2013 KTM National Rally INFO!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by cjracer, Oct 12, 2012.

1. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    I fully agree with you Craig. Rallies are for camping, not moteling. Unfortunately, Steamboat isn't very camper friendly. There is only one commercial campground in the area and it's about 5 miles from downtown and the nearest motels/restaurants. It's an old KOA with camping cabins and the tent area is on an island surrounded by the Yampa river. I don't know if KTM could reserve the entire island. The free bus to town uses the campground as a turn around but I don't think it runs late at night. That means everyone would have to drive to town to eat, drink, and be merry.

Dave
  2. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    Preride party at Questor's next year !! :norton
    Looks like a 2-week RIDE..... or a 2-day blast, there & back.
    I'll be checking in.......
    I'd enjoy a ride from Oregon to CO with those fuggers....

This ^^^^^^
    Camping on-site. Let's make a party out of this we don't have to drive home from :nod
  3. FROG950SE

FROG950SE n00b

Oddometer:
    Good Day Kids

The Canadian delegation will be there !!!!

The plan : Drive our Bus to Oregon (Apple Jam ) ? and start the ride from there .
    Do Oregon ORBDR AND UTAH AS well to Colorado and back to Oregon in 10 days possible ??
    Let me know what you have plan and we will meet on the way You guys are fun when you drink ...hahahahha

Nice meeting all of you !!!

I will post a ride in our Beautiful BC next spring and you are all invited my house as a base camp !!Wait for the details :deal..... Soon ....

Frog/ Claude
  4. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Hi Claude!

Great meeting and riding with you. :freaky
  5. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oregon to Colorado is about 1200 miles (1930km). Personally I'd suggest spending a whole week in Colorado and Utah.
  6. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build Supporter

Oddometer:
    Okay, I have a full year to get my bike back together again. There's no way my 990 won't make it this year. Unless it becomes a 1090 but I think I still have time for that. I promise that whatever I ride to Steamboat next year will be interesting.

Gregor
  7. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    I agree with CJ, it would have been perfect to combine more options at the rally in one location. I would have camped out more in Bend if it was at the venue. But I liked having a warm bed and hot shower on my arrival. I put Spencer and I through two long, full days getting to Bend and we arrived at 1:30am to high 30's passing Elk Lake with frost on the ground and a smoke haze. That ski condo rocked.

But the resort closed up too early at times. I missed out on meeting and hanging out with a lot of cool riders.

Jimmy Lewis was the FUCKIN BOMB!!! Thanks KTM for that virtuoso move.

I had way too much fun riding back... 3.5 weeks. Not sure how to pull off an encore. But already working on it. It was fantastic!!! Everyone I met was top notch. CJ is the real deal too!!!
  8. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    resort town in off season. Yeah Accommodations wont be hard to find. Im gonna try for this one.
  9. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    anyone have a flyer?
  10. Narsisco Lopez

Narsisco Lopez Addlepated

Oddometer:
    Steamboat Springs doesn't really have an off-season these days, but there's no shortage of accommodations.
  11. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    No flyer has been posted yet, most likely won't until they get lodging sorted. I'm surprised they had Dates already. Very helpful of KTM to give those out so soon.
  12. xcflyn

xcflyn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have stayed at the campground Dave mentioned, I believe it is also a trailer park (was many years ago when I was there) ,I remember people picking the bus up there to ride to work/school and it was not too early in the morning. It was a decent place then. I mostly remote camp where ever I decided to drop a kick stand. But for those that dont need flush toilets are there many national forest campgrounds ? Maybe one could be targeted ? I know its probably a crap shoot, I dont know if you can reserve those, here again if in the national forest you can camp anywhere. Rough camping is a bit more fun and generally you can grab showers at a hotel or campground for a few bucks if you sweet talk the person at the desk, even a gym if there is one in town that has showers ? Colorado Streams dont offer much in the way of relaxing warm water bathing, but they do the trick if you dont want to offend your new friends. Just some thoughts.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    this is a better weekend however then the next as that weekend is also brewfest weekend http://www.steamboat-chamber.com/info/events/sbcccalendarevent.steamboat.oktoberwest.item.asp
    this weekend is kinda a lull before the final blowout weekend in the boat before winter. also peak fall color is not fully here yet.

yes lodging is expensive in steamboat but the bunkhouse http://www.thebunkhouselodge.com/
    nordic lodge http://www.nordiclodgeofsteamboat.com/
    and western lodge have the best prices http://www.western-lodge.com/
    the nordic always seemed the most packed for downtown lodging.

another option is the hot springs
    http://www.strawberryhotsprings.com/2005/ where you can camp or rent a covered wagon, cabin or cabose.
  14. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    where is the main venue?
    like dave, i'm also from steamboat and there are several others on ADV who are too and live there now.

what about the guys land who puts on the vintage mx races over near cow creek? someone will chime in with his name as i emailed all my boat friends this thread.

16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    ?
    this rally is 13-14th the brewfest is the 21st.
    this chosen weekend is a slower one in steamboat.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    http://www.steamboatcampground.com/maps.html
    dave is talking about the campsites on the lower map left side.
  18. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the "better" part of your post. Better would be the Brewfest & the KTM Rally on the same weekend :thumb At least that's the way I'm thinking :nod
  19. FlyingPenguin

FlyingPenguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll om with his info. I've been there several times for the VMX. It is an awesome place- great track area for the MX, cool sections for the trails, and oh yeah, pretty roomy for camping.
  20. whitewater18

whitewater18 funhog

Oddometer:
    This year we started to get frost on September 9th. Later it scheduled, the colder camping it will be.... I've even seen snow as early as September 20th. Usually the 2nd weekend is historical great weather!!

I may know a few land owners a few miles from town that would probably host this event on their land.

CJRacer; If you are part of the organizing of the event, or know who is, then let me know. I can help a lot with the event as I am a long time resident of the Boat and have some experience in putting together short term management events. :deal

Very glad KTM is coming to Colorado for this event in 2013. :clap