Differences in Triple Black

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by isthiscoolenough?, Apr 10, 2012.

1. isthiscoolenough?

isthiscoolenough? Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Besides the black rims, what is difference between a Triple Black GS and a Sapphire black GS?
    Ken
  2. Dan-M

Dan-M Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The non-Triple Black has silver engine cases, silver subframe, wheels and final drive plus the forks are gold. All of that is dark on the TB.
  3. isthiscoolenough?

Oddometer:
    Thanks. What;s the general consensus of the Triple Black look on the forum? Like or no like?
    Ken
  4. Dan-M

Dan-M Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I reallly wanted one. When I went to buy it the last one on hand had just been sold. I could have waited for a '12 but they had a left over sapphire '11 on hand that I saved $2500+ on so I bought it.

IMO the TB is great looking.
  5. Stinkyb

Stinkyb GS"eh" rider

Oddometer:
    Dunno, I dont exactly look at my final drive as Im driving...
    If you like it, buy it, but if theres a reg gs/gsa for less, why pay more for different paint?:ear

I think its alright, cant justify the mark-up.........So with that said, I no like.....
  6. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer:
    Gettin ready to pull the trigger this week on a GS / TB. I obsessed over the color combo for a week or so and I really like it. IMHO, it makes the silver forks and engine look old. The black rims just add to the look.

If I got the 'normal' with Sapphire Black, I'd end up taping the fork legs and blacking out a few items anyway. I'd think that after adding spoked wheels to a regular GS, the cost difference may be nominal or within a few hundy.

I only hope the camhead engine ends up being as smooth as my hexhead after a few thousand miles.
  7. isthiscoolenough?

Oddometer:
    I have to think it over. Don't know of I can see one in the flesh.

Btw, the camhead engine is significantly smoother and torquier than the hexhead.
    Ken
  8. ATCguy

ATCguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like mine! :D

[​IMG]
  9. yellowbirdrs

yellowbirdrs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if you really want a nice looking GS get the Rallye one and forget about the black/blackish/silverish mess BMW did with the TB or get a sapphire black and save some $$$ for gas or a brake in trip

my .02 cents
  10. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    The oem TB is ok to me but I prefer the standard black. Darth Vader/murdered out ones look a mess to me, I don't like them that way.
  11. Motorcyclist72

Motorcyclist72 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love mine.
    [​IMG]
  12. GeoAggie

GeoAggie Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What??? You don't like my bike Obie?? I think she's a beauty and someone set it up perfectly. :D
  13. hillbillypolack

Oddometer:
    Any GS is as attractive as an unmade bed. :lol3

I just think that the warm yellowy forks (now with black yokes), magnesium valve heads, silver frame and drivetrain look even more scrambled on the standard version of the GS. Oddly enough, the Ostra grey version works as a middle ground for all those random colors.

The Rallye takes that to a different level as if they just had red paint lying around, but it does draw attention to the frame and I understand why.

The TB is maybe a tad much, but at least things harmonize. I sure wish the side panels were more attractive though. It's like a child's Lego collection with a metal lid thrown in.
  14. SHOELESS

SHOELESS Swine Pilot

Oddometer:
    You forgot the black forks and GS lettering on the seat.....
  15. Epictetus70

Epictetus70 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the fact that more aspects of the bike are subdued in color. The non-triple black had to much silver for me. I really like mine. To include that more after market manufacturers are making black pieces for the bike. I'm glad I got the T-blk GSA.
  16. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I asked at the dealer "why is this called triple black?" (because it clearly wasn't all black), they replied "because there are three tints of black color on the bike." :mully

After looking, I preferred the all black frame of the non-triple black. :thumb
  17. hillbillypolack

Oddometer:
    On the GSA, yes?

On the standard GS, the shift from silver frame to charcoal-ish is a real improvement IMHO. The GSA already had the black frame in its favor.

I thought they were triple black due to black engine, black (darkened) frame and black wheels plus bodywork. Oh darn that's four!
  18. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    yours was set up the right way. :clap
  19. GeoAggie

GeoAggie Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No doubt. My riding buddies have been drooling over your former triple black GS which has resulted in unsolicited offers to buy/trade. The only changes I've made are to back off the preload a tad on the Ohlins (for the sometimes rough roads I ride) and return to the stock footpegs (personal preference). Man, does this bike rail through the curves . . . . . and look trick doing so :evil

However, your titanium MTS isn't too bad looking either and it redefines sportiness in this segment of the market based on my limited seat time.
  20. hillbillypolack

Oddometer:
    Saw that bike when it was listed in FM. Does it have the ESA? If so, with the Ohlins swap, is it the Ohlins ESA, or traditional shocks? Just curious.