Bikes you didn't like nearly as much as you thought you would.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by davidji, Nov 18, 2012.

1. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    What are the bikes you thought you'd like a lot more than you did on the first ride?

I was inspired to ask this by a demo ride of that sort the other day. And I had a similar one a year ago. But my tales can wait. I want yours!
  2. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
    Speed triple. Big, heavy bike...didn't like it at all.

F800R. The most boring motor in the history of irrigation pump motors.

Hypermotard. If I wanted to sit on the front tire, I'd...sit on the front tire.
  3. Nadgett

Nadgett Obnoxious, dimwitted blowhard

Oddometer:
    I rented a Royal Enfield 500 Bullet in Scotland, thinking it would be like my old BSA 441 Victor. It wasn't.
    Combatscoot likes this.
  4. Lolthatguy

Lolthatguy Has a Zombie House

Oddometer:
    Honda cbr600f4i.

Around town and on the highways it just seemed flat, dull and too damn quiet.
    I had just come off a VFR800, so this may have something to do with it....

When it wound up it was ok, but it just didnt sit right. I kept wanting to like it, but couldnt. Plus it hurt my wrists.

Meh.
  5. wayne_l

wayne_l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    honda gold wing ..with so much going on with the thing and so smooth it felt like i was in my truck .it lulled me to sleep.
    Combatscoot likes this.
  6. ZZ-R Rider

ZZ-R Rider Average Guy

Oddometer:
    Suzuki S50 Boulevard (VS800) ... bought a low-mileage, very slighly used '06 from a co-worker because I thought at the time that I "needed" a Bike larger than the 650 I then owned... hated that friggin' S50 ... Bike had no soul what-so-ever ... and who ever designed the battery compartment deserves a serious beating ... without a centerstand, getting that battery in and out was an ardous ordeal ...
    Combatscoot likes this.
  7. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    '08 Yamaha FZ1. I still quote it as "The best bike I ever hated." It was fast enough, handled well enough, looked sharp enough, had adequate shield protection, and was plenty smooth. The lack of low-end power and the fact that it was a little top heavy and wide between the knees just killed it. I never wanted to ride it, always opting for something else. It didn't stay in the garage long. Alas, live and learn. Or maybe not...
    Howsbentley and Billyt001 like this.
  8. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    BMW RT
    The vaunted sofa. The old man's barca-lounger.
    I wanted to like it. I did. But it was too boring for me, and the way the motor honked at full throttle was just irritating.

A lot of people like the RT, obviously. It's just not my bag, baby.
    Seth650 and Socalstrom like this.
  9. Yokomo

Yokomo Trials & Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    Nighthawk 750. I always liked the looks of them. Got one for a nice price and I tried to like it. It just didn't fit my body and it was boring until you cracked on it, and it was awkward to turn.
    PDarnall likes this.
  10. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ducati Hypermotard-- ditto what was expressed about the feeling of sitting on the front tire. Or as I expressed it- feeling like a hood ornament :lol3 great bike otherwise.

Triumph Scrambler-- I was very interested in buying one, but imo what a characterless engine.
    smolt, Billyt001 and Alexander B like this.
  11. Volodymyr t G

Volodymyr t G Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    sr500. I had many bikes before that one, and really gave some thought to what I wanted in a bike and the sr500 was it. After a long search, a mint one came up near me and i picked it up. Never really bonded with it. Very disappointed, I sold it not long after I bought it.
  12. speedisgood

speedisgood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a really helpful thread, and one of the reasons why ADV is such a great place
    Transporto, +venture and Adventurer. like this.
  13. Hank.SD

Hank.SD Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ZX-14R. Wish I would have kept my CBR1100xx. The ninja did everything well but I didn't love it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  14. elemental

elemental Tainted Adventurist

Oddometer:
    00 Thunderbird Sport: My only purchase mistake in 25 years of riding - sold it at a loss after 4 months
    06 Speed Triple: Test ride revealed dodgy ergos, handling and throttle
    Bonneville: Borrowed one proved to be tiny and gutless
  15. Mazaev

Mazaev Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The current-gen Hayabusa. I was at a demo day and figured what the hell, while in the back of my mind thinking that I don't want to go home feeling like my VFR was old and slow. Boy, was that not a problem. I couldn't wait to get off the thing. It felt like I was straddling a bathtub shaped rocket. A very uncomfortable one. Never been so happy to get back on my 13 year old bike.
    thanosgp and Deviant666 like this.
  16. r3mac

r3mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not really a road bike but a BMW f650.

Our temperaments just didn't match.
  17. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Harley Davidson Iron 883. Didn't like the ergos (even after modification), didn't like the vibrations, and I especially didn't like the old-school handling.
    PDarnall likes this.
  18. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    BMW F800R, which I demoed at a BMW rally on a Saturday morning. Group ride, but at a pretty good pace. I just didn't get it. Sporting naked bike with motor that doesn't rev.

Kawasaki Concours 1400. Handled far better than I anticipated, but the motor was electric smooth and total overkill. I think I used the first three gears. The BMW RT is as comfortable and a lot more fun to throw around and bang through gears. And 'bang' is pretty close description. :lol3
    thanosgp likes this.
  19. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    +1. GL1000 boring on the highway, clunky in the corners, too little ground clearance to get to my favorite camp spots.

20. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:

Agreed on both. I rode one on a demo day with a full akrapovic exhaust, and while the noise was cool at idle, it didn't do anything for me at speed. Ergo's were wrong with my legs cramped, and I have short legs. Tank scoops and little fly screen felt cheap as hell and vibrated at all speeds.

Crossed it off my interest list after the ride. Shame because I really wanted to like it.
    psliddy likes this.