Brisbane to Barrington Tops 5 night camping

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Beer'o'clock Baz, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Beer'o'clock Baz

Beer'o'clock Baz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey
    Planning a six day five night camping ride to Barrington Tops , leaving early saturday the 2nd of march back on the thursday arvo - as much dirt as possible trying to keep it to suit a fully loaded KLR 650- may do the third night a pubstay depends how we feel - have a route to follow but may have to wing it abit at times - would be up to 450km days mostly on dirt so a moderate pace needed to get in before dark, so need to be reasonably experienced riders?
    Anybody interested in coming ?
  2. yellow900

yellow900 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds interesting! ... will check what else is on the diary for that time.
  3. philth

philth www.motorbikin.com.au

Oddometer:
    klr 650?
    did you trade the 690?
    podge is gunna have a field day
  4. gordonmichaellee

gordonmichaellee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I presume you will be doing mostly dirt roads rather than a bit of technichal stuff.
    I live near Byron bay so you could make the 1st and 4th night at my house if you wish.

I'd love to know the route you have planned, I might have some tracks to discuss.

Sounds interesting.

I've got a mate who also rides a KLR 650 who might be interested as well.

PM me your phone number to discuss.

Cheers Gordo'
  5. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    EDIT: if you don't want to scroll through heaps of pages....
    click here for the ride report.
    click here for the gps file of the route - "brisbane qld to barrington tops nsw".

this is the video of the ride.

<iframe width="840" height="550" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fP-bePTfqdc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hey gordo
    we know most of the dirt options down to old grafton rd, after that we'll mainly be relying on other guys' tracks from the trans australia tracks site.

thanks for the byron offer but i think we'll be a lot further south by the end of the first day... say camping around nymboidia or ramornie national parks. be moving along at a decent clip each day to try and be back within six days.
  6. gordonmichaellee

Oddometer:
    OK how about lunch at my place.

I'd still like to come along.

Cheers Gordo'
  7. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    its b1's ride so he's got final say on route details and everything... i'm just drafting the basic trip up.

again thanks for the invite but byron bay is 100km further east from our route so it would add a pile of km and extra bitumen to get over that way. you would have to meet us at tabulam or something like that.

mind you, if you've got a secret squirrel trail from border ranges to broken head via byron bay that is 95% dirt, i'm all ears so just PM me. :D
  8. gordonmichaellee

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  9. Beer'o'clock Baz

Oddometer:
    hahaha nah the heaviest bike thats coming on the ride is a klr so used that as an example -
    trade the mighty 690 :rofl
  10. trgbox

trgbox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi fellas, I might be able to come along. Will know by mid Feb my work commitments.
  11. Beer'o'clock Baz

Oddometer:
    hey " the new guy" :D havn't heard from ya for ages
  12. trgbox

trgbox Been here awhile

Oddometer:

G"Day B2, Yes its been a while....very busy at work looking forward to a trip with the new DR 790! :clap
  13. BayBags

BayBags Rough As

Oddometer:
    I might be up for that one...DR is ready to go! Same old - it is work that gets in the way! What sort of fuel range you thinking? Have a 20ltr tank so would be in KLR territory anyway.
  14. Beer'o'clock Baz

Oddometer:
    20 litre :eek1 at this stage the furthest is 230 k's but route hasnt been finalised yet - anymore than that and im carrying fuel and the fe 570 thats coming has to carry fuel to get to 230
  15. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    no throwing rocks on this ride, young man. :D greendude's DR650 became a rooster monster after his big bore job! can't have those DR650s showing up the high tech eurotrash big bores coming on this ride...

[​IMG]
  16. podge NT

podge NT Podge NT

Oddometer:

When advertising a ride it is always a good idea to say you are using reliable machinery, it seems to attract more starters :evil:evil:evil:evil:evil (just a little dig mate)
  17. trgbox

trgbox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Who me? :evil How r u B1? I see you've been buying quite a few parts of late.....what are you building?
    I took all you "take the piss out of the new guy" people's advice and now have a three leg chair thing-o to join the circle of legends around the camp fire LOL. Heading out to the glass house mtns tomorrow if it doesn't rain any harder to have some fun on the crf450. :wink:

B2 I have a little thank you gift in thanks for the help you gave to get me home last ride, as I have no doubt I wouldn't have tolerated the pain for the trip home ontherwise. :clap

Talked to the boss today and he reconds its a 90% goer for the ride. :D The 790 kit + extras arrives Tuesday next week and fitted the following weekend so great timing for a little run in fun prior to the trip with you guy's. :evil
  18. Beer'o'clock Baz

Oddometer:
    bikes packed and ready to go - spent all day getting it set up and only just in time for the ride :roflbloody rain- if I could post a pic i wud put it up here - so lets pretend you can see it here .................................................................... looks good hey :huh:freaky
  19. blade07

blade07 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I will be in that for sure, put me down as a starter. I am packed and ready. Only thing to worry about will be keeping up with that KLR as I have heard they haul ass. I was going to buy a new 690R but I think I will get a KLR
    now.
  20. Beer'o'clock Baz

Oddometer:
    You idiot your very first post and you come up with that :rofl I see you have an 07 blade there reputed as being the last of the good ones :clap