Crash Bars On Your F650 / F800

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by markymcd, Nov 21, 2008.

1. david.bergen

david.bergen n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anybody has a picture off the front with Holan bars fitted to a F650gs.
    There are lots off pictures with the F800 but how does it look on the F650 as It has the smaller radiator.

From viewing stand point I think the Sw motech and the adventure bars are too wide when put on a F650.
  2. F800 Rob

F800 Rob MotoInsight

Oddometer:
    It's a bad one, and shows the Chrome Nickel version, but should answer your question:

[​IMG]
  3. david.bergen

david.bergen n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the picture.
    Do you have a frontview picture?

I have been reading all the crash bar threads but mostly ,the pictures are the f800 .
    Do you have an idea which bars are the better fitted ones for the f650?

David
  4. replicant

replicant consummate n00b

Oddometer:
    Hepco & Becker: http://f800depot.com/hepco-becker-crash-bars-f650800-p-260.html
  5. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    2 days ago I found a video of someone pushing an F800 over in the grass to show how the crash bars work, now today I can't find it?

I am pretty sure it was here. Anybody got a link (sorry)
  6. lmclamore

lmclamore Citation Collector

Oddometer:
    towpro - Check F800Riders - I believe it was a Metal Mule ad.
  7. dj_00

dj_00 GunkL

Oddometer:
    I have a 2010 BMW F650GS. Wunderlich makes crash bars / engine skid for the F650GS/F800GS, but the center stand skid is only for the F800GS.
    Anyone have this combo, f650gs with wunderlich bars/skid and a center stand skid? Which center stand skid, and how do you like it?
  8. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    :huh Pictures to follow.

I will be ordering a replacement set, because I do like them, but I think I have found a bit of a weakness.
  9. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:

Is there anything you can't break?! :lol3
  10. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    4 minute mile?
  11. F800 Rob

F800 Rob MotoInsight

Oddometer:
    If there had to be a first, I'm glad it's you. Can't wait to see what they look like and hear the story behind it.
  12. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    No real story. I've never really even crashed the bike. Unless a tipover going a couple of MPH counts.

Rob will be getting a credit card # soon enough.:deal
  13. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Here you go. I'm tempted to make a sleeve for the front tube and through bolt it. I don't know.

[​IMG]
  14. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    4 minute mile! Nice!

Strange it sheared right there, and not at the bolt hole...
  15. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Holans are listed as a special order now. May look in to the Altrider bars.
    Please tell me they aren't made in China.:ear

Found my own answer

Made in America

From the earliest stages of design to packing up the finished piece for shipping, AltRider products are made entirely in the United States. We are proud to stay local with our manufacturing. We believe a high level of quality is possible thanks to strong relationships with all our suppliers.
  16. Numb

Numb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have the altrider crashbars on my 658gs - just put them on a couple weeks ago, look great and more importantly are very solidly mounted

install was a snap, and their service is good to (revzilla left a part out, but AR shipped it immediately upon contacting them)
  17. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:

Not strange at all... The sharp corner on the bar is a giant stress concentration and a great place for a fatigue crack to start. While holes also exhibit these qualities they do much better than sharp corners. (Trust me, I studied fracture mechanics, the most common methods of introducing a crack into a sample coupon is to machine a 90 deg sharp corner into it)

Like John suggested a sleeve with new holes and removing that whole mid section crap should be strong enough to keep going.
  18. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 :lol3
  19. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks Ender, that's good info.
  20. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:

Anytime :D

A quick comment on the theory behind corner design in mechanical systems...

Outward pointy corners (example: the corners of a cube) are no problem for stress.

Inward pointy corners (like on that bar) are problems for fatigue, anything that experiences cyclic loading may eventually fail due to a crack originated at the point.

How do we avoid this?... simple :D add a radius to the corner.

While parts with a radius or a sharp corner have minimal overall strength differences the resistance to fatigue stress is significant for a smooth corner with a generous radius.

On a complete side note and mainly for my own amusement, I have to say none of this holds true for composites and parts made of carbon fiber or kevlar layers may exhibit the exact opposite characteristics. One of my favorite stories is about some engineers at Bell laboratories working on a composite helicopter rotor assembly part originally made of aluminum. When they mimicked the shape of the aluminum part (radii in the corners) it would tear itself to pieces. No one knew what to do until one engineer had a revelation and eliminated the radii from the composite part. The forces experienced by the part were exactly 90 deg apart and isolated from each other. This means the radii in the composite part were transmitting forces from one direction to the other... the composite was designed for strength only in the required direction and the fibers pulled themselves apart because they did not have any support in the opposite direction. Once the radii were eliminated the part functioned perfectly. (It's been a while since I've told this so I could be missing one part of the story but you should get the point :evil)