Compass Repeaters / Tripmasters

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by schattat, Mar 22, 2009.

1. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good news!
    I have been a busy bee and have started on my website design. It won't be a webshop in the sense of having a shopping cart to place parts in. In Germany it's too much of a PITA to adhere to the billions of rules regarding webshops (e.g. joining a waste disposal company so customers have the privilege of returning me the parcel I sent them their order in, just so I can forward it to the waste company for them to recycle for me, WTF? :dunno).

Customers can look at the products, e-mail me with their order and so on...

In addition, I may have come up with a suitable name for my "company". RNS - Rallye Navigation Solutions.
    Potential logo:
    [​IMG]

What do you guys think? I'm not of the creative type, just so you know :lol3 I may add some colour to bring it more to life, though...

If it'd make sense is probably dependant on the user? To me, I wouldn't want it on my bike, makes things too convoluted in the menus whe flipping through modes, but that may just be me...
    But if you're interested, I can custom make you one or a few one off models. Just some minor mods on the PCBs will have to be done and new software written. Let me know if you're still interested.
  2. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'll take two.

I don't really care about the menu issue because I plan to put one into odometer mode and the other into compass mode and only change them if I have a problem or need to move them between bikes. I wouldn't plan on flipping through the menus while racing or on a training ride. It's more of a backup in case of a failure, and flexibility in what bikes they are on.

You're logo looks pretty good!
  3. Jakub

Jakub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Tony,

Will you be making remotes too this time around, like last time? Or is your plan for the trip meter to use a standard ICO (or mecasystem) remote.

Cheers,
    Jakub
  4. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK then, just PM or e-mail me so we can work out the finer details!

If you're refering to the Multiswitch for both Tripmaster and Roadbook, then yes. I have been playing with the idea to also include a small 3 button remote out of plastic for the tripmaster, we'll see how that gets sorted...
  5. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

It's been a while since my last post here, I know, but I've been busy as usual. I finally got around to completing (almost, that is) my site for my products.
    RNS - Rallye Navigation Solutions

I'd like to thank everybody here for their helpful input and ideas, much appreciated!!!!

Let me know what you think :D

Happy holidays,
    Tony
  6. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Looks good! Now that you have a name and logo for your business, maybe you can have one or both engraved into your products. Without that, nobody knows who made the product.
  7. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Now it seems you use the GPS output to allow the compass repeater to display speed. Great idea! But I still want the compass repeater to be able to display distance as well (like the TripMaster XL). Can you use that GPS output data to calculate distance (speed/time=distance), and allow that to be displayed? This way if the TripMaster has a broken sensor, is calibrated wrong, or otherwise damaged, you can switch to the compass repeater to display distance as a backup. You will need to provide a connector so the handlebar switches can be connected to the repeater when a problem is discovered, but that's better than trying to navigate with no odometer.

Or, better yet, add the GPS connector to the Tripmaster so it can do all the odometer functions AND do the compass repeater function too!

I suppose you don't have available I/O pins on the processor, but I can keep dreaming that you'll find a way to do this. :evil
  8. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can someone do a spliter so we can run two Units off one pick up?
    or run the OEM unit and a RNS or ICO unit of one pick up ???
    That is what I am looking for!!!!!
  9. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually Scott, this feature has been incorporated since the first models! :nod

I have had this idea for quite some time now, too. The problem with calculating distance from your speed is that it is not accurate at times, you will never get the precision of counting the front wheel. Take my Garmin for example. Let it sit in an open area and it will always show +-3m accuracy. Sometimes when totally stationary, the speed may jump to say 2km/h even though it is 0km/h. One would need either a highly precise unit or some clever software workaround for that.
    In fact, the ERTF GPS' output the distance of the roadbook in a special sentence, which I have yet to decode. Upon reaching a waypoint it will autoadjust your travelled trip.
    No pins left, for now that is. Once I get the XL sales running a lot more smoothly, I will think of the next version (new chip, more pins) and what other fancy features to add :lol3

In theory you can do it by splicing the cables and joining the 2 wires of the wheel sensor cables from the output of the unit and fixing them to the 2 wires of the sensor!
    Be careful though, depending on how the 2 unis are connected to one another, they may interere with each other! Test it thoroughly!!!
  10. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's been almost 5 years now since I started this project (back in April 08). Over this period of time I have learnt a great deal of new skills and got in touch with many people from all over the world. The past month has in fact been the wildest ever for me. Once Speedbrain won the Pharaons rallye in October with my new unit, word got around quickly and now I am proud to announce that the majority of the first quarter of the starting field in this year's Dakar are running my TripMaster XL as their primary unit! :clap These include the factory teams of Sherco, HRC Honda, Yamaha, TM and possibly KTM (I write possibly because they have requested a S/W mod for their units, which have been untested by them so far).
    I am still stunned to this moment that this has happened, especially so quickly. Alot of countless hours have been put into this project that I started as a teenager, now I run this business next to my uni studies which at times gets pretty stressful.

To get to the point, I would like to take this opportunity to thank everybody here on ADV for their support throughout the evolution of these units. Your feedback and input ahve made the products what they are today! To show my graditude I am willing to offer 15% to all orders from you ADVers :thumb

Any what would a post without some pics be?

Nice pic I took in the beautiful deserts of Qatar a few weeks ago:
    [​IMG]

Photoshoot of the Speebrain Husky of Barreda:
    [​IMG]

Happy Barreda:
    [​IMG]

Coma with RNS:
    [​IMG]
  11. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Could diodes be added to prevent leaking between the two units?
  12. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't think so unfortunately

edit: Sorry scratch that, wrong thought, should work with 2 diodes! Same principle as the 2 buttons for the 3rd "mode" button
  13. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Ultimately aren't we just trying to keep any feedback from going to the other unit and giving a false signal? A diode on each "+" after the split?
  14. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Indeed, that's exactly what you're after (like I said, same principle as with the buttons). What you need to do is, once you splice to connector (or leave it alone and use an opposite connector) check which of the 2 wires is signal (should be high at around 3-5V) and which is GND. Connect both signals together each with a diode (anodes to the signal line, cathodes together meet with the one line of the sensor). The 2 GNDs and the other end of the sensor all come together then!
  15. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:

What I need is someone to make me TWO spliters( for two bikes)
    So I can Run a RSN and an ICO for back up .
    If you can do this I would buy an RSN and do many hours of testing over this next month.
    I see running multiple magnet pickups and cabels from the front wheel is a PAIN in the ASS!!
  16. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will the repeater work with a garmin montana?
  17. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    You bet ya! With a special USB cable, the repeater will run with virtually all the newer Garmin models that solely run on USB. Also, the repeater will charge the Garmin whilst connected!
  18. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    ok what model garmin's use the sealed connector?

I have had one GPS fail because of water getting into the usb port
  19. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    To be honest, I'm not to familiar with the various models, only had experience with the 62s and like you say, I wasn't too excited about the near-open USB port! The old circular 4 pin connector seemed better IMHO!
  20. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    Nice to see your hardware running at Dakar, Tony. On factory bikes, even!