Slipper clutch noise on LC?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Drew, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Drew

Drew Over the line

Oddometer:
    The original post ended up DOA in the GS-LC Problems thread,so I thought 'd ressurrect it to see if anyone else's WC GS does this:

2013 water-cooled GS, 17,500 miles. When in first gear, clutch disengaged and coasting (less than 5 MPH), there is a banging sound and corrsponding feeling through the footpegs, almost like a u-joint is binding.

You can also feel it when pushing the bike around in first, with the clutch disengaged and engine running.

The bike runs and shifts perfectly otherwise. There are no unusual vibrations at speed, just the chunkachunka when coasting to a stop, or downhill under 5 MPH.

On the center stand and in neutral, you can spin the rear tire by hand, and no noise or clunking is present. With the engine off and in neutral, you can't feel any roughness in the driveline when turning the rear wheel.

I'm thinking it is a characteristic of the slipper clutch, but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this before I take it to the dealer.
  2. Byrdguy

Byrdguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't sound normal to me, I'd take it to the dealer. Still under warranty, right?
  3. Flying Tivo

Flying Tivo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not normal!

Felipe
  4. Drew

Drew Over the line

Oddometer:
    I visited my dealer today, and although he hasn't ridden the bike, the service manager says the noise is probably the slipper clutch ramps.

I'll have them ride it when I bring it back for the left switchgear and instrument cluster replacements that they're ordering for me today.
  5. kmasa

kmasa n00b

Oddometer:

Drew,

I also have 2013 GS LC and it's dong the same thing & it's driving me nuts. The dealer also told me that line about "slipper clutch/clutch basket" reason. I would like to know what you found out and if you were able to get the issue resolved. I'm thinking something has come loose...pressure plate bolts, broken friction plates...something.

kmasa...
  6. Drew

Drew Over the line

Oddometer:
    I ended up selling that particular bike at 20K miles (not for this reason- the driveline characteristic didn't bother me enough to pursue it further).

I now have a 2015 GS that does not make any type of driveline noise or vibration- go figure.
  7. kmasa

kmasa n00b

Oddometer:
    Ahh...congrats. I was wrong about my diagnosis ... the sound was actually due to VERY loose brake disks up front! So, now I have to figure out why & how to fix it. The shop was no help again ... they fed "they're floating disk setup, some bikes do that ... " line. I really ENJOY riding the new LC and would like to continue to do so! :) Thanks for your feedback!
  8. CJ3Flyer

CJ3Flyer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So your sure it's the brakes? Does it do it with the engine off in N?

My '13 rattled in a similar way but if I was in N, engine off, it did not. I just assumed it was the clutch but really have no idea... It never bothered me some reason. Lots of stuff does bother me...:norton