The New DR650 Safari Tank And Rally Fairing.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Lupine128, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Lupine128

Lupine128 That's MR Band Aid!

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> (this is also on the DR650 thread but i thought others might be interested.
    mods feel free to kill it if you think it should just be there.)

As far as I know this is the first time anyone is getting a good look at this,
    So with the help of Mark at Team Moto and with all due ceremony I present to you

The Safari Tanks DR650 Rally Fairing.

this is the third one made, as far as i know. someone in Brisbane has already grabbed the first production one, and there was a prototype before that.

the new fairing is designed to accept the standard light and indicators with a minimum of fuss, they bolt straight on. if you aren't running a trailtech dash or something similar, you should have clearance along the bottom edge of the dash ledge to allow the original speedo and dash lights to stay where they are and the key won't need moving.
    it comes primed, but not painted so you can have any color you like as long as you paint it.
    and last but not least, it's fiberglass not plastic, so when you bin it it's easy to repair and if you want to strengthen it you can slap some more resin and glass on there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bad news is that the fairing will NOT retro fit with the current Safari tank.
    the new tank has significant strengthening along the top edge where the fairing bolts on and the current tank can't really be modified to accept the bolts.

retail will be approximately $1070 for the tank and fairing. although Mark did suggest a small discount if you mention the ADV forum and this post.

might mean that a load of old safari tanks come up for sale soon...
    ZeeZeeMoto and GypsyWriter like this.
  2. KASUYAHO

KASUYAHO Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much ? as-in-how-much-it-will-lighten-the-load
  3. Lupine128

Lupine128 That's MR Band Aid!

Oddometer:
    $1070 as far as I know.
  4. poppy

poppy Slow and Steady

Oddometer:
    Is it just me or does this seem quiet expensive. $1070.00 would be approx 15% of a new bike price. How much is the tank?
  5. Gadget678

Gadget678 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Safari tanks are usually $650...
  6. digga1111

digga1111 bann ed

Oddometer:
    would like to see one on a bike. dont think it would sit very high
  7. DR Steve

DR Steve Long timer

Oddometer:

From the look of those pics it's not any higher than the stock headlight shroud.

Does seem to be KTM/BMW pricing....
  8. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    So that's around a little over $400 for a fibreglass fairing? Seems a bit steep, especially considering the $650 for the tank. I woulda thought buying the combo would work out cheaper. And it looks "short".

On the basis of what I've seen in the photos, my verdict is: Lipstick on a pig.

Still, it might look a whole lot beter on a bike eh.
  9. STVO

STVO Adventurer

Oddometer:

I'm thinking the new tank may cost a bit more than $650 due to the extra bracing, so... even if the fairing was $300... thats $300 + paint for a fairing thats about the same height as the stock one... they gotta be on drugs.
  10. Gadget678

Gadget678 Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I believe that this one was the prototype.

I'm not sure about the DR, but removing the weight of the headlight and instruments from the forks made a hell of a difference to the way my DRZ rides/handles/feels..... but I had to custom build mine, which isn't cheap or easy.

If you think that the price is excessive, try looking at the Mecca systems & other fairings... approx 515 euro (AU$627). For something that's custom built for the bike, I think the price is reasonable.... just a shame they can't be retrofitted to the old tanks, but I'm sure some DR owners will figure out a way to make it work.:D
  11. Kernel

Kernel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks to me they've purposely built it short so that you can adjust the total height if you want by unbolting that windshield and putting a longer one on, which they'll most likely sell a couple different sizes as an accessory.

edit: just saw the first post, they don't have that piece of plastic bolted on?? weird.
    anyway, that answers the question I had as to how much room it adds in the cockpit for stuff, which is quite a bit!!
    looks a bit funny from a dead side-on view, I wonder how it will look on the bike. I know the big safari tank has always made the DR look a bit funny side-on, here's hoping this fairing fixes that as a nice bonus, but something tells me it's gonna make it look even funnier...
  12. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Price is ok (maybe a touch high) considering the small amount that will be made.
    It's a shame that they made it out of choppy.

He has taken a problem and solved it in the simplest way possible.
    Copying the standard mask then extending it down to the tank and using the tank as the mount is a great way to keep costs down for him and the purchaser.
    The ability to be able to retain all of your bikes stock components is great.

He knows dr rider are almost as tight as klr riders and would never pay for a
    more custom fairing mounted to the head stem.
    Ive thought about producing a fairing for the dr but I wanted to mount it off the headstem and use a different light so cost would be high and no one would buy it.

It may be ugly but no doubt it will do the job especially with a small extension to the screen.
  13. Coopsdad

Coopsdad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Think I'd rather get a britannia Composites if it's gonna be that sorta money
  14. neilaction

neilaction Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer:
    Not being a retro fit is a deal breaker for me. :deal
  15. TcRulz

TcRulz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the standard headlight that good it's worth keeping? Can see all the possibilities but won't retrofit to an old tank and the price:cry Thought they were going to produce something in plastic and would have had all the tank colours covered. Just sayin a white fairing and a blue tank still requires money spent on having it painted:eek1
  16. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope the standard light is prety crap.
  17. kyleoz

kyleoz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a britania composites jobie and have been awaiting this for ages....... No retro fit = fark offfffffff ...... we talked about a retro fit, it didn't happen....... Ill fark around till mines perfect, thanks all the same!!

buying new, starting over...... No wuckenfurries!!! ......... But not this
    late in my game.........

Ps. The std headlights is better than any bike iv been on.... You'd be a sick farker to change it.......

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
  18. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    It must have been a long and hard thought decision on Safari's part to not make it a retrofit as there are a lot of tanks out there and hence a lot of interest, but as discussed previously on the thread to keep costs down by not having to make additional brackets and requiring frame mods to provide a stable base then making a new tank is the logical way to go.

For me I've been considering a Safari tank for a while so I'm keen to see the new tank and fairing on a bike so I can decide just to go with the tank or get the whole lot.
    GypsyWriter likes this.
  19. Portly

Portly Plodder

Oddometer:
    You can get a lot more out of the headlight with a relay kit and a super bright H4 bulb.
    I have a +70 bulb in mine and it's not bad.
    +100 bulbs are available now and would be better still.
  20. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would make a great Darth Vader mask for Halloween.