Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia Tag-O-Rama

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by RebRider, May 27, 2011.

1. Falconx84

Falconx84 Lurker

Oddometer:
    Any add'l clues? I'm pretty sure I know the "top" road in the pic, no idea of where that underpass is
  2. gots_a_sol

gots_a_sol Long timer

Oddometer:
    The old timey meaning of the name of this road referred to a stableman. Today it can refer to a certain type of truck driver or railroad engineer.
  3. Falconx84

Falconx84 Lurker

Oddometer:
    grab... tag and pics to follow

Grab - Holster Rd underpass ("top" road is new Rt 9 bypass)

hos·tler
    1. One who is employed to tend horses, especially at an inn.
    2. One who services a large vehicle or engine, such as a locomotive.

[​IMG]

Ned, the ugly duckling that he is, wanted to check out some fine waterfowl. So we headed in the direction of some beautiful white fowl who supposedly own a body of water +/- 16 miles away. Nice scenery and all, but once Ned saw the manor he knew he was out of his league so he wanted to find a good place to stop for a bit. Ned is by the leg on a little shelf-like support, right in the corner

[​IMG]
  4. gots_a_sol

gots_a_sol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Grab. Greensburg Road a little ways past Swan Pond Road.

[​IMG]

Tag.

[​IMG]

If you stand in front of the store, Ned is to the right of the front door being squashed by a brick. :rofl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The road this old store is on connects two major roads. The sum of the 2 digits of one road equals the number of the other single digit road. These two numbers also happen to be popular handgun calibers.

The store is about 1/3 or 2/3rds of the way down the road depending on which way you come from.
  5. RebRider

RebRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice weather upon us... hope everyone is getting a chance to ride even if you dont get a chance to get a tag. oh and some nice tagging and grabbing going on....!!!

be careful out there and watch for idiots in cages...

A fatal hit-and-run accident involving another motorcycle completely shut down the main northbound lanes of I-95 for more than two hours on Tuesday near the Fairfax County Parkway. Authorities are searching for the tractor-trailer responsible for striking the man.

second serious motorcycle wreck in as many days, completely shut down northbound I-95 in Virginia, resulting in massive delays. Police say the accidents began around 5:45 a.m. when a Chrysler station wagon rear-ended a 2012 Honda Civic. A 2009 Harley-Davidson motorcycle then ran into the back of station wagon, throwing a man from the bike and into a tractor-trailer.
    A MedEvac helicopter transported the motorcyclist to Inova Fairfax Hospital with life-threatening injuries. Police have not released his identity.
    Additionally, three separate cars were involved in a chain-reaction crash to avoid hitting the motorcycle.
    The Chrysler station wagon’s driver, Sandra T. Wilson of Ruther Glen, Va., has been charged with following too closely, Virginia State Police say.
    Delays extended southward for more than seven miles at one point
  6. gots_a_sol

gots_a_sol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some really nice weather recently, do I need to post something more specific for Ned's location?
  7. 5punksdad

5punksdad Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer:
    well I was thinking of popular caliber weapons. .357, .44, .45, 9, .22, .25, .38, .380 ........then I just quit thinking and went after the NWva tag.:lol3
  8. gots_a_sol

gots_a_sol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, they are both in your little list there, so...
  9. 5punksdad

5punksdad Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer:
    I figured as much....but the intersection I can find. Its all good

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2
  10. Falconx84

Falconx84 Lurker

Oddometer:
    There's a face plant thread about a hit & run off Rt 51 of you haven't seen it yet.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881419

And one of my co-workers is pretty tore up after riding well beyond his skill set and target fixation on a guardrail... seasonal rider+ 600cc lowered sport bike + 2x speed limit+ fixed object= massive internal injuries & fractured femur (x5 places). Oh and half a mil plus in med bills.

It's dangerous enough out there, don't make it harder on yourself. If you only ride seasonal, take some time to clear off the rust and sharpen your skills.
  11. Falconx84

Falconx84 Lurker

Oddometer:
    So I thought I'd take advantage of the wonderful weather pattern moving through... That and I was rather embarrassed when I realized that Ned was practically in my backyard and I didn't even realize it until this morning. So I thought a nice relaxing rainy ride would help.

This was the clue:
    I knew right off that the roads were 45 and 9. I was running through every place I knew where they intersected and I could not figure out where the pics were from. This morning I looked at it again and realized that he wasn't at an intersection of 9/45, but on a road that simply connects the two other roads. I looked back at the pic and realized Ned was just a couple miles up to road from me, on a section of road that I ride nearly every chance I get. I didn't recognize it because I'm always setting up to take the next right-hand curve. Ned was off Rt 7 (a rifle caliber, coincidentally) near Jones Spring. Closest intersection is Townsend Ridge Rd & Back Creek Valley Rd.

Anyway, with Ned rescued I went to take the picture and remembered that my boots were no longer water resistant when I stepped in the river flowing next to the road. (I later discovered that although they won't keep water out, they do a decent job keeping it in. Every start/stop I could feel the water slosh back/forth... kept me fairly entertained for the next 40 miles)

Ned is on the pillion seat
    [​IMG]

I kind of liked the idea of putting Ned near an old business so I took him my one of my favorite watering holes. The pool tables sucked, the darts were busted, the karaoke was awful... but the beer was cheap and cheeseburgers were AMAZING. I used to stop in for a burger/sweet tea anytime I went by there. Sadly, due to the new bypass, the only current existing location is in Palm Beach, Florida. If they had the same cook I'd be really tempted for a road trip... wish I knew where he went.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. RebRider

Oddometer:
    :clap..... Great Weather for Ducks..... and extra points for grabbing in the rain....:D

Bracky use to do alot of tagging too... speedy recovery to Bracky.... hope they FIND and charge the guy...and put him under the jail.

-----------------------------
    yes... agree need to be careful at all times....especially if dont ride on regular bases..... oh and the law of physics aren't normally challenged and won.

13. luvindacars8897

luvindacars8897 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Taking advantage of this nice weather:D, headed out for the grab now!

Grab-

The old brass ring pub in kearneysville.
    [​IMG]
  14. luvindacars8897

luvindacars8897 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tag-
    Ned is located at the base of the bush to the right of the sign.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. RebRider

Oddometer:
    Well wasn't the best weekend for tagging .... Did have some rain so thought FalconX84 might have done some tagging in the rain.... :1drink
  16. Falconx84

Falconx84 Lurker

Oddometer:
    Life's been busy these days... might find some time on Wednesday if I can play my cards right.
  17. RebRider

Oddometer:

yeah i know what you mean... spring has sprung and been pretty busy myself...

====================================================
    oh, not sure of other are aware of this or not just found out about this business in Winchester... (did a search on ADV and they are in some of the threads too)... worth checking out....:1drink

http://www.dualsportarmory.com/index.php

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dual-Sport-Armory-LLC/216544221725452

[​IMG]
  18. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know what you guys mean. I'm too busy to even ride these days...:cry

Dual Sport Armory has already been tagged in the VA tag game. :evil
  19. gots_a_sol

gots_a_sol Long timer

Oddometer:
    He helped me with the shock setup on my Husky (new spring and told me where to start with the sag and clickers)

Before that, he had come out on a group ride to Taskers with us late last year. I thought I was flying down the trail and here he comes just cruising on by like he was on the highway :rofl

================================================== ==

Back to the riding game, I'd go get it, but it seems SOMEBODY robbed my DRZ of its starter solenoid then proceeded to sell his DRZ with it on there. And I'm far too lazy to kick start the bike all day :lol3
  20. Falconx84

Falconx84 Lurker

Oddometer:
    Good tip on the suspension stuff... I came across dual sport armory a while back but didn't really need any more accessories for my mostly road-going strom. I've tried messing with the factory suspension adjustment but I know it could be better if someone with real experience could tweak it.