Best Adv Pants for shorter riders?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by thorgot, Apr 7, 2014.

1. thorgot

thorgot n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking for a great pair of pants for a short, round rider. 5' 9" tall, 29" inseam, 38" waist. Any suggestions? Everything I try on seems to be way to long!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  2. TrattoRAZ

TrattoRAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 on this request for assistance.

I have had a difficult time finding pants that fit. Seems as though any size over 36/38 has a 34 inch inseam. I wear a 40 with a 30 inch inseam... most designs don't permit shortening pants as the knee protection (both material and armor) no longer align properly.

Is there anyone out there that make size 38 to 42 waist with a 28 to 30 inch inseam...
  3. moment

moment Adventurer

Oddometer:
    order made from manufacturers . :super
  4. bman

bman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Firstgear's short sizes are 30" long.
  5. rkover1

rkover1 doc Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got my Dariens custom sized from Aerostich.
  6. leftshark

leftshark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    St. Albert Alberta and too many other places
    Without a doubt go to motoport and get custom. I am the same dimensions 38-29 and love my air mesh and will never go back. Great protection and cool breeze without the liner in. Any questions or want pics let me know. Not cheap but neither are new legs
  7. thorgot

thorgot n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice. What model of pant did you get from Motoport? I had never heard of this brand but their website has some great info.
  8. leftshark

leftshark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    St. Albert Alberta and too many other places
    Ultra 2 air mesh with quad armour and a weatherproof liner. Feel huge for the first 10 hours or so but follow their break in advice and they will loosen right up. Mine fit like khaki now.
  9. Gadget00

Gadget00 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rev-It has shorts . I wear 40x29 and the short Sand pants is fine
  10. BeachMoto

BeachMoto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Others have mentioned the custom options (Aerostich and Motoport), they are both great choices but a little on the high side (but worth every penny).

Off he rack stuff, FirstGear, BMW (a little hard to find, your EU size would be a 27 or a 28), Rukka (very expensive but excellent product) and last but not least is Olympia. Olympias come with very long inseams but they are easily hemmed due to the design of the leg zippers (you can take them up as much as 6").

I have spent a fortune buying pants (a pair of Aerostich Dariens, a pair of Aerostich AD-1 lights, a pair Motoport mesh, a pair of FirstGear and a pair of Olympia with zip off legs). My go to pants are the AD-1 lights except in temps below 40 I go with the Dariens.

Hope this helps. BTW, my inseam is 28" and I am very round :D:D
    9Realms likes this.
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I am a 28" inseam and 38" waist, and fit well in Tourmaster Flex, Aerostitch Darien, and Revit.
  12. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't forget that riding pants need to be a bit longer than casual pants.

Try them on the bike, not just standing in the store.
    9Realms likes this.
  13. everready

everready Retired!!!

Oddometer:
  14. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    Good advice here. I have similar proportions and early on I made the mistake to hem the pants to my 29" inseam. Worked OK, but the knee armor was riding on my boots. :lol3

Really worth paying to have custom pants made
  15. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take a look at the Detour pants Jafrum carries. They are stocked in short medium and tall sizes.
  16. deepcdiver

deepcdiver Nobody Special

Oddometer:
    BMG: British Motorcycle Gear has IN STOCK leg length down to 28" in L and XL and XXL

Quality gear at a great price too.
  17. GSJon

GSJon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of the BMW summer pants that have zip off lower legs. The armor is in the part that zips off. I had my tailor hem the pants from the top of the zipper so that the armor stayed in the right place. The cuff of the pants was not touched at all.

I have a 29" inseam and 29" waist.
    Interstatement likes this.
  18. Dantegod

Dantegod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm wear street jeans 40/29 but in MC pants a 30 works ok. As mentioned the knee armour is an issue no matter how long the inseam! Often mentioned by short legged folks in reviews of gear. My Olympia pants have been altered by my wife, who is an expert seamstress! it is not an easy job to alter MC pants! Olympia is easier but still requires much effort or expense if your paying someone to do it for you.
    Many brands have a zipper that extends all the way down, thus shortening the zipper is required. The liners and pants must be resewn and often there are various liner cuff attachments involved too. I'll it say again-it's a lot of work!
    My newest pants trial (for sale as too long!) are BMW City 2 pants and the armour is more on my shins as much as my knees and very uncomfortable. My Olympias are roomy and correct length but need suspenders to hold them up as thats the only size that gives room for my butt. many Euro fit pants lack stride roominess for an American butt! This is often mentioned in reviews too!
    Very few gear dealers stock these "short sizes" you see more talls & regulars by far. I'm waiting now for a Motorcycle Superstore outlet to get in several choices for me in short sizes now-takes weeks to get them in.
    MC gear size charts are another issue! They often lack the full information to know if the stuff fits. Some brands or certain models of brands are sized as overpants while others are not but the information isn't on the chart. They also use various vague terms like "tour fit" or "trim fit" or "racing fit" or other various unhelpful talk.
    If you have a "non-slim build", unlike the MC gear models your often up the creek to find stuff that fits.

I really like Rev'it gear and have two of their jackets. Their pants lack room in the stride for anyone with a husky build. The waist fits but the hips don't. I called Olympia mfg's number for pants specs this week and a 40 waist in Airglide pants has a 50" hip space spec. Compare that to my 2XL BMW pants that I have to take out the hip pads to wear them but the waist fits OK but too tight to keep them.
    Overall, there's much room for improvement on MC gear sizing! There's a reason that m,any street clothing mfg's make relaxed fit clothes! Try and find that for MC gear and you'll be disappointed, I'm certain.
  20. dirtknoob

dirtknoob n00b

Oddometer:
    Any updates on this recently?

I have a 36-38 inch waist and 29 inch inseam, short and round. Ive never really been able to find anything that fits well.

I have been watching a lot of videos and Klim gear seemed to be the best.

I ordered the 38 short Baja pants recently and they fit perfectly around the waist, but were way too long and way too bulky at the bottom. I would love to find something similar that fits.

Anyone tried any of the BMW gear like the Rallye pants or the regular adventure pants?