Zundapp - I must be nuts?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by bmwhacker, Mar 2, 2011.

1. bmwhacker

bmwhacker Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer:
    Came across this a few years ago. I'm thinking of a different project and this is definately that. I found today that it is still available. Hopefully it won't bankrupt me if I buy it.:confused Now just have to sell one of my bikes.

1954 Zundapp KS 601
    [​IMG]
  2. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but if you ride it to a BMW rally, they'll all ask you why you put your name on the tank.

:D
    riggpigg likes this.
  3. Kamakura Kid

Kamakura Kid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not? Go for it! Post pics
  4. beys

beys Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the green elephant, great ride

[​IMG]

at the time mostly used with sidecar.

the most interesting feature is the gear box:

[​IMG]

go for it

greets beys
  5. bmwhacker

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someday?
  6. Easy-Z

Easy-Z Me wanna be

Oddometer:
    I've heard of Zundapp, but I've only seen their scooters with that big funky front fender. I got a cursory education from Wikipedia on the brand. The flat twin and the driven sidecar makes me think Ural, but this is obviously not a BMW ripoff. Is there any connection there?

I could Google some more, but could someone give us some more history for the good of everyone reading? Were they ever sold in the States?

BTW, the bike looks very complete. Does it run? I'll be very interested to see the progress. :lurk
  7. east high

east high Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    wtf?
  8. bmwhacker

Oddometer:
    The bike has sat for a number of years. At least it's in a warm building...does not run. Last ran maybe 20 years ago. The owner has not done anything except acquire a few parts it was missing. Fortunately the bike is pretty well complete. Need a tail light and a front fender brace from what I can see. I actually bought a reproduction Hella tail light for my old side car and now see it is the same as the Zundapps used. Parts are not too readily available. Motor is stuck...sounds like a recipe for disaster doesn't it....Engine was free at one point so I'm hoping that it is minor cylinder/ring rust. (hope hope)

The KS601 was made from 1950 - 1958 I believe. I think they only made about 5000 of them. They made smaller bikes into the 70's. The made large & small bikes for the WW2 German Military. I don't know much about their early history. A Zundapp Guru guy I've been talking to says they were somewhat over engineered which shot them down in competition with BMW after the war.
    Some photos I found:

Large Zundapp Military sidecar WW2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a rare 4 cylinder boxer Zundapp. WW2?
    [​IMG]

This one appears to be a twin port 2 cycle single...hand shifted

[​IMG]

Not sure here...maybe a KS600?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A side valve boxer. Not sure what model.
    [​IMG]

Odd ducks for sure.

here we go:

The first Zündapp motorcycle was the model Z22 in 1921. This was the Motorrad für Jedermann ("motorcycle for everyone"), a simple and reliable design that was produced in large series. Zündapp's history of heavy motorcycles began in 1933 with the K-series. The "K" stands for "Kardanantrieb", i.e. enclosed driveshaft with two universal joints, the type of drivetrain that these models used. They introduced the enclosed engine case, a novelty at the time. The series encompassed models from 200 to 800 cc displacement and was a major success, increasing Zündapp's market share in Germany from 5% in 1931 to 18% in 1937.
    From 1931 Ferdinand Porsche and Zündapp developed the prototype Auto für Jedermann ("car for everyone"), which was the first time the name "Volkswagen" was used. Porsche preferred the 4-cylinder flat engine, but Zündapp used a water-cooled 5-cylinder radial engine. In 1932 three prototypes were running. All three cars were lost during the war, the last in 1945 in Stuttgart during a bombing raid.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A Zündapp KS750 Wehrmacht sidecar from the 1940s

From 1936 to 1938 Zündapp produced the KKS500 model. This was the first Zündapp with a foot gearchange, and 170 examples were built.<SUP id=cite_ref-0 class=reference>[1]</SUP> From 1940 onwards Zündapp produced more than 18,000 units of the Zündapp KS 750.<SUP id=cite_ref-1 class=reference>[2]</SUP> This is a sidecar outfit with a driven side wheel and a locking differential, supplied to the German Wehrmacht.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Zündapp Bella scooter

After the Second World War the company gradually shifted to producing smaller machines, notably the "Bella" motor scooter, which was, however, a relatively heavy machine for its type. In 1951 Zündapp released the last of its heavy motorcycle models, but also one of its most famous: the KS601 (the "green elephant") with a 598 cc two cylinder engine. From 1957 to 1958 the company also produced the Zündapp Janus microcar.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Zündapp ZD20 1977

In 1958 the company moved from Nuremberg to Munich. Subsequently, the company developed several new smaller models, discontinued the development of four-stroke engines and only produced two-stroke models. Initially, Zündapp scooters and mopeds sold well, but later sales declined and in 1984 the company went bankrupt and closed.
    After the bankruptcy, the entire production line and intellectual properties was bought by Xunda Motor Co., Tianjin, China. They produced small Zündapp motorcycles from 1987 till early 1990s. Xunda is still in business, but makes Honda based 4-stroke motorcycles and electric mopeds. <SUP id=cite_ref-2 class=reference>[3]</SUP>
    Zündapp also had a technical collaboration with Enfield India to build mopeds and motorcycles. A dedicated factory was built at Ranipet near Chennai in early 1980&#8217;s to manufacture small, lightweight two stroke motorcycles to be offered along with their flagship Royal Enfield Bullet. Enfield launched two 50cc motorcycles first,the step- thru Silver Plus and the 3-speed Explorer motorcycle. Later, 175cc Enfield Fury (based on Zündapp KS175) was introduced as a performance motorcycle. It had 5-speed gearbox, a hydraulic Brembo disc brake and a sleeveless hard chromed cylinder barrel, all were a first on a motorcycle in that country.
  9. jellycow

jellycow out there without a clue, now on a '99 640 AVD

Oddometer:
    Gear box? Fear box!
  10. Paul Mihalka

Paul Mihalka Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Interesting information and collection of pictures. I remember some of them.
    "This one appears to be a twin port 2 cycle single...hand shifted" This bike is a DKW, not a Zündapp.
  11. bmwhacker

Oddometer:
    Oh ya, it is a DKW. The emblem had me thinkin Zundapp but i see it is different. Thanks.
  12. scottyb

scottyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    here's my 53. interesting bikes with a great history. check with James aka the Zundapp Fool for spares.

[​IMG]
  13. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
    Zündapp's are somehow cool, the "elefants":

[​IMG]

I like the trials conversions a lot:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tje trials conversions are all selfmade, mostly by the rider itself.
  14. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Gearbox? Looks more like a chain gang... :)

Never have seen a Zundapp boxer. In the '60's a couple of friends had Zundapp two-strokes. Memorable because the bike's name sounded like the bike: "zun-zun-dap-dap-dap-dap" .

:D
  15. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    If I was a rich guy, I'd already have a few.

I know of a warehouse full of old bikes, including Zundapp's and BMW's and....
  16. darmst6829

darmst6829 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Geez, clean the tank and carbs and it will run.... crank the Hank and crack the Jack.
  17. beys

beys Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right, but he was close:D:

Zündapp DB 200

[​IMG]

K 500

When we were kids back in the 70s, we were allowed to ride small mopeds limited to 15mph, so those Zündapp were the most wanted

[​IMG]

because it was possible to fit the 6hp-cylinder of that one

[​IMG]

and with changed carb, exhaust and gearing it ran up to 60mph

...luckily never had trouble with law enforcement...:D

greets beys
  18. nsu max

nsu max Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's funny, We use to call them zun-dum-dum-dum back in the late 50's.
  20. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a Rickman 125 with the Zundapp 2 stroke single. When I got it it wouldn't run. I sorted that out and it ran strong but, You picked a gear and stayed in it because it would not shift.
    There was a locater peg that had been busted out of the cases that was supposed to prevent the shifting ratchet from rotating.I tried J.B. weld and it lasted for about two shifts.
    The thing is when you had it in first it would pull the front wheel just rolling the throttle.
    I sold it and got my money back but now wish I still had it.