Mar. 28-31, 2013 Death Valley Noob's Rally

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by nsfw, Nov 15, 2012.

1. der_saeufer

der_saeufer Пу́тін хуйло́

Oddometer:
    Hey, that's the end of my spring break.

Most likely in, riding solo on a V-Strom from LA. Can't pull an Airstream with a Wee, so tent it is. I don't need a whole site to myself--I have a one-man tent and can hide pretty much anywhere.
  2. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, sorry for the mix up ... Welcome to The Noobs Rally :lol3

Note to self... LuLu, the smart one, not the big ones.... :rofl

Both very good riders though. :clap

Hope to see you here for the DVN Rally John. If you do come out another time, let me know and I'll show you around..

Welcome DS,

Yep, we don't get whole sites to ourselves........ We like to make friends :lol3 Unless they snore, then they are banished to a special place !
  3. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll hear a lot about getting gas in Death Valley... And I'm not just talking about Joel's cooking ! :D

I just noticed the gas is not pay at the pump. If we needed to launch a recovery mission this could be a problem. I'll make sure to fill my vehicle when I get there so it is ready if needed. Lonestar, you may take note too..

A couple of other notes. The PSR station is not Shell anymore. The price for regular gas was $6 a gallon, premium over $6.50... I don't hold that against them, they have to try and make a living, and I do see he is improving the "resort" feel :lol3

Stovepipe Wells had regular for only $4.50 and Furnace Creek was over $5 for Regular at the same time. That made no sense. They are both inside the park concessions.

The "king" of gas pricing... Beatty NV was $3.50 :lol3

Gas Station & General Store

<!-- article-content --> Hours: 7AM to 9:30PM daily GAS: We sell gasoline for your convenience. This includes 87, 89, & 91 octane gasoline and diesel at our General Store. We take cash or credit, which must be paid before pumping gas. We do not have “pay at the pump” service, so you cannot get gas outside of our business hours.
  4. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    In.

Don't which bike yet, camping.
  5. Kendrick

Kendrick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In. Riding, 950SE, Camping.

Take the SE Aaron, I'll follow you up.
  6. slowpoke

slowpoke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have to see if I can take the days off. If I can, I'll be riding in. Unless I plan on putting my knobbies on, then I'll trailer that 800GS in.:D Oh, and camping all the way around.
  7. Abrupt Edge

Abrupt Edge Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I can make it from Texas, you can do it from Iowa. No excuses! It's a great ride!
  8. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Now you're feeling my pain from WARPED a few years ago. It had to be on Easter for the same reason this does. Some people got SO worked up over it. :rolleyes (I'm just stoked I'm getting out of another lame Easter brunch with the family. :lol3)
  9. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    f/s/s - /RIDING IN/800GS
  10. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    hi ken. it's a long drive from houston and glad to have you again. congrats on the tr650.

wohooo, we got one from colorado, lulu great to have you....:clap

this event has denoobing many riders every year. we break them gently and keep the parts department busy the following monday......:lol3

i heard you went to alaska for 2 weeks on your 650. wow. that will make the ride to dv a breeze....:evil

df, hope you find someone to carpool and make it regardless.
  11. nsfw

Oddometer:
    :clap

keith, good job on the 2012 ride report and leading a noob's group. thanks for bring along a noobie.

again, we need to recruit your "first responder skill', hopefully no one will need it.

john, sorry you could not make it. mid feb should be good if you're riding the lower elevations. some passes will still be closed or covered with ice or snow. enjoy.

we tried to extort money from all particpants so we could raise funds for charity. we haven't made serious collection, and i'll leave that to everyone to do their best.

still planning to do one of the rmar rides. see you there.
  12. nsfw

Oddometer:
    AMEN

chris, you got to make this, another good opportunity for norcal and socal peeps to ride together. that's how this event got started.

:clap

hope school is good and you deserved this much needed spring break!

btw, you kicked the trojans' ass yesterday.

matt, it's been a while from the bike night hosted by solomotoparts.com. it will be good to see you again, just try not to get hurt before the event.

i have been toying of getting bigger tent, provisions in case it rains.

something like this.
    [​IMG]

will pm you if we really need it.

scott, i agree that's a tough one. people have to realize the riding window for big events or rallies is pretty small, especially whenever the severe weather becomes part of the equation.

holding it earlier is not an option. the bmw rally has the campground the week before, earlier than that we get the winter storm. in april, there are 2 big events -warped and mendo rally. there's also the mex1000 which i'm already committed to be in the support crew.

we used to hold this event in november, good weather too but i noticed more people come to the march rally because they suffered from "cabin fever".....:D
  13. nsfw

Oddometer:
    please post all your questions here, instead of PM

most of the questions you asked are good and the answers could benefit other people who have the same or similar question.

besides, i have over unread PMs....hard to be famous.....:lol3

limit the PM for "personal stuff".

many of the rally veterans here can answer your questions and likewise can give good advise.

the list is filling up fast. thank you all for the overwhelming response and positive comments.
  14. roundtripping

roundtripping Adventourist

Oddometer:
    Mid-November and 84 people on the list :1drink:D
  15. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan. I'll ride up on the SE if I still have it.
  16. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3

No questions in my pm, just the personal info. I went thru this a few years ago, I feel your pain. Just getting inmate's real names to turn in to the campground was enough to wear me slick.
  17. IntrepidRunner

IntrepidRunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Vic, arriving Friday night, with my Husky TE-510. I'll need a car camping site w/o hook-ups. :clap
  18. Nubs

Nubs Dakarmelized

Oddometer:
    This sounds excellent! So in!

York (Nubs) - th/fr/sa/su - Trucking in/KLX250s. I'd like to reserve a room if any are still available. PM sent.
  19. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Joel,

Looks like you were INundated with In's :D

Please add DrRangeRover (Brian) with 1 or 2 kids, all days and meals, no bike, .

He is Trauma qualified, so I'll ask him to bring his little black bag... Not that we need it.... :eek1
  20. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    Spa, I am hoping that we don't have to do a midnight run again. I'll have the truck prepped in case we do.