bag that fits on passenger seat?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by crunchiespg, May 27, 2013.

1. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    does anyone have suggestions for a good, quick release tail bag that would sit nicely on the passenger seat area of my 990?
    ideally i want to keep the rear rack free for a larger ortlieb holdall, and ive decided i really like the 990 without a tank bag..
    so i need something that i can throw a water bottle, gloves, wallet etc and other quick access stuff for easy reach..
    im also thinking of set ups for when doing bigger journeys. ideally i dont want side panniers, just a holdall or two strapped at the rear.

any suggestions for any that fit well? or even better pics of your set up?
    cheers
  2. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    Kreiga US10? Thats what I use on my Adv for small stuff like waterproofs, a bit of shopping, drink bottle.
  3. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    looks like the perfect thing.. i might try and check out the 20 too..
    cheers
  4. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a 20 and a 10... should be just what i need..
    thank you
  5. BigTony

BigTony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi there crunchiespg - I'm super curious how these work for you since I'm feeling the same and looking to get away from the tank bag

If you get a chance please let us know how the 10 and 20 compare and fit!
  6. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    i will do... from the reviews i read they seem perfect...

ill maybe strap a small zip pocket to the outside for quick access to a water bottle.

when they arrive i'll do a full review..
  7. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    here's a couple of choice .. first one is huge, second for medium size loads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. KTMbageera

KTMbageera Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use my Giant Loop Coyote. It fits great and leaves the rack vacant. They come in Orange.
  9. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
  10. ten_fiver

ten_fiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. I run an orange Giant Loop Great Basin. It sits on the passenger seat with a large rollie bag on the rear rack. The advantage of the GL is that it will also hold a ton of stuff.
  11. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeh the little 10l kriega seems to be the thing I need. And the ortlieb sacks for the bigger stuff.
    Thanks for the pointers guys.
  12. DuctTape

DuctTape Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Kriega 20 and it holds 2 spare tubes, irons, electrical kit with meter, first aid kit, tire patch/pump kit and a extra base layer. I use shave kits you can get at Walmart for stuff like first aid and electrical kits. Then I have dry bags also bought from Walmart for stuff like tubes/tire irons, clothes, etc.

Easy on and off.

[​IMG]
  13. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    my us-10 and us-20 are here..
    great pieces of kit.. however, im struggling to figure out how best to mount them. i didnt really pay attention before today, but ive now discovered there is no exposed sub frame under the rear of the seat.

so where are you guys strapping the loop straps?

just looping them under the seat doesnt work well, and i cant figure out how else to attach them securely.

any suggestions?
  14. DuctTape

DuctTape Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have pannier racks and attache the front straps to the front support on the rack since I use the 20 even with the panniers. I then have the CJ design rear plate/rack which has all sorts of slots and I attache the rear straps to that. You don't have to buy the panniers to purchase the mounts and they really are nice for protecting the rear of the bike and help when picking it up or pushing the bike around.

I'll see about getting you some pics.
  15. BigNastybrp

BigNastybrp Big Nasty

Oddometer:
    I use a Sea to summit dry sack more then any other option. but any dry sack would work good and cheap.
    one thought, I would not put my wallet in and thing but a closeable/zip pocket jacket or pants.

Once I had a head on and lost my wallet from my back pocket of my 501's and the cop was pissed about it. I was all broken up and he was asking where is it. just thought of losing it on along trip when what ever bag fly's off in Baja:lol3 Shit happens. well to me
  16. Reese

Reese Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My US-20 showed up today and had the same experience. The seat has been off countless times but never noticed lack of access to the frame. Did you figure this one out?
  17. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think there is a good way unless you have some sort of external pannier rack.

I love the kreigas. But I just don't think they will work on this bike so I'm either selling them to my dad or they'll be on the flea market here.

For everyday use I'm just gonna strap a cube like zip up bag of some sort to the rear rack. And then for when more loaded just use two ortlieb rack packs held on with rok straps.
  18. Cris

Cris AB+

Oddometer:
    Can't remember the configuration of my 990 seat right off hand when it's off the bike, but wouldn't you be able to run one or two 1 inch webbing straps (with quick release buckles) under the seat when it's off and then place the seat back on?

The webbing should be low-profile enough, and given that you are not carrying mason blocks, it should not stress out the seat too much if you are careful...

Just a thought if you have no other options.
  19. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    i tried that and it just diesnt sit right. and to crank the bag down securly it pulls the sides of the seat up..
  20. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer: