Akrapovic Exhaust

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Treillw, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Treillw

Treillw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My dealer told me that the Akrapovic pipes smooth out the low rpm throttle issues.. Is this true or is he trying to sell some pipes?

Another thing I thought about was getting a G2 throttle.

Has anybody tried this duo?

Thanks!
  2. Brown Dog

Brown Dog North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer:
    The Akra's are the Best sounding / looking to me. Quality cost my friend.
    They run so much better than stock.
    I dont think the G2 is needed on a 950 in my .02 cents. The Injected 990's are Twitchy
    Which i don't like.
  3. K80JIM

K80JIM Super Tanker

Oddometer:
    What year are you talking about? Up to 06 not G2 needed. 07 to 09 I would run the G2 with 400 cam. If it's a 2010, I have heard some say it's fixed others say it's still the same.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the bike.

I have an 07 990 with those pipes and the 400 cam. Much better but those pipes alone will not help the jerky throttle.

Not sure about Brown Dog's post above but he may have a 950 Super Enduro that is a carbed bike and they don't have the jerky throttle problem.
  4. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    I ran a set of Wings on my 990 which I recon did help the trottle problem a bit, but definiately didn't solve it! Some have found the G2 helps others hav'nt...go figure?

Its all a bit subjective in the absence of any real technical data...you really need to apply the sience of SIAS (Suck It An See). Good luck :deal
  5. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    If your talking about a FI Bike then consider this.

Yes exhaust system will reduce weight and heat. Not really do too much to the throttle response.

Bang for the buck I would do the following in order to best see what works for you. I have done all of the below and more to mine and it still is not as smooth as a carbed 950.
    1. Remove secondary throttle plates (free) some feel a difference others don't. I did.
    2. Drop 1 tooth front sprocket - cheapest thing you can do in line of farkels.
    3. G2 throttle cam with 400 cam - next cheapest
    4. Exhaust system
    Basically the 1 tooth on the front gets the bike into and out of the sketchy RPM ranges faster.

Removing the throttle plates some say it makes the chop off less pronounced, this had been debated in perpetuity. I just removed mine. Less weight. :deal

Throttle cam has a slower ramp profile so the cables are engaged as a slower rate in the beginning of the throttle arc of rotation. Easier to control at slower speed. This had the biggest effect for me out of everything else.

Exhaust, to each their own, some are louder than others, more expensive etc. I cant comment on that, I have Leo Vince they are fine for me, I went the extra mile to ceramic coat the pipe in attempts to reduce heat. It works but it comes down to how much you want to spend.

My .02
  6. DTSB

DTSB Hello!

Oddometer:
    I put on FMF pipes with Akrapovic mapping and the bike runs great!