Playing Chess with Zeus, the "Lord of the Sky and the God of Rain"

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by masterbrewer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. masterbrewer

masterbrewer TDMster

Oddometer:
    :thumb

The "Game Board"

.............. a map in my tank bag :deal

.............. the "Opponent" :- Zeus, "Lord of the Sky and the God of Rain" :bow

.............. the "Challenge" :- making the right moves to stay dry :rayof

.............. the "Winner" :- easily a wet or dry decision :D

After several weeks of fighting illness from the flu, I didn't have the energy to handle a large group, so it was a soft whisper to a few locals. Unfortunately due to either work commitments, mechanical hassles or other excuses, it was left up to KymW & myself to lodge the only entry. :ricky

[​IMG]

We could see we were up against a formidable opponent, with Zeus's carefull placement of his chess pieces in the distance or was that just plain dumpin' on the opposition. :huh

[​IMG]

If it wasn't trying to drown us, he was dead set on misting our vision :lol3

[​IMG]

As opportunities arose looking to the heavens, we made successful moves to each 'safety dry square' on the chess board :deal zig & zagging our 'Knight steeds' with the true enjoyment of nature around us. :wings

[​IMG]

Maybe were we kidding ourselves and we were just plain pawns in his hands, being set up to be cornered for the unexpected 'checkmate' but it was fun nonetheless ................... while you are winning that is. :rofl

[​IMG]

Initially it wasn't looking that hopefull to stay dry, whether from above or below :lol3

[​IMG]

But our confidence rose on winning the first move :evil

[​IMG]

With easy cruising enjoyable tracks in the peaceful countryside under bright sunshine, we were sure we were getting the upper hand :rayof

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once on the plains we were again warned of Zeus's power & anger at our success to date, with his heavy dumping of rain on our recently travelled hill tracks.

With more moisture from above heading our way, we tucked our tails between our legs (figuratively speaking :D ) and high tailed it, east to the Mannum Waterfalls to witness an enormous amount of water gushing through the granite rocks below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lunch under the verandah of the Mannum Bakery in misting rain, confirmed we were making the correct moves :thumb

After a quick squirt to Teal Flat for a quick looksee, we headed west towards Rathjen Gap, with a sense of confidence, gaining "trust" in our abilities to win this tornament at each rest stop, :D

[​IMG]

Careful placement & timing was in our favour again, as the heavens opened. :norton

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luckily the roof wasn't leaking with just mud walls here. :huh

[​IMG]

With eyes peeled towards Zeus, we made our next move with a quick dash to our own noble "knight's steeds" in the distance.

[​IMG]

Easily tackling the recently flooded river bed.

[​IMG]

Always conscious of the heavens above, we estimated cloud speed / distance to be travelled and made our next move through the picturesque Kubenk track, west through the ranges seeking protection within the Rockleigh Old School House grounds, as a big black cloud attacked us again. :huh

.............. we were obviously angering the rain god and we could no longer conceal our excitement and dry smiles :jack inadvertantly letting slip comments like:

"What ?............................................ is this the best you can do?"

Mmmmm??. ... maybe we should have kept those thoughts to ourselves, as there was still a ways to go to get home :lol3

[​IMG]

After our frolly of inciting comments, we kept an even closer eye on Zeus, matching his every move.

............................................... "failing was no longer an option"

..... as the last few moves of this real life game were potentionally too chilling to contemplate :eek1 ............ literally :lol3

With continued vigilance we made the right moves to enable us to quench our thirst (with still dry clothes) at Hahndorf :freaky

....... and then timing it perfectly for the dash down the freeway back to the big smoke :D

A most easily enjoyable day in the saddle, yet challenging game of chance.

Success is so satisfying :wings

Now for more of this ........ :dutch

Cheers

:beer
  2. LC4nicator

LC4nicator Certified Wino

Oddometer:
    All it would've taken was a call Kym.
    Zeus and me are mates from way back:wink:

Top Report and good ta see ya back on the steed mate.
  3. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    neat countryside~!
  4. jmcg

jmcg Turpinated..

Oddometer:
    Great ride and pics.

Thanks.

JM.
  5. Auntie_BB

Auntie_BB thread killer

Oddometer:
    It's always good to see the 850 out on the trails. Thanks MB
  6. The Cougar

The Cougar Barry Dawson's Twin

Oddometer:
    Zeus has been down here on a 'full time' basis Kym. He's won every round at the moment.

Nice RR and pics.:clap
  7. PSYCHO II

PSYCHO II Crusty Demon

Oddometer:
    Chess with Zeus would be better than chess with Boris Spassky. But then again Boris doesn't use the elemets of nature.
  8. Backonthebike

Backonthebike Giddy up

Oddometer:
    Kym,
    You have to adopt the Zen approach.
    About a month ago I decided to try out my new Rev'it triple layer gear.
    I rode around the Adelaide hills chasing rain squalls, only to find that when I got to where I had seen them, they had moved on.
    The lesson: Chase the rain and you probably won't catch it.

Cheers
    Tim
  9. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I reckon Zeus has a dodgy prostate. We are getting very localised down pours too, literally 1/2 km square of torrential rain surrounded by blue skys, ah well, spring has sprung & the seasons are in the ring slugging it out.

I love to see you out on the faithful steed MB, inspires me too push my luck over on this side:freakynot a bit of tarmac in sight.