Now if you want something to ride. Where do you live??? If the closet gas station in 300 miles get the PD.

The PD will always be worth more $$$ if a comparable GS and PD are available. It's like buying a car with the all the options the extra $$$$ you pay for options will make resale value higher according to KBB.

My take on this is the more options the more stuff to break!!!

The PD looks cool but that big tank gets in the way for most use:norton
    lucky6600 likes this.
  4. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:

yeah what he said....:deal But this is coming from two guys with 43L gas tanks...:lol3
    lucky6600 likes this.
  5. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd go for the GSPD. The glove box on the tank is really handy. It's a plastic tank so it won't dent or rust and is pretty indestructable. The luggage rack on the GSPDs is also huge. Only change I'd make is to the shape of the solo seat to allow a little more scooting around. If you go for the GS, I'd get the naked '88 or '89. The post '90 models just look bad to my eye. Too big a fairing with too small a tank. The GSPDs have a good balance to them.
  6. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    It makes sense that the more rare more expensive from new bike would most likely be worth more in the long term.
    So with that the gspd is the bike. But in practice there's a lot to be said for the lighter gs. Especially if you ride off road.

On road there's a lot to be said for the bigger tank.

But if your are thinking resale value it's most likely not going to be used off road so I'd say get the pd and don't look back. Besides if you find the you don't like it you could sell it or trade it for a gs.
  7. erappaport

erappaport pray for rain

Oddometer:
    These two models are similar enough that I'd fall in with those who suggest buying the best example of either that you can find/afford. This said, I had a couple of standard GS's, an 89 and a 91, and will offer what I can..

Very close to the same bike, the 90-94 bikes had the little fairing which I wound up liking.. there's a built-in tach, and a small dash that allows for cleaner installation of switchgear if you have heated grips or the like. These bikes had marginally better brakes, with a drilled floating front disc, though none of the airhead GS family are famous for stopping power.

Similarly, the later bikes had an adjustable rear shock, but most with the money would go for a suspension upgrade anyway. This is the bike they call the gummy cow, after all..

I always thought the PD looked cool, and probably would have bought one given the right opportunity. My local BMW wrench/dealer at the time said that the PD's tended to run hotter due to the large tank and high fender, (less flow reaching the block) and were hard on chassis electrics, particularly diode boards. He also felt that they were more prone to the driveshaft failure that bothers all of these bikes, but have not heard that substantiated elsewhere.

And I wouldn't call any of these bikes pretty, except in a swiss-army-kinife sort of way. They came in some pretty outlandish color schemes, particularly the PD. See if you can find the pink-white-teal combo with the treadmarks on the tank.
  8. akabeton

akabeton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Both are great bikes, and either would serve you well.

I bought a 1995 GSPD, I am thoroughly delighted and would go as far to say " charmed " by the bike.
    I didn't buy it as an investment, other than it being an investment in my " future happiness"
    I intend to use the bike as much as possible, and take it to places that it was made to go to. Which will probably result in a scratch and a bang every now and then, if my recent trip to The Kooteneys is anything to go by.
    I don't know what this may do for it's long term value, and quite honestly I don't really care. I'll be sticking with this bike for the long haul, caring for it when needed, and sharing with it some great experiences.
    That is enough of a return on my investment.

Take the plunge, you will not regret it, but whatever you do, don't forget to enjoy the bike.
  9. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure in 1995, only the PD was available,,,,called the Classic. If I'm proven wrong, the PD is the one to get strickly on a collectability standpoint. As for usability, I've had both, and the GS is a better bike all round, only because when the PD tank is full, the bike and the rider definitely can feel negative-ness, slow handling, top heavy,,,just weight penalty characteristics.

Steve
  10. Pica Hudsonia

Pica Hudsonia Super-dupergenius

Oddometer:
    I see your point, but keep in mind that big tank doesn't have to be filled. Just because it will hold 9 gallons doesn't mean you can't stop at 4 or 5 when you want less weight and don't need long range. It's much easier to do this than to find places for carrying extra fuel on a GS on those rare occasions when you anticipate 300+ miles between filling stations.
    bykpimp likes this.
  11. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    PD every time for me. If you buy the standard machine you will suffer with PD envy until you finally bite the bullet and get one. And yes they are a better bike :wink:
    lucky6600 and bykpimp like this.
  12. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

Be honest,,it's the same bike. Surely you understand that the bodywork swaps over, everything else is the same. And PD envy, ok, some will do this,,,hence my view that they have a better collectability advantage.
    Better bike?:evil Trying to press buttons,,,,,,
  13. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know it's the same bike Steve. But for some strange reason they do ride better, maybe it's the extra few pounds of weight...or maybe it's just the self satisfaction that come from having a PD model.

They're worth having just for the lunch box in the tank. Best bit about the bike.

I take it you have the poor mans standard machine :D
    bykpimp and Ense-Diego like this.
  14. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes, I have the poor man's version, bought new in Mar 1991. :lol3 I think if you look at my current garage inventory, you could surmise I have the ability to have either or both. In fact I did have both at the same time,,,,I just found the standard GS, back to back, handles better on the street, and especially!!!! off road.
    photorider likes this.
  15. WacoDirtryder

WacoDirtryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If your going to collect it the PD if your going to ride it you cant beat the old 88,89 GS its a lot more fun and you can stand up and ride it like a dirt bike without that big ass tank and fairing in the way.
    photorider likes this.
  16. kadesean

kadesean eyesuck Supporter

Oddometer:
    If one were to get a GS and want to convert it to a PD is it just the tank or is the 'fairing' different as well?
  17. ignatz72

ignatz72 call me iggy

Oddometer:
    You would also need the fairing side panels for a 91+ PD conversion.
  18. kadesean

kadesean eyesuck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know the tanks can be spendy when they can be found, but that doesn't seem like to difficult of a mod. I'm not interested in the extra bash guard down low. Roo bars, windscreen/instrument cluster look the same.

Thx for the reply. Makes my search for an airhead GS a little more fun.
  19. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    money wise in terms of farkles... it's always best to find a bike with extras on it. for instance PD tank would sell for $500-$750 range. if you want a PD... find a bike with PD kit already in place. same for racks and saddle bags. those could set you back another $500+ used.

for collectability go with R80G/S ... front end price will be higher, but odds are G/S will go up higher.

it's been a few month from first post, so you are not in a hurry. which is the best mode to be in.

IMHO most accurate price indicator is a national search limited to craigslist.
    from google: BMW R80 G/S site:craigslist.org
    or insert BMW R100GS or what ever.

you will get many more hits for R100GS vs G/S ... R100GS generally are a few thousand $$ cheaper and much easier to find.
  20. KhaoSanMan

KhaoSanMan Airhead

Oddometer:
    The fairing panels are different between these two models, the Roo bar as well. You can also fit a G/SPD tank and fit it into the GS fairing with a little shaving.

I believe someone did convert the GS roo bar and fairing panels to work with a GSPD tank, but he had to narrow or otherwise modify the roo bar.