Battery Alternative

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Yellow Pig, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    FYI - Was at Sears the other day getting a new battery for my car and saw that they carry a DieHard Gold AGM sealed battery for the KTM 950. The 14BS which fits the 950 sells for $87.
  2. amaunu

amaunu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why on earth have to replace Yuasa? Ex-transalp battery worked seven years without problem by original Yuasa. 950 05 has one that acts like new so it has to be quality brand.

Ofcourse original replacement is expensive, but how many cheaper versions you consume for life of one one quality piece, have to ask???
    AdamM001 likes this.
  3. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    Big differance between a "sealed" battery and a gel battery. The 950 has a gel battery in it that can be mounted upside down if need be and they're WAY more money. You can see in the Sears picture of the sealed battery that it comes with acid that YOU have to put in...than "seal" it up.
    I had a Yuasa shit the bed in a year and a half and just replaced it with a Interstate gel. Let's see how long that lasts.
    See Ya!
    Chris
  4. LoFlow

LoFlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I've installed dozens of Interstate batteries in cars over the years and can't really ever remember having a problem with any one of them. Please keep us posted on how it works out for you.
  5. gbx2001

gbx2001 Geophiz Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had mixed success with various battery names over the years in both cars and motorbikes, but it is always good to have another source. If I experienced battery troubles I would rather spend $100 and have my bike on the road than have to wait days (or weeks) trying to source a new OEM battery.

The Sears website states that the battery is AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) and that the battery can be mounted in various positions, so it appears that the Sears battery would be comparable to the original OEM Absorbed Glass Mat Yuasa. I did not check the manufacturer's performance specifications for a full comparison of the respective batteries.

I would be interested in hearing about your experiences and satisfaction with both the Sears and Allstate batteries.

Thanks for posting.
  6. zmotomann

zmotomann No Quarter

Oddometer:
    I just installed a odssessey 310 on my SE The SE mounts so nice under the seat. The 310 is a bit smaller then the stocker and and pos and neg
    are swaped but no big deal The cables are long enough to swap easy and the battery comes with spade conn to and on top of the mounting bolts if you want to. I paid $140

I bike lights right off as soon as you hit the button. TIME will tell if it is good , I have been using Odssessey's for a long time on what ever I can fit them in and they are very tough batteries and last a long time.

I pushed my SE 1.5 miles out of a wash last weekend becasue I left the head light on for a few minutes and it would not crank over nor could I get it to jump start either sand is a bitch on a big twin to jump start....

I would have posted pics but I still can't. but others are posting pics?????
  7. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    FYI- The OEM Yuasa and the Sears DieHard are both Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Technology sealed batteries (i.e. identical).

The OEM one is not a gel battery.
  8. Super Enduro R

Super Enduro R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    is that before or after you fitted the odessey ?
  9. viatormundi

viatormundi Citizen of the world

Oddometer:
    Would this Odyssey 310 fit to 990 Adventure's battery compartment?
  10. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    yes, it will fit
  11. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    I believe gel batteries could be longer lasting. I don't know if they can be mounted in an inclination. Cheers.
  12. viatormundi

viatormundi Citizen of the world

Oddometer:
    Thx for the info. I should check these batteries, my original Yuasa is getting weaker.
  13. socalslim

socalslim n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure the Sears label and the Interstate brand are both made by Yuasa.
  14. gweaver

gweaver NorCal is Best Cal! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll need to check that out too. My battery went belly up. Called NAPA, and based on research done here, and their suggestions, bought an ETX14, made by DEKA. Doesn't fit. Too tall. Stock height is ~4 1/4", this one is 5 5/8". Called them- they say they have smaller batteries, but I've got to remember to bring electrical specs. Anyone know what the specs are for the 950?

Thanks,
    Greg
  15. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. BAGSTR

BAGSTR One Project a Day

Oddometer:
    The unit in my 2007 US 990A failed to start today. The accessory socket reads 12.56 volts with the key off and 11.95 with the key on and the headlight off. (Euro headlight & Switch) 21 months seems short lived to me... What life are your Orange Monster batteries getting?
    I will check the battery drain test tommorow. i.e. disconnect battery neg and measure current to ground. Manual standard is 2mA or less. Otherwise I have current drain somewhere.
  17. Chipper

Chipper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had one in my SE for about a year. I worry a bit about batteries as I run an auto clutch and ride in Mexico a lot. This batt is amazing! Because my FCR's don't have a choke circuit, some mornings I need to abuse the starter a bit. The Braille can really crank!
  19. ErrinV

ErrinV D Boon!

Oddometer:
    I'm in need of a new battery, and the OP lists the 14-BS from Sears. However, my battery is a 14-S. What is the difference, and will the 14-BS fit? The 14-S is listed as being available at my local Sears, but the 14-S is a special order.

Thanks.
  20. Nailhead

Nailhead Puck Futin Supporter

Oddometer:
    You do have a load on the battery-- it's the clock, and it's a good reason to buy a Battery Tender if you don't ride very frequently.