Harmonizer

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by akabeton, Apr 18, 2013.

1. akabeton

akabeton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is anybody using the "Harmonizer" on their airhead?

Not much info, other than a vendor thread and a couple of "YouTube" demos.

The vendor was at one point setting up a website, I tried a search with no result, even with the web address displayed on front of the device.

I have subscribed to the original thread. In the interim I thought I'd ask here too.

Thanks
  2. BOETJE

BOETJE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes,
    Compared it to the Morgan Carbtune, and the Harmonizer is better.
    Excellent tool in my honest opinion
  3. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    Yes. Bought one from the second production run (I think) and used it just once. It was super easy and my carbs were slightly out of balance before. Really nice tool to have.
  4. 100RT

100RT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have one also and think it's a great tool for my needs. I have used the merc stix for years but this is less of a problem to use.
    81 R100RT
    03 R1150RT
  5. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
  6. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Not me. I've used mercry stic and a Walus differential meter. The Walus was super sensitive and accurate. Finally decided vacuum methods didn't work well and got rid of all the gear. I could just nail the vacuum but the motor wasn't very smooth.

Many prefer to use vacuum. Haven't met any claimed to be good doing it both ways and then still prefering vacuum. They may be out there.
  7. brocktoon

brocktoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just for fun I've been thinking about trying to set up a DIY "Harmonizer", as the original maker seems to be slow in producing them. There are several tutorials and schematics on creating a digital carb synchronization tool using vacuum gauges hooked up to an Arduino (electronic prototyping device).

Anyone know the useful psi range the vacuum gauges would need to measure for our Airheads? I may just order a few from digikey.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Throttle-Body-Syncronization-Shield/
    http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73158
    http://youtu.be/HkCHG0MW7HA
  8. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    I recommend using a properly damped manometer. Inches of liquid is THE scientific standard. It's Mother Nature showing what is going on. Ports are balanced on flow benches with manometers. Why have an electronic contraption than mimics one? Portability? IF I need to adjust something on the road, I do it by ear. My ears have had a good teacher. You can't get any better teacher than a manometer.
  9. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    The arduinos are perfect for this. If you're only working on twins just buy a differential vacuum sensor instead of individual pressure sensors, you won't need to worry about calibration.
  10. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was trying to do the "plug shorting method" - a real PITA for me, couldn't seem to get it right - other's swear by it. Got out my old "carb sticks" (mercury manometer) and balanced carbs right on the money. I'd be willing to try the "harmonizer" as some think it is GREAT, but others (Tom Cutter) say don't waste your money - to each his own.
  11. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're going to get creative with an Arduino, why stay in the past by measuring vacuum? It's only a surrogate for smooth operation; these days we can measure the crank speed itself to figure out if it's running smoothly. That's what the Hexheads do.

Set a HES so that it reads the flywheel teeth, and then program the Arduino to compare alternate rotations. You will see the power pulse show up as crank acceleration, and you want the same acceleration on successive rotations.
  13. LoJack

LoJack Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like my Harmonizer, but have not used anything else other than the little spark plug extension rods I got from JTWind. I've not been at this as long as some of you guys, though.

No vacuum port on the slide carbs of my /5, which is why I got those carb sync rods.
  14. Stan_R80/7

Stan_R80/7 Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer:
    FWIW, plug grounding synchronizing was something I learned from the internet and works well for me. My (homemade) spark plug grounding extensions are in my tool kit. Having used various synchronizers for SU, Stromberg, and Bing carburetors, I prefer the simplicity of plug grounding (and the results). However, having another carburetor synchronizing gadget is always appealing. Other than the extra intake disassembly and reassembly needed, I expect the harmonizer works fine.
  15. Plaka

Oddometer:
    I swear by 'em, and mine are just home made. The little ones go in the tool kit and the big fancy home made ones live in the shop. I was going to make a cross shorting box but the project got stalled by a move and I ended up doing something different in the end.

If you travel far I think you should at least know how to do it and be somewhat in practice. it's extremely portable, gives good results and doesn't take batteries.
  16. LoJack

LoJack Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Making them is easy enough, sure, I just lived in the same town as Jeff and picked up a few other things at the same time. He's a good guy to support.:deal
  17. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    I need some tips on how to do the grounding technique. I sounds simple and straight-forward but I was struggling to get it right. From what I have read, it should be a very accurate method to balance carbs.
  18. Plaka

Oddometer:
  19. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    No way. :D

Tome Cutter has to be the biggest naysayer in the Beemer universe. I wonder what his reasoning was?? I don't feel like going to Airlist and wading thru all his posts to find out.

No room in the slide-valve carbs for vacuum fittings, so I drilled and tapped them into the intake ports of my /5.

[​IMG]

I can balance by the shorting method close enough, but the Harmonizer gives that little edge to smoothness. And is quicker and easier.

--Bill