Power Comander V - F800GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Calikatoom, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Calikatoom

Calikatoom Norcal Moto Nut

Oddometer:
    Has anyone actually installed a Power Commander V?

I just bought one for the F800GS and am looking for any other maps that might be out there besides the ones found on the Power COmmander site.

My primary goal is an increase in torque although added HP is always nice.

I am using my patented "wheelie scale" as the seat of the pants Dyno test.

I already dropped one tooth in the counter shaft sprocket. This makes a world of difference offroad! 2nd gear is sooo much more usable in the tight stuff!

I also removed the cat converter and added a remus muffler and Uni airfilter.

However, 2nd gear wheelies on the street still require clutch to pull it up. My R1200GS would stand itself vertical in 2nd gear with no problem! I am hoping to get close to that with the F800GS using gearing and power mods.

I don't want to gear down any further. The current ratio is great for what I like(offroad). And it is already pretty buzzy at 75 mph on the hwy.

I read the "engine tuning" thread already. I don't want to get into a debate about compression ratios, mpg etc.

I just want to know if anyone has started playing with a Power Commander yet. What was your experience?

If I am the first, then I will be happy to share my experience as I get things installed and programmed!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not turn this thread into a huge debate about what everyone thinks is right or wrong about engine tuning! I am hoping to find real experience from real people who have actually tried the Power Commander on an F800.

Thanks!
    Gail
  2. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    I've been considering one for my bike. I'd need a slightly different tune than you since I'd have stock filter and a LV pipe + altitude where I live is 5,000 ft or so.

I am interseted in your opinion and findings on how it works and improves things.

Why not just pay the money for a real dyno tune with sniffer? I know it is expensive but with the PCV it can really be dialed in by gear, etc.
  3. Calikatoom

Oddometer:
    I just might fork out the dough for a full Dyno tune. However if someone already has done this and has a map to share, I'd prefer to "plug and play"!

This bike is so close to perfection. A little more meaty power off the bottom and I will be in heaven!

The Power Commander made a heck of a difference on my R1200GS. I am hoping for the same experience with the F800GS.
  4. Law Dawg (ret)

Law Dawg (ret) Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So Gail, when did you get the F8GS? One big advantage (to me) will be the ability to use your R&D experience with farkles for mine...this PC maybe included. I would be most interested in the affect on fuel mileage.
  5. ShaunJ

ShaunJ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Considering buying a power commander for my 800 but i want to get the map switch so i can change from an eco map to a power map does any one know if this is possible
  6. Calikatoom

Oddometer:
    I believe it is with the new Power Commander V. I was toying with that idea myself.
  7. Calikatoom

Oddometer:
    Hi Mark!

Keep it quiet! I was holding off on posting pics at pashnit until the project was done. I totaled the R1200GS. (head-on with a quad out on a dirt road)

I have learned lots building this bike!

If you have questions, call or shoot me a PM.

Are you still healing up good? I look forward to riding with you one of these days!

-Gail
  8. Mike.C

Mike.C Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer:
    I've got a full monty PCV setup on my Guzzi.

Yes you can switch between two saved maps on the fly while riding. What you cannot do however is use Map switching and the Auto Tune together, you have to choose one or the other.
  9. Law Dawg (ret)

Law Dawg (ret) Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yer secret is safe...I know how to keep those. :wink:

When the knee replacements quit trying to kill me and heal up :kurt , I plan on a return ride to Cycle Specialties for that Stebel air horn mount and some BMW outlet rerouting. Might try to beg a spot on the couch and time it for a ride. It has been far too long amigo. :thumb

I'll be following this post with interest. The ability to switch mapping on the road is enticing. However, long rider stuff often requires more fuel mileage than this bike offers and so the eco setting needs to be thrifty indeed.
  10. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    The idea of a PC is that you can hit the target air-fule mix all the way through the rev range. That mix produces the best HP for the fuel used. Less and you are lean, more and you are rich. Both are not good for a motor. It is better to get the right Air/Fuel mix and then ride it the way you want for conditions.

The mileage will change but should not be drastic.

That said, before this turns into some sort of an off topic debate... I am considering a PCV for the F800 but do not need a lecture on why someone thinks I am wrong on what I said above. If you want a debate on it just PM me. I might or might not PM you back. :rofl
  11. Grits&Gravy

Grits&Gravy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just purchased and installed a Power Commander V on my 2011 F800GS. I Should wrap up the install tonight. The instructions were made using an older 2009? model. They tell you to unplug the O2 sensor and show its location being behind the rectifier on the right side of your bike. I removed mine and there was no plug there. After tracing the wire from the O2 sensor and cutting a few tie wraps and wishing I had hands the size of a 4 yr old, my O2 sensor plug is behind the fuel canister and between the rear shock and back of the engine. I was considering just cutting the wires at the O2 sensor, but I think I will just take the time and try to get to the actuall plug and unplug it and tape it up.

This afternoon.....
    I was able to get to dislocate the plug from the frame mounting point using a long flat blade screw driver and some long needle nose pliers Once I got it freed I was able to pull it to the outside of the frame and get my hands on it to unplug it. I ended up taping up both sides of the separated plug and tie wrapping it all back up out of the way.

The outcome......
    Usually when I crank the bike cold it blubbers and stumbles sometimes stalling until warm. With the PC-V, cranking the bike in 39 deg F temps it idled smooth as butter straight out the gate. The twitchiness of the throttle is gone and the transition thru the gears is a lot smoother than before. This bike has 88XX miles on it and I purchased it with 13 miles. I can tell the difference. My anticipated goal was not looking for performance gains, but rather looking for this bike to mellow out and be smoother. I can say that by installing the PC-V, I have retained the results I was looking for, but I can also say that I was lifting the front tire in 2nd gear while making turns thru my neighborhood and that didn't happen before. It's just a sweet spot and the bike is pulling more than previously thru the lower gears and higher RPM's and lifting the front. It was definitely a surprise to me and not what I was expecting.

At the moment I am very satisfied. This weekend I will be going for a ride and getting a better feel of the results.
  12. halfcabnut

halfcabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Grneggs
    Are you running Auto tune as well?
  13. Grits&Gravy

Oddometer:
    No, I just loaded the map for the LV-slip on from Dynojet onto the PC-V. I didn't feel like the AT was necessary for what I was trying to achieve.
  14. halfcabnut

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info ,im about to pull the trigger myself .Only reason im thinking about the auto tune is diffrent elevations I ride in .

Thanks Dan.S
  15. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need the auto tune, if you are not tuning on a dyno. And even so, I would still verify it all on a dyno, but that's just me.
  16. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Does the auto tune constantly tune or does it read and then you accept the trims later on the CPU?

I know on the Bazzaz system (not for F800GS but for my trackbike) it reads the AFR and then I review and accept the trims later.
  17. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    In a round about way it controls the a/f values you have specified when you hook up your laptop. Lets say you ride, and want to get rid of the snatchy throttle.... you can then set a acceptable a/f ratio of idle, to say what ever rpm you want. The AT will then conform to that, along with other a/f values you have specified. The reason for my thought on the dyno, is that it will verify that all is as it appears ( readout on your flaptop...):D
  18. halfcabnut

Oddometer:
    Well right or wrong I ordered the power comander v with auto tune this afternoon ,Ill report back on how it does .
    With the changes I have made to the bike I feel I have to do something .
    Dan.s
  19. Grits&Gravy

Oddometer:
    The AutoTune does exactly what it says. It "Auto"-matically adjusts settings while you ride in relationship to the info it is gathering from the bikes sensors and giving you the "optimum" performance at that moment. Basically it is supposed to omit you having to Dyno-Tune your bike. I talked to the guys at PC about what it does before I purchased. Call them, and they will explain it to you in great detail. The Tune that I put on mine is one that DynoJet made for the F800GS with a LV slip-on w/ DB killer installed, which is what I am running. If you have a different exhaust or a different air filter, then this tune would possibly not be perfect for your bike, therefore you would need to have it Dyno-tuned, or install the AutoTune and let it do it's job.
  20. halfcabnut

Oddometer:
    Yep i spoke with them ,really informative .They advised me with some of the changes I had made to the bike Auto tune would be helpful to me.I must say Im excited to here your seat of the pants review ,I think the F8 is a great bike but always wished it had a little more bite., Hopefully this will help satisfy that.