Looking for a thread about f800gs panels on a 650gs twin

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by giodog2000, Feb 22, 2010.

1. giodog2000

giodog2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi All , last week I came across a thread showing a dealer probably in germany that had in his showroom a few F658Gs with the F800gs panels . I thought I saved the link somewhere but obviously did not. If anyone comes acroos this link can you please re-post it here.....thanks ...
  2. xlv

xlv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    try here
    http://www.hammer-motorrad.de/index.php?id=149
  3. giodog2000

Oddometer:
  4. DiabloBlanco

DiabloBlanco Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer:
    At first I thought it looked cool but I wasn't going to be interested... Well then today I contacted my dealer to ask if he'd price match these guy's prices for the white panels:
    http://www.webparts.com/diagram.php?btnr=46_1149&mospid=50779&hg=46&fg=45

(I contacted those guys in Virginia and he said those are the discounted prices and that they would apply to the white panels). You shouldn't need the center panel since they're the same for the two bikes, just paint your center faux tank panel, or buy a new one to have it pre painted. The only other thing to do would be to move the front blinkers. Still not sure if I'll do it, but I'm doing the probing.
  5. giodog2000

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure I want to paint my existing panels . I would probably go for all the panels if I get a good deal . I'm waiting for a quote from another BMW dealer . They will knock off 15% of total price. Should have news soon.
  6. DiabloBlanco

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure that site will be cheaper. I punched the numbers into Chicago BMW's parts and they came up at 400 something for the panels and they give discounts off the top, so the Virginia place was even cheaper than Chicago.

And if you've got the cash, it would definitely be easier to buy new panels all the way around but I've got some money to save and I have friends who paint so giving them beer and a few bucks to cover painting the center, nose, and rear panels would beat paying an extra 300-400 dollars for those parts to me. Let me know how you do. Which colors are you looking at?
  7. omnivore

omnivore SuperSportTourer

Oddometer:
    They look much better with black wheels too!
  8. giodog2000

Oddometer:
    There is something I don't get. How do you end up at 400$ for what you need and say I could spend that much more and get all the panels. If I follow the chart it in the high thousands. Something I must be doing wrong.
    I'm not sure of the color yet cause I want the color to match the rims without having to paint them. But as metionned, it does look much better in black. If I did not take it offroad I'd paint the forks and rims.
    What color are you going for?
  9. DiabloBlanco

Oddometer:
    I'm saying per panel. So based off of the virginia website, 2 side panels at 323 each (or 341 with graphics it appears), 2 snorkels at something like 17 per, 2 plaques at 35 each, 2 snorkel covers #8, then maybe the windshield mount if needed and new nuts and bolts and stuff. then you'd only need to relocate the blinkers.

Should come out to 800 something for just the sides, add another 400 ish for the center tank, nose, and rear panels

i was saying the price for one panel, on chico bmw was 400 something while on the virginia it's 323/341

but maybe i have something wrong?
  10. giodog2000

Oddometer:

Diablo , I was at my bmw dealer this morning. I saw a 650 gs painted black . WOW!!! very nice. And this question came to my mind : ''why am I considering spending 1000$ for the 800 panels? ''
    What is your reason why you want to change the look of the 650? Shouldn't we be putting our money and effort in suspenssion? I would pay that money for the 800gs forks and another 1000$ for front and rear rims... Your thoughts ???
  11. DiabloBlanco

Oddometer:
    You raise a very valid point. In fact ever since I first purchased mine I've thought about painting it black, I even started a thread over at UKGSer in Dec 2008 asking if anyone had painted theirs yet. The only example is someone in germany, a few pics of it are in our pic thread. it's a flat dark grey, looks pretty good. I might still very well just paint mine. Did you manage to get a pic of it?

The biggest thing that makes me want to swap panels is I love how the intake snorkel breaks things up and adds that extra visual element, I think it looks badass. But yes, I could; and might; just save a few hundred bucks and paint the current panels.

And of course suspension takes front seat compared to aesthetics, thus my Ricors are in the mail and I'm waiting to see how some of the aftermarket rear suspensions get reviewed. Not sure I'll get new forks though, I need mine to be better, but don't think they necessitate a full replacement at this point. Plus there are critics galore of the 800's forks too... time will tell. But yeah does that dealer have pictures of the black 650 online or anything?
  12. giodog2000

Oddometer:
    So far , with the ricor I'm very satisfied as I told you in another thread and you might even be pleasently suprised yourself . I did take a few pics of the black 650 but with my iphone so it does not give it justice but still can send it to you . I can't remember how to post pics here (even if I have in the past :wave ) Let me see if I can figure how to post here or else I,ll just put up a link for you to go at. Working on it .......
  13. giodog2000

Oddometer:
    Have a look here . I think with black rims also this could be a heck of a nice setup. They also painted it mat black ....thats a pic I took a few months ago .

http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss194/giogigab/?action=view&current=black650.jpg&newest=1

Here is a pic i took this morning from another angle but still not very good picture quality: Notice , they took the rear side panels out...they did not paint it .

http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss194/giogigab/?action=view&current=photo.jpg

In real life it looks great....let me know what you think
  14. DiabloBlanco

Oddometer:
    That does look nice. My thoughts, if I painted mine, have either been thinking to go to a glossy black or an "almost black" like this young lady from Germany so as to make a clear distinction between the bikes metal parts and the panels. I like what she has done here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And jsut to compare in the same post, here's yours:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. DiabloBlanco

Oddometer:
    And now that I posted those in the same one it makes me think I would more like a darker, yet glossier black, if I went the route to just paint mine. And maybe I SHOULD just be smart and do that first, since it's by far the cheapest option... Going to call my buddy now, we'll see in another week if I have a black 650 :evil BUT I might hold off on the wheels being black if I paint the bike black.. but would probably still paint the lower forks black, I think that would make a nice offset of silver upper fork black lower fork, silver wheels, on a black bike. AND since I'm going to put the Ricors in whenever they show up, it would be a good time to paint the lower fork assembly
  16. giodog2000

Oddometer:
    it looks a little greenish doesn't it? If it is greenish it is very nice also and the seat is great....I really liked the flat black but I'm afraid it will become very scratchy after a few months , I'd also go with a clear coat over the paint for protection. Hmmmmm decisions decisions......if I reacall , yours is the same color as mine right? (iceburg).

I'm trying to find a thread of this guy who photshoped almost 10 different colors , again I can't find it, maybe we can ask him to make a few photoshop of the 650 for us to see ... unless you are good with photshop lol
  17. DiabloBlanco

Oddometer:
    Nope not I, but I definitely respect the photoshop skills of others! A lot of photoshopped photos come with the BMWMOA tag on them and I poked around for a few minutes a long time ago on the bmmoa site but couldn't find anything. Either way, I'll see what comes of my painter friend. See how I like a gloss black or something and then decide if I want that snorkel bad enough...
  18. giodog2000

Oddometer:
    Not easy decisions .... the 800 panels do look great. Check your pm ,,,I might have an idea .....
  19. xlv

xlv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone looked at the 800 and discovered anything else that is needed to do the conversion ? i´m seriously thinking about doing this.
    /M
  20. giodog2000

Oddometer:
    Looks to me it's pretty straight foward . I don't think you need anything else than the panels to make the conversion. I was at my bmw dealer yesterday morning and examined the 800panels and the only thing I saw that would need a mod is the relocation of blinkers . There is already a place on the 800panles to put them back on (no hardware needed) .Maybe just re-wire. My concern is that the blinkers are fixed on the edges of the panel and seams to me they could get dammaged and crack the blinker mount (witch is the panel itself) if you fall offroad.