GEIGERRIG Pressurized Hydration Packs

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by GEIGERRIG, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Wattner

Wattner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Received my bright yellow kit and it looks fantastic!!!!! My only thought is I should have ordered the 3L bladder in lieu of the 2L

I assume the 3L will fit in the 500???

Thanks again Bob for the fantastic product!
  2. FYYFF

FYYFF Forever young...

Oddometer:
    That is exactly what I was thinking. I put my Rig500 on test in Death Valley this weekend and I am sure that I need a bigger bladder for that.
    We can fit a 3 L one in Rig500, right???
  3. dogen

dogen certified JB welder

Oddometer:
    I got a 3 litre geigerrig " hydration engine" and I think it's too big for my purposes. I'm willing to trade with someone who has an unused 2 litre one.
    PM me if interested.
  4. motobone

motobone Free for all!

Oddometer:
    I just found this product and will be ordering soon, but first I have a few questions.

Bob, Are there any plans to have a "clam shell" design in the future? This would be a good place to roll up a jacket for when the day heats up.

I too would like to know if a 3L will fit into the 500.

Thanks in advance.
  5. GEIGERRIG

GEIGERRIG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hb,

Thanks for the questions. Thanks for the interest in GEIGERRIG.

1) YES. The RIG 500 can host a 3 Litre Hydration Engine; however, it comes with a 2 Litre Hydration engine. Because of the filtration capability of GEIGERRIG, some people prefer to start off with less sink water because they can always refill. Carry less weight, resupply more often.

Bottom line though...the 3 Litre engine does work in the RIG 500.

2) Clam Shell Design: We've been focusing on the development of many new designs for many purposes and uses. There are so so many ways to go. I would welcome a phone call from you at our offices: 801-823-3336 to discuss your ideas and thoughts so that we can communicate them to our engineers. Just ask for me when you contact the office.

Thanks!

Bob

6. GEIGERRIG

GEIGERRIG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just thought that I would share this recent editorial that we received. We are so appreciative of the community here at ADV Rider. THANKS! -

Editor's Choice - Adventure World Magazine
    GEIGERRIG Hydration Packs

"THESE ARE THE BEST HYDRATION BLADDERS ON THE MARKET..." - Editor

Adventure World Logo.jpg

www.GEIGERRIG.com

These are the best hydration bladders on the market. They have plenty of well deserved awards to prove it. The bladders are actually called engines because, while they look similar to a regular bladder, they actually spray water. Just pinch the bite valve with your teeth or fingers and the water sprays right out so that you can keep the oxygen flowing into your lungs while you drink. You pump up a separate chamber in the engine to pressurize it with a ball similar to that of a blood pressure cuff which is stowed in a pouch on the shoulder strap of your pack. The hose snaps on and off easily with a quick release and the top of the engine slides open completely letting everything dry out quickly with no hiding spots for the water. [It even turns inside out for cleaning in the top shelf of your dishwasher.] The bite valve never leaks, which blows me away. Every other valve I've had leaks constantly and they aren't even pressurized! Adding the feather-light water filter extends your water supply to fifty gallons.

Their packs come in several different sizes, but they are all incredibly tough and well padded with plenty of well thought-out pockets and straps to organize and stow equipment. I wasn't affraid to load these things down with the heaviest gear I could find and nothing is going to stab through the ballistic nylon.

Check outwww.GEIGERRIG.com for the full product line and details. (Click Here)

- Editor, Aventure World Magazine

Click Here for the link to this article in Adventure World Magazine.
  7. JDLuke

JDLuke Ravening for delight

Oddometer:
    My 3 liter hydration engine came in yesterday. I haven't had a chance to do anything with it as yet, but I'm impressed by the thoughtfulness that went into the design.

One of the aspects that really sold me was the fact that the hoses are of a quick-disconnect design. For those of us who have Rally 2 Pro jackets, that's a major benefit, because tearing open the jacket layers to run the hoses is a real pain. I'll still have to open it up to get to the pocket where the reservoir sits, but it will be much easier to do refills this way.
  8. Toompine

Toompine Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Got my bladder and a few days later the filter arrived. I have been looking at bladders for a year now. I have one I got from Aerostich with the big open top and one in my Camelback which is really hard to clean. I wanted some flexiblity to put a bladder in my jacket or in a tank bag or maybe in a tank saddelbag. I have had terrible luck with actually using a water bladder with the need to suck hard to get it going and the wrong end to use inside a full face helmet, consquently I did not hydrate enough.

The Geigerrig bladder, hose and pump is amazing. Easy to fill, easy to clean and very easy to use. The pressure pump makes all the difference in the world and now I am liking the constant "sips" without all the drama. This is a really well thought out and tested product that delivers on its promises and is really high quality. Love the quick disconnects too. Have not used the filter yet on "bad water" but will try that in a few weeks in a test. I am not sure that bad water is in my plans but the peace of mind to know you are covered is worth a lot. Great product, great people. This is the product to get:clap
  9. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guys I just returned from a long weekend where I used the Geigerrig quite a bit. I used it in my tankbag and made a small insulating pocket for it. It held the water cold all day.

Here is the bare bladder

[​IMG]

The material is called reflectix and available in most Lowe's

[​IMG]

bladder in the pocket

[​IMG]

Top made to go over the pocket

[​IMG]

Cut a corner off so the hoses could get outside of the pocket

[​IMG]

sitting in my wolfman rainier tankbag

[​IMG]

here are the exposed pieces. It is very usable while riding down the road.

[​IMG]

I will still carry it on my bike when DS riding but when touring I plan to use it in the tank bag so I do not have to carry it all day.

Just an FYI
  10. Plinkerton

Plinkerton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm gonna jump on board.

I've always preferred Platypus bladders over CamelBaks, but these things look awesome. Especially being able to filter.
  11. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    well I had some time with my Hydration engine
    so I will I need to say a few words

The geigerrig folks have down right impressed me with customer service
    so that needs to be said and a huge thumbs up there. Emails from the Pres are not often come by in the world for consumer to product communications. These guys stand behind their product and let you know it. One can only wish same could be said about companies that make our motorcycles.

So my time with the bladder so far has consisted of a few hikes and bike rides and here are some things I felt needed mentioning;

The bladder is really well made, materials feel top quality and even look nice not that you care about that when they are in your pack but it is nice to see the attention to detail. The hoses and valves are really sturdy and do their job well. The pump works PERIOD. Having pressure in the bladder is just plain smart and beats sucking by miles especially when the bladder is getting low and you out of breath. Being able to spray folks from a distance is just something I have waaaay too much fun with and my 2.5 year old son loves it. The bite valve is awesome. Takes some getting used to the fact that it takes no effort at all to have the water flowing but I certainly am not going back.

By far though the best thing is just flopping the thing into the dishwasher.
    No need for crazy cleaning procedures, and bye bye nasty tasting water and repeated bladder purchases.

I have not tested the the filter with dirty water yet (there was no need) but I did feel the need to test the bladder with the filter on and I will say that it works as advertised, water is pushed through without any trouble.

I haven't yet strapped an explosive device to it to challenge the leak warranty but I am pretty confident that it will work as advertised. Everything else did.

Those that have other types of packs and are considering the bladder alone, I can say go ahead I don't think you will regret it. I had no problems fitting into my Camel branded packs and a a few others I have around.
    I have the 2L but I had plenty of space to fit the 3L into all of them.
    All the packs but one had a strap to secure the pump on the left shoulder
    and on the one that didn't a sweat band was used and worked flawlessly.
    With the free filter I can say that this is just an unbeatable value even if you completely disregard the unique features and quality.

A big big thumbs up for this product and I strongly recommend it
    to anyone who has considered using a hydration bladder as a means of carrying water or is in the market for one and not sure where to spend their money. From my experience it really does not get better then this.
  12. Road Trip

Road Trip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, i ordered mine ....500 Ballistic. Look forward to receiving, gearing up for a rookie trip down the CDR this summer.

GB, thanks for organizing the pro-mo.

RT
  13. B.C.Biker

B.C.Biker mighty fine

Oddometer:
    This might have been covered and I missed it but as I understand it we order it direct and it comes from a seperate supplier ? Any shipping options or availability in Canada ? UPS sucks donkies with their extra fees and is often a deal breaker.
  14. vagabondtx

vagabondtx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alright, I got tired of smelling my latest Camelbak bladder and then reading all these rave reviews... Just ordered my 500 Citrus and an extra 3L system for those hot Texas rides... Looking forward to testing :)
  15. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode today about 150 miles with the 1200 pack. I think for my uses the 1200 will be the most often used pack. It has the larger bladder and it has plenty of space in it for a few incidentals.
  16. Plinkerton

Plinkerton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got my 3L bladder today.

It fits great in my CamelBak Trailblazer that I've had for years. It has 2 holes coming out of the bladder section, which works great for the drinking tube and the pump.

My old Platypus bladder was working great, but I was intrigued.

The Geiger is very well made, as was previously mentioned. Fittings are top notch, as are hoses, etc.

Very well thought out, and very well made.

I didn't think not having to suck would matter, but walking around the house with it on, it really is nice, and makes a difference.

One of the coolest things is that I can remove the pump and drinking tube from the bag without feeding them thru the holes in my pack, and remove the bladder for cleaning. It's pretty rad.

The only "con" I can think of, is that when pumped up, it can round out your pack a little. Before, my bladder would kind of mold to by back. With the Geiger, you can feel it a little. But a little loosening and adjusting of the straps fixed that.

Because of my stupid post office, I didn't get the filter yet, but that part was the selling point for me.

I think it's cool to be able to essentially never run out of water.

Will this thing filter pee?

Just kidding...

Anyway, Geigerrigs are sweet.

Buy one.

Or three.

EDIT: Oh, and when I emailed Geiger about the post office sending the filter back, he responded immediately and said he'd take care of it. GREAT customer service.
  17. GEIGERRIG

GEIGERRIG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Plinkerton,

You are quite right that the pack can round out a bit when pressurized. However, when loaded in a GEIGERRIG pack...especially the RIG 500 and RIG 700, you will find that this isn't much of an issue at all. Our packs a designed specifically to facilitate the pressurized benefits that the GEIGERRIG offers without the affect that you mentioned. When loaded into a Camelbak pack, you certainly may experience the rounding affect. The Camelbak packs assume that you are going to suck and therefore do not anticipate the inclusion of a pressurized hydration system where sucking is not required.

Thanks for your purchase of a Geigerrig, and don't be a stranger. Always feel free to contact us directly anytime: bob@hubcityoutdoor.com or 801-823-3336.

Sincerely,

Bob Geiger

18. McFuryMcNugget

McFuryMcNugget me specie in dea ist

Oddometer:
    IIIIIIIhhhaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAA

Super.

Its a good deal im dead serious and the system works great.

My best to Bob.

McFury / Iceland
  19. OCDKen

OCDKen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> RIG700 = Great! Geigerrig Service = Great! ADVRider Deal = Great!
    Go Geigerrig and ADVRider! Wa-hoo.

I ordered my Geigerrig 700 Blue on Saturday evening. Woke up on Monday to find an email from Bob waiting for me. My filter and tube are being shipped today. On Tuesday I got an email with a tracking number from the assigned Geigerrig shipper. Oh boy, Oh boy ... it’s coming! The RIG700 was delivered today. I expect the filter and tube tomorrow (they had further to travel).

Like everyone else already found out, the Geigerrig is an incredibly well designed and built unit with lots of very nice big and little details. The attention to small detail surprised me a couple times while I was setting it up. From the elastic or Velcro loops that keep the strap ends under control, the drain hole at the bottom of the bladder pouch, the elastic bands that provide comfortable tension for the chest strap while you still have the full strain relief of the nylon straps, the internal hard plate that protects the bladder from the contents of the pack (and distributes the pressure of the pack contents and sharp objects against the whole bladder surface). The just details go on and on. I looked closely and I cannot find one crooked or unfinished seam or any signs of poor construction. It’s simply a great product. Wa-hoo.

I was even able to set the RIG700 up so it fits me very comfortably. I have never been able to get any other hydration pack to fit comfortably. Again, Wa-hoo!

Disclosure: I am a complete n00b with hydration packs. Never owned one before. I could never find one I thought would do the job for me. I've looked at them for years and have even bought a few, but every time they were returned immediately after closer inspection disclosed how badly they sucked overall (pun intended).

I am looking forward to testing the RIG700 more fully on a day ride this Saturday and will post again after some real experience. Wa-hoo.

Cons. I need to be honest with the inmates. I have to be pretty nit picky to find anything for this anyway and I was able to resolve everything easily anyway, so not much of a con really.

Upon inspection, I discovered the o-ring in the quick disconnect for the air pump was pinched and deformed. A little rubbing to warm it up and mash the squashed area back into the correct shape seemed somewhat successful, so I reassembled it. The pump and bladder operated leak free during later tests.

Ahhh, the short waist strap... I had it about one inch from fully extended (I'm 6'0", 175) when wearing the RIG700 over my Rallye Pro 2 Jacket (the blues even work together as I was hoping. Wa-hoo!). Length of the strap would have been ok for me most of the time, but it probably would not be so comfortable, say ... after a Holiday dinner. Seems like the belt was sized without considering it will also be worn over safety gear on motorcycles. Closer examination finds that you can offset the Velcro that attaches around the D rings at the pack, so only 50% of the Velcro is sticking together. This adds around two more inches to each strap.

Despite the 2 functional concepts for managing the excess strap ends, elastic in the waist strap and Velcro loops for the shoulder straps, the chest strap has nothing I can find to restrain the loose end?!? Since I am not planning on using the waist belt (at least initially), I just took one of the elastic loops from the waist belt and moved it to the chest strap. It’s a little big, but Bingo, I'm all set.

Suggestion.
    I watched all of the videos on your Youtube channel. You need to weed out duplicates and title the clips better. It would be real nice to have at least one in-depth 'instruction' video that specifically points out all the features, how they work and what they can be used for (for us n00bs). Close up's, action shots, etc. E.g. you currently have a shot of you operating the quick release valve in your video, but it is shot from quite a distance. It would be nice if there were also a close up. It's not like I couldn't figure it out easily though. Point out the vertical adjustment in the chest strap, etc. Don’t need to go into the ‘it squirts’ thing so heavy in this video, we already drank the Kool-Aid and bought one.

Thanks again to Bob and Gigerrig for such an awesome product!

Inmates - if you haven't bought one of these yet, do it! You won't be sorry you bought the best!
  20. Serp

Serp Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Re: B.C.Bikers question about shipping options.
    Sent a PM to Geigerrig asking if shipping can be via U.S. Postal Service to Canadians.
    UPS and Fedex charge (excessive) brokerage fees when shipping across the border whereas USPS doesn't charge anything but the shipping costs.