Tales from East TN

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Mossy_Crk, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Mossy_Crk

Mossy_Crk Fallen over

Oddometer:
    Howdy Folks and welcome to the Great State of East Tennessee!

In order to provide an area to brag about recent rides, introduce local riders to each other, share events and points of interest to our community, and generally just shoot the shit; I present the Tales from East TN.

I'll try to keep links to upcoming rides, rallies, and related events in this post. I'd love to link to ride reports posted from riders in our area. Just shoot me a PM if there's something that needs highlighting.

Feel free to join us in the East Tennessee Tag-O-Rama!

Upcoming Events in the Area:

Where to Ride Suggestions:

Baggi'tard's list of sweet rides around Tellico Plains & Tellico Adventure Trail - Several routes with gps links of routes here
    ADV brethren advice needed for dragon ride!!
    East Tennessee riding help
    Dual Sport Trip Suggestions - Western North Carolina
    Going to Asheville for the weekend
    gpx track for Trail 81 and 82 - Singletrack and not for novices on big bikes
    Coker Creek DS Ride - Witt, Tr82, Buck Bald
    Cades Cove, Parsons Branch, Dragon

Ride Reports from our friends and to our area:

Heading Down to Murphy NC - KYwoodsrider
    54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative - Liberia
    September in the Smokeys - andy29847
    Sequatchie Valley - TN - ajones
    It was more of a gay heat -ihatefalling
    Six days of dual sport riding in the southern Smokies - klaviator
    Scootin Through Deals Gap - 318 Curves and 11 Horsepower - klaviator
    river rat ride - kennyh
    East TN noobe around Pitkin,CO - machinebuilder
    Wandering Mid-Tennessee; curves, twisties, goats, burros, creeks & Patsy Cline - ADVCoot
    Parson Branch and the Dragon - TigerTrek
    Dad Goes Camping in the Smokeys - 2013 - andy29847
    Tellico Adventure Trail Report - Braggi'tard

2. Mossy_Crk

Mossy_Crk Fallen over

Oddometer:
  3. machinebuilder

machinebuilder Long timer

Oddometer:
    A little time on your hands today Gabe?

I think the thread is a great idea.

I don't post too much about my riding here at home but it will be good to have a place to put a quick sentence or 2 about road conditions etc.

so From 2 weeks ago

Citico Rd....lots of potholes but in good shape

From Sunday, I Found a bunch of Trillium blooming above the Hatchery on River road (Tellico)

[​IMG]
  4. Linzi

Linzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't forget that Rick's Rendezvous will be in Hampton, TN, in mid-May. There's a thread, but I'm on my iPad, and ADV is too huge to search via Tapatalk, so you'll have to find it yourselves.

Don't know if TC and I will make it for anything beyond a cameo appearance (if that), but barnyard (Tom) will be staying with us in Knoxville on his way over from Minnesota.
  5. Mossy_Crk

Mossy_Crk Fallen over

Oddometer:
    I've had several conversations about that event. I'm surprised I missed it.

Anyone planning any cool riding tomorrow (Sat)?
  6. workerant

workerant Spaß im Dreck

Oddometer:
    This weekend is the Hickory Hills Observed Trials event at Joe Terry's place in Lenoir City. It's an STRA-sanctioned trials competition that goes from 9am 'til early afternoon both Saturday and Sunday. Spectators' admission is free. 950 Hwy 70 W, Lenoir City.

Thumper Thaw is technically in North Carolina next weekend, but it's shouting distance of ETN.

Also relevant: May 1-5 is Minis on the Dragon... 600-someodd Minis with drivers of all abilities. If you have to go to the Hill, go early or late. It's usually a clusterfuck.

May 25-26 (Memorial Day Weekend) is the FIM World Trial Wagner Cup [pdf warning] at the Trials Training Center in Sequatchie, TN. The best trials riders in the world will be competing on some of the most challenging terrain in the US.

From the 2008 Wagner Cup at Sequatchie:
    [​IMG]
  7. FormerInmate 081920

FormerInmate 081920 Guest

Oddometer:
    http://youtu.be/IPM-M79Lfrw

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IPM-M79Lfrw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  8. ETrider

ETrider Gawker

Oddometer:

I still want to hear your story about finding Wolf Creek Falls. :ear
  9. Mossy_Crk

Mossy_Crk Fallen over

Oddometer:
    That's a story for a ride or a meal sometime. The forum won't do it justice.
  10. Linzi

Linzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Key point emphasized in bold. Nothing like running up on some slowpoke, line-crossing Minis in a Ford Excursion. Good God. What a poopshow.
  11. Mossy_Crk

Mossy_Crk Fallen over

Oddometer:
    A few years ago I took a lunch and parked the bike at Parson's Branch to watch the show. I've seen drunk guys on lawnmowers pulling floats in the Savannah St. Paddy's Parade that could hold a line better than some of those folks. That one time was enough. I can't imagine ever being up there for this event again.
  12. Linzi

Linzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ever been during Honda Hoot?

Oh.
    My.
    God.

:lol3
  13. Mossy_Crk

Mossy_Crk Fallen over

Oddometer:
    My only Honda Hoot story involves a bunch of dudes on Goldwings getting turned around on Magnolia the night before things got going trying to find their hotel. Poor guys were scared out of their minds.
  14. Linzi

Linzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Poor Magnolia. So maligned!
  15. Dogscout

Dogscout Wow why and adventure

Oddometer:
    RX7's were up yesterday. Some very nice RX8's in fine trim, and lots of 7's in all manner of condition. Restored older one and clapped out ones too. The most dangerous ones were the clapped out 90's vintage cars with fart can exhausts. They were all over the place.
  16. ratthing

ratthing refrigerated cybercanine

Oddometer:
    Thanks for creating this thread and throwing all those links in the first post, makes things easier for a newb-to-the-area.

There is a 2-day Trials class at TTC immediately after the Wagner Cup, too. $300 for the two days of training alone, $500 for two days with bike rental. I'm going as a b-day prezzie to myself.

Tellico Plains seemed fairly busy yesterday, I stopped in to check out Minimike's store and to log some miles to get my new bike past the first maintenance checkpoint.
  17. Mossy_Crk

Mossy_Crk Fallen over

Oddometer:
    I went (spectator) to my first trials event today. Holy smokes! You folks need to get in on this. I wasn't even competing and only knew one of the riders and still had a riot today. If you've never seen trials live, I really think you ought to give it a look. Grats to one of our very own for placing and taking home trophies both days. There's something quite awesome about watching very planned, technical, and strategic riding. And damn, what a beautiful day today. I hope those that wanted to found time to ride this weekend.
  18. workerant

workerant Spaß im Dreck

Oddometer:
    O rly? I'm working the event and hadn't heard this. In fact, I sat with Charlie for like three hours this afternoon and STILL hadn't heard this. I'll have my Gas Gas there for the Wagner Cup... :clap

OBTW, this was today at Joe's: (this is Trent Webster, local hero and all-around great guy)

[​IMG]
  19. Mossy_Crk

Mossy_Crk Fallen over

Oddometer:
    Charlie was too busy busting Dan's chops.
  20. Mtn Man

Mtn Man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to see we have a new local thread! I did my first ride at Joe's a few weeks ago on a friends GasGas ... Wow, that is tough!!

I only rode two loops through the woods and one easy course and learned more than I would have ever imagined!

Thanks for the thread and hope I can learn one new riders. :thumb