Idahosam trippin East and south

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Idahosam, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    Yup! "Brave Rifles" 75-79 H co 2/3 72-75 3ID Germany

Still working on those pictures
  2. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:

ADA :eek1 So you were over there on the other side of base with the Luftwaffe and those Iranians and I believe the Israelis Must have been interesting Mister Hawk man:lol3
  3. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    Hey Sam, you just can't stay out of NM can you?:clap It is a great state full of whacky people. I was buzzing around in Iowa while you were in NM and CO. IA is a lot more scenic than I thought it was. Madison co has really neat gravel roads and covered bridges. Glad you are having a great time. Wish I could take pictures that nice . you have a great nack for it. Get back down to So. NM and see us again some winter. Happy Travels...
  4. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Started in Quads (guns) then Chapparal, opposite side from all the Luftwaffe and Iranians, guess the Iranians will be our friends AGAIN??

Lived out at Biggs enjoyed the luxury that the Air Force guys were used to. Even there "hand me downs" were nicer than stuff on the main post.
    I heard they tore most of it down and made an NCO Academy.

Sometimes I think about going back for a visit.
  5. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    Downtown Lincoln NM

[​IMG]

Now this town hasn't changed much at all, courthouse still looking good

[​IMG]

Spent about an hour wondering around

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well that was an interesting flash back, and so it is onward to Roswell

[​IMG]

All I can say is that's an hour of my life and 5 bucks I'll never get back :D

I had a really hard time to keep from laughing out loud...

[​IMG]

... but I can say this; "Be there done that" even thought about the T-shirt... NOT.

Onward to Texas
  6. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    Aside from the insanely slow speed limits it's pretty cool state, it was my stomping grounds where I played during my off time back in the day. One could ride anywhere you wanted no OHV no plates nada! I had a PE250 I hauled around; Simpler times (need to scan some of my old 35mm) I even carried a 357 on my hip in the open in NM and Texas....totally OK No one freaked out.

So there new Papa are you going to get to finish up the Border ride? I'm still hanging.

Quads, so your were a Duster Guy, I saw those get used as a direct fire system once WOW. Biggs is now the Sergeant Major Academy E9's get trained there.
  7. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    1. NM speed limits are "just a suggestion" except in school zones...
    2. The border run has gas availability problems now that the Hachita station is closed. Still thinking about it though. The big Katoom could make it but the smaller bikes need more gas capacity.
    3. As the proud papa of a new KTM EXC 500 I would say it is one of my favorite kids ever.
    4. Remember it is always warm in So. NM in the winter and we can find you a spot to stay down here any year. We also have the worlds best chillies:clap
  8. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    A NEW KTM 500 :tb:super I rode one last year, and that is friggin awesome machine. I have one problem that's mounting and dismounting it, as I have a 29 inch inseam. Great Machine, just get an after market large tank

I am indeed seeking someplace to winter, I do not savior hard cold gloomy winters the older I am getting. Been thinking of Arizona, and I thank you for the invite.

Worlds Best Chillies huh! Mighty bold statement there Amigo.
  9. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    So I rolled out of Roswell heading east on highway 380, it's a very windy treeless flat open ground kinda place. I kept wanting to open up a bit more and so was passing numerous cars and pickups in the 60+mph range all the while worried I'd see blue lights in my rear-view.

As I started to approach Plains NM, I started noticing well pumps dotted everywhere, then as I passed Plains the pumps increased exponentially and by the time I hit the Texas State line there was a strong pungent musky smell in the air........ I know this smell, vapors of crude oil wisping about...... Yea, I know this smell! it's the smell of money! Welcome to Texas.

Dear God thank you Texas! As I passed the state line I noticed the speed limit sign, 70 mph :clap so I rolled it up to a comfortable 75 and kicked back rolling into Brownfield just before dark. Brownfield is a oil town, so no frills and no campground, didn't care ended up in a overpriced budget motel; it rained again that night..

Woke up and headed out early didn't take many pictures as there really wasn't too much in west Texas but flat ground and oil pumps chugging away.

Topography started changing around Post, TX there was scrub brush and some ups and downs and a few sweepers thrown in, so this made the ride more enjoyable, OH! Before I forget I was passed by a DPS trooper at 75 so I kinda figured 80 would be good :wink:

I passed this place and had to turn around and go check it out, on the map it was showin up as a town at the cross roads named Clairmont but all that was there is an old county jail,court house and gas station

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, time to get moving again, I looked and saw this guy hitchhiking I remember feeling something hit my foot back in NM.

[​IMG]

Would you believe the guy just hopped away when I dislodged him.

Rolled onto Abilene heading to the KOA but there was a Motel 6 next door and for 9 dollars more what the hell A/C and a bed.
  10. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    Next morning woke to clear blue skies. I had read about this area being full of ICBM's once upon a time; needed to head south towards Lawn that is where I found the turn off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a really great ride and was hoping to catch a glimpse, unfortunately all I saw were numerous locked gates posted 'NO TRESPASSING". I knew these were the roads as they were straight narrow with very old crumbling pavement. But it was a great relaxing ride

Here some interesting information about the "Atlas ICBM Highway"

You might find this interesting too: "Missile Base Bachelor Pad"

Stayed on the thinnest black line roads I could ride and they were all great two lane roads with 65 and 70 mile per hour posted limits. I saw so many old houses along the way that are slowly being reclaimed by the elements and nature, I pasted through numerous small town that appeared to be holding on to life by their preverbal fingernails from good times long past. Sometimes I felt as if I were passing through Sparta from in the "Heat of the Night"

I was now feeling the humid air too

This was innovative on keeping grounds maintenance down Artificial Tuff

[​IMG]

Random Shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well that's pretty much it for now, as this is a long over due trip for me to visit family I've been away for many, many years. I also have to lay to rest some old scars/grudges, along with some adolescent memories.

Had to go see Mama in Louisiana Haven't been here in 25 years, since I buried her. way over due.
    [​IMG]

So I'll leave you with this for now. I had a Great time reconnecting with family. Alas this is not the end of this ride, I parked my steed in my Sister's Garage and will fly back down in February 2014

That's my great nephew, he emulated everything I did with my bike followed me around everywhere.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have places and things yet to do and the first on my list when I return is:

Mardi Gras in Lafayette La. Great Food! and down to earth Zydeco Music

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nf0he709d1k" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="640"></iframe>

I know this is not an exciting climbing a mountain, white knuckle mayhem, rock strewn kinda ride, but for me in was just want the doctor ordered.

I'll pick this up again in 2014

See you out there :ricky
  11. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I'm enjoying your report even if it's isn't full of climbing mountains, I like seeing the other things out there too. The Atlas ICBM Hwy, is interesting. Thanks for posting the links.

When I saw the picture of the cotton field it reminded me of the first time I saw a cotton field. I was so in awe of what I was seeing I stopped along side of the road and walked into the field so I could touch and feel cotton on it's plant. Everyday things for some people are new and exciting for others. :thumb
  12. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never seen a cotton field in person. Must be awesome in person. Have to agree with Ladybug, enjoying the neat photo's of the old town's and things in the town's even when they ain't in the forest.
  13. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    Thanks LB, nice to see your keeping tabs on me. What I thought was cool is the truck dropping off those huge compressed bails of cotton and the Gins for processing.

Admiral, I rode along back roads with cotton fields on both sides of me for about 30 miles, what is missing from the pictures is the heavy humidity hanging in the air and the songs of thousands of Cicada's all around you.
  14. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great story and pitchurs... thanks!
  15. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:
    Good thing you're done with them Federally Run Joints, my wife is on Furlough as is the rest of the NPS, real shame that we can't visit the places we all consider treasures.

OTOH: Great ride Sam, I'll have to let my mom read it next time she pops in, looks like you're having fun!

PS: Anything you may have read about flesh eating bacteria in the Hot Springs here was debunked by our Dept. of Health..... :huh
  16. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:

Yea I guess I timed it right. It's really to bad for all those folks who spent all that money to fly over there and not be able to get into Volcanoes Park! Bummer.

Make sure and tell your mom Hi.

Flesh eating what? not talking about Ahalanui Park; are you?

17. CeeBee

CeeBee The Cake Baker

Oddometer:
    Hey Sam,
    Just found your RR, Nice read! :clap Call me when you come down in Feb.
    we'll go for a ride and I'll buy you lunch. :freaky
    Chuck
  18. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    Hi'ya Chuck :wave been a long time. I have your number on a piece of paper in my tank bag on the Tiger. Was meaning to call you, but I had relatives I've not been in contact with for 15+ years coming out of the wood work at me.

Tell you what I promise to call and sit a spell with you when I get back down there. My bike's in Hockley; aren't you up around Conroe? We use to have some property around "Cut and Shoot" and long, long time ago, bet it's all changed. I'll be coming in around the third week of February. Interested in riding over to Lafayette for Marti Gras?

http://www.lafayettetravel.com/play/festivalsevents/mardi-gras

:wink: :1drink
  19. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:
    That's the place, there's a reason why I never let grandma take our son down there, Bacteria is a driving factor, hypodermics on the shore seals the deal! Lower Puna, Love it or Avoid it, great Riding though....
  20. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    Just an FYI

Ticket Purchased will be heading back down February 16th. Been doing some map pouring and decided This next part will be "Bayou Country Run" Going to skirt as close to the Gulf as possible through southern Louisiana approaching New Orleans from the south.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aGU3h1kCkCM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="640"></iframe>

I think it's going to be a Tooting-Hoot of a time!

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8ipI2qnUGuQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="640"></iframe>

That is all for now............