Need Mx City bypass info......

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Phlyn' Phil, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Phlyn' Phil

Phlyn' Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tomorrow Im leaving Oaxaca heading north and need some help navigating around Mexico City. I am trying to not get caught up in traffic and small towns, topes, etc. I heard there is a toll bypass road on the North East side, but in looking at my maps it is relatively unclear. Is there a signed name for 'bypass' I should follow, or am I just aiming for the circumference highway, following signage from Puebla, >Texcoco>Ecatepec>Coacalco>Cuatlan>Queratero and on North. I know how much time can be wasted going through Centros to find the highway again on the other side of towns and citys, but aswell, dont want to get into Mx City, nor do I want to take the mountain roads(pretty and great on a moto) because of the extra time involved. Can someone with some experience here chime in, Need some advice!
    Thanks in advance!
    Phil
  2. Phlyn' Phil

Oddometer:
    Beuller, bueller, anyone??
    bumpity!
  3. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well the best advice on which way to go from Oaxaca depends upon if you want to exit Mexico through Nuevo Laredo or points west or more to the east like Reynosa
  4. Phlyn' Phil

Oddometer:
    Thanks Trice,
    did some not so quick googling(not so easy when in latin america as google auto defaults to spanish results) and found the Arco Norte around Mx city, worked like a champ. Made it from Oaxaca city to San Luis Potosi Yesterday. about 530 mile day. eh. If I can get my front tire aired back up I should be set to get from Tapachula to Juarez in about 4.5 days of riding. off to the tire store.
    Phil
  5. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    OK well clear sailing Phil, hope that knee of yours is back all the way :thumb
  6. pancho

pancho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let's see, your objective is routing around MX City from Puebla northwards. I've used this several times:

Cholula-Huejotzingo-Texmelucan-Tlaxcala-Yauhquemecan-Calpulapan-

Ciudad Sahugan-Pachuca-Ixmiquilpan

Then north on 57 (fast) or 85 (scenic)

Hope this makes sense,

Suerte,
    Pancho
  7. Phlyn' Phil

Oddometer:
    Thanks,
    today was the first day without pain meds so its on its way, just waiting for the skin to return.
    The Arco Norte, which is not signed well from the Puebla side, is a serious time savor. Had I known about it on the way down I could have easily saved a day, though missed out on Toluca which is a neat city.
    Lost a day today in SLPotosi chasing around an air leak on my front. Third try is a charm right? was on my way out of town after the second try when it went flat again, still better than a day at work....
    Heading Norte....
    Phil
  8. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    valve stem
  9. Phlyn' Phil

Oddometer:
    Long story short, I was carrying a new T63 front and needed to change it out bad, swapped it out and pinched the original tube, then my spare with the spoons putting it back on. during my accident, my rubber cement in my flat kit gushed out, so I had to wait till morning and go to a tire store. He fixed the pinch, by the time I got back to the hotel it had gone flat, he pinched it again putting it back on, went back and he patched it again. Left the hotel about noon and made it across town and it went flat again. A local was nice enough to drive me and the tire back across slpotosi to another moto repair shop, had what appeared to be a spoke pinch, got both tubes vulcanized and Im back on the road.
    Note Michelin T63's are a super tight fit, even took several tries to get it to bead properly. The rear I put on in Costa Rice has started delaminating center knobs after a thousand miles. 500 odd miles to go, missing skin, maxipad on my knee, shit tires, no patch kit, smashed up air pump, and half a pack of smokes. Wheres my adventure merit badge?
    Phil