Can a Continental TK80 be repaired?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by zulus800, Feb 25, 2013.

1. zulus800

zulus800 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,

this weekend I did the most awesome off road ridding on this very capable bike- but unfortunately got a little slash on the center of the tire ( half inch)

I called BMW assist and they towed me to the dealer, but dealer saying that they dont repair tires--- is this normal? I figured that they would put a new tube and just patch the tire- no?

thanks for help in advanced.
  2. nevermind

nevermind know when to fold 'em, know when to run

Oddometer:
    1. 1/2" is kinda big to patch, no shop would do it and warranty it.
    2. Front or rear tire?
    3. Try and patch it yourself if it's a rear and keep as emergency spare
    4. BMW = Bring More Wallet
  3. zulus800

zulus800 n00b

Oddometer:
    Its the rear tire. It has 100 miles on it-so wanted to try and salvage it.
    Why would someone keep a spare tire? isnt it a spare tube we need or tires as well?
    im so bummed about this :(
  4. pkbinder

pkbinder Kissing Moose

Oddometer:
    For liability reasons a shop won't repair a tire, but lots of guys I know have repaired tires that have lasted till the tire wore out. Not that I am advocating that you ride on a repaired tire, because if you do and suffer a calamity you will blame ME!
    I am just reporting what has been reported to me.
    You might take a large patch some good galvanizing glue and patch the inside of the tire. Then you will have a nice emergency tire.
  5. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where are you from? Likely someone in your area can show you how to do this.
    If it were mine, I'd get a new tube, patch the inside of the tire (same as you would for a car puncture) with a big patch and not worry about it again.
  6. duffs

duffs I have a beard

Oddometer:
    In many countries a 1" gash makes the tyre illegal to use on public roads, but nevertheless even with your 1/2" gash it should be no surprise that your dealership doesn't want to touch it...

More importantly, a gash of that size would likely compromise the structural integrity of the tyre - would you really want to risk catastrophic tyre failure the next time you're doing 60+ mph just to save a few $$$?

I have insurance through BMW Motorrad Insurance with an extra clause which covers tyre damage with a small excess/deductible - might be worth a check to see if yours covers this as well... for the record I'd be f**ked right off also, ruining a brand new tyre! :eek1
  7. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMHO,,,a 1/2" gash would be the outer limit of whati'd repair,,,,

True the liabilility issue weighs heavy on most dealers minds ,,hence the almost universal mantra. "e don't repair /patch tires and tubes,,,,

FYI,,,we hardly ever patch tubes these days because it's not cost effective,, a new tube costs less than parts n labor

However I/we do not shy from patching tires,,,because I have time proven techniques for doin so,,the secret is using the proper type of patches,,we use what's called aT-patch. Ie it is a patch and plug combined,,,they come in various plug diameters...the plug plugs up the hole as well as keeps the patch from wandering ?..in case you installed a tube,,,patches on TT tires have a tendency to drift under the constant squirming/chaffing between tire and tube

Hope that clarifies things abit
    Woody
  8. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude your bike is worth more than a new tire.
    The only time I would patch is a small nail hole or if I were stuck in the middle of nowhere and had to get out.
    A new rear is a lot cheaper than having a sudden blow out and replacing bike parts due to a crash.:huh
  9. onestop

onestop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I had this happen to me on my road bike and I took it to a car tyre shop and had it patched from the inside as u should and as u run a tube with this tyre it should be ok