Richmond Va chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by mikeinrichmond, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Charles

Charles Formerly known as Dr Whipit Supporter

Oddometer:
    Air soft pellets seem like they would be too big and of too little density to do the job that Dyna Beads do. I just put Dyna Beads in and they are maybe .020" dia. at the largest, and probably made of ceramic. I've talked to someone who believes Dyna Beads are just ceramic bead-blasting media and found a 50 lb. bucket for about $200. If a bunch of us go in on a bucket, that's $4 a pound (about 4-8 tires worth), vs. about $80/lb. when sold as "Dyna Beads". I'm gonna PM the dude and see if he's looked into this further. :hmmmmm:wink:
  2. teeter

teeter Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer:
    Hey folks,

I need to do an engine swap on my truck and my driveway just isn't the place for it. Does anybody have garage (or even driveway space) that they want to make some money on for a month or so?

Thanks!
  3. fahrenheit

fahrenheit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone ever been to Taqueria Panchito on Midlothian? Was watching something on telemundo last night and kept seeing commercials for it. Checked out the menu and it looks awesome :tb
  4. rctr

rctr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Teeter,

Why would you need a month? Let's just do it!

Rctr
    Jimmy
  5. jwray76

jwray76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 and I would be willing to go in for some of the beads. Shouldn't be a problem to come up with 20 folks on here to buy $10 worth. What I really need to do is talk the shop at work into using this type of beads :evil
  6. teeter

teeter Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer:
    Yeah.. I thought about that 'month' thing and realized it was a drastic exaggeration. I'm thinking a long weekend. I may source a motor in few weeks.
  7. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's wrong with your driveway?
  8. btblueskies

btblueskies BTBlueSkies

Oddometer:

I'd take 10 lbs of that.... It'd be nice to have some Dyna Beads and these beads side by side to check em out..

As for the size of the beads... I can see where the smaller beads would make smaller 'cluster size' around the locations where they come to dynamic rest, however, it would have the same effect physically as a larger size cluster from larger beads. It would in effect be a practical equivalence.... or so I would think.

I can imagine advantages and disadvantages to different bead sizes and densities. I think it would take a proper research project to find out the facts though. If anyone has a crush meter we could find out their relative strength (crush point) at least ;)

So far though... I am happy with the result with the airsoft. I'd be nice though to be able to add them through the valve stem as with dyna-beads.
  9. skychs

skychs chuck smith Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not at home today to check but there is a ceramic brand of beads that work differently than the Dyna Beads. Somehow (PFM) after the beads settle in the tire thay stay attached to the rubber instead off falling to the bottom of the wheel every time you stop. Could be a static charge that does it, not sure. I will look at them when I get home. I picked them up at a bike show at a booth across from the Dyna Beads booth.

I'd be willing to pitch in for the bucket of beads, what ever the brand. I have been very happy with the results.
  10. Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sic Semper Tyrannis Plays with Banjos, Boats and Bikes...

Oddometer:
    I'd try some as well.
  11. ddlewis

ddlewis Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd go in on a bucket o beads

Never tried these beads because I can't get my head around how they could possibly work. "Magically migrate opposite the heavy spots" does not hold water for me, and spin balancer machines agree. They apparently do something though.. Maybe just general vibration damping.

Still tempted to do a seat of the pants test on the beads to see if I'm missing out on something. I'd really like to try them on the Miata which has a mystery tire vibration between 67-72 mph that normal balancing doesn't fix
  12. burtonrider3889

burtonrider3889 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody use Maverick GPS for their phone? I just found it and it looks like it stores lots of different kinds of maps for use, mainly when you don't have cell service. I just downloaded it so I don't know how well it works, but I will be trying it in a couple weeks when I take the bike camping.

On a side note, I just installed my first farkle. A rear rack. Looks great.

On another side note, is there anymore information on the BRT trip that was being planned for the Summer time? I'm collecting my gear slowly, but my Summer weekends are booking up fast.
  13. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't like using my phone on the bike as a GPS. I prefer a dedicated GPS unit. Waterproof, Usable with gloves, better routing(larger array of routing preferences), download routes from home computer, track logs, waypoints etc..

Though for the car I'm always looking for a better option. I keep coming back to Google Maps though. Tried Waze, Navigon and a few others, but I keep coming back to Google Maps. If you find that Maverick works well, let me know. I'll give it a shot.
  14. btblueskies

btblueskies BTBlueSkies

Oddometer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg

This video may help you wrap your mind around it. There is another one I cannot seem to find that helped me 'get' it. The key is that the rotating structure is on a movable axis. If it is on a fixed axis it will not work. Since the tires are attached to suspension, it works in this case. The key is that when the tire starts to spin fast enough to vibrate, the beads move around randomly, and they happen to land in spots that reduce the vibration. The beads in essence 'migrate' to the locations that stop the vibrations. Then they stop moving.
  15. burtonrider3889

burtonrider3889 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use Google Maps for the car, and I would love a dedicated GPS for the bike at some point. I wouldn't mount my phone on the handlebars ever, but if I get a wolfman tank bag I will put it in the map case and just run the charger to it until I can get an actual GPS. I have a lot more farkles to do before I can get a GPS. One thing that is cool about Maverick is the Speedo is built in, you can switch to different maps, I believe you can load your own files in, and you can start a track then click back track to get back to where you were. Now again, this is just from me looking at it this morning. I have not used it in the field yet, but if it works it will be awesome. I plan on trying it out for my camping trip in a couple weeks since I'll be flying solo and hitting the forest roads you guys always do, but i've never personally been on. If it works it will help me find my way back.

If anyone would like to join me for the day I'll be heading out Friday the 17th. I'll be camping with friends for a bachelor weekend so I would have to branch off at some point in the afternoon, but we could ride up 60 together in hit trails for most of the day.
  16. fragile_this_side_up

fragile_this_side_up Long timer

Oddometer:
    rammount offers an aquabox for cell phones to keep them waterproof while on the handlebars. i have a rammount on my SV and my DL and love it. works well for GPS.
  17. DrGo

DrGo Wander, where I am

Oddometer:
    Speaking of HD, I am looking to sell my 2009 ultra. Got the bike when I did more 2 up riding with my wife. But now that she is riding her own, I'm looking more for a mostly one up, sport tourer.

I have looked at the 2013 fjr (handle bar risers?), honda st (where to try and buy???), bmw 1200 rt (nice low seat, but how reliable is the shaft drive and isn't a new one coming out?). Am I missing some other option?

Clearly, still at research stage, so I'd love some input, suggestions, experiences.
  18. kwn306

kwn306 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You won't see a new BMW RT for about 18 months in the states, maybe 12 months, but the plan is for the GS to test the waters before changing the line up. BMW has finally solved the rear end issues, now they have fuel pump controller issues, it is always something when you push technology far to fast.

You can look at a Moto Guzzi Norge and a Kawasaki Concours C14 as they are both Sport Touring as well. Both of those bikes are built proof.
  19. kwn306

kwn306 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK Inmates, I'm looking for two VA License plates, one of each 1979 and 1974.

Was going to put antique tags on my old Guzzi's but the restrictions for the antique plates suck, the bike can not be more than 250 miles from my home.

My only other choice is to run vintage tags on the bikes, that way I can insure them on the cheap.

Any ideas on where to find some old M/G plates?
  20. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got an '06 FJR that I'll make you great deal on (about 1/2 the price of new). All set up for touring! Bar risers are already installed!