2013 RMAR New Mexico 'Quien Sabe' 600

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Big_John, Mar 6, 2013.

1. _Magoo_

_Magoo_ master of disaster....

Oddometer:
    still space left......here's the link to the story regarding the Quien Sabe 600 ride, and you can click on the "donate" tab on the left side of the page to make a Silver level donation and reserve your spot on the ride!

http://www.rmariders.org/new-mexico-quien-sabe-600.html
  2. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    Hoooray!!!!

Our first registrations are starting to come in.....

Join us in Northern NM this year!!!!!
  3. tilliejacques

tilliejacques gnarly girl Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    For many reasons, we won't be able to make this ride, but I'm curious as to the requirement for bikes > 600cc? I don't mean at all to start anything negative about the ride because I applaud :clapwhat hard work RMAR puts in on these routes and rides! I'm just wondering.

I'm too noob and slow (ok there are two of the five reasons:D) for a ride like this but it sure looks like a blast for nmtrialsguy and I to try pieces of on our own sometime in our own backyard! But I have a CRF250L so its engine is too little--so even if I were a good, fast rider, I wouldn't be able to keep up with the big bikes, is that it?? I just would like to understand for the possibility of future rides (although I imagine this ride'll be full from repeat riders for the future :cry).

On the other hand, the 250L *is* over 300 lbs, so maybe there's a loophole? :dunno :lol3

cheers
  4. Big_John

Oddometer:

We are expecting some of the big boys: BMW 1200 GSA, Tiger 1200, etc.... The pace and the route will be built for these riders. Guys on lighter bikes that are faster offroad....lcould be bored, so we are trying to set the right expectations.

Of course we would take someone on a lighter bike and little bike, as long as this is understood.

5. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:

I have done this ride so far on:

DR650, KTM530EXC, 06HuskyTE610, KLR650.

Some of our riders have done this ride on a Yamaha XT225. Out of all the bikes taken on this ride I was most
    comfortable on the KLR. :lol3 Wished I had the 530 in some sections, and the Husky in others. :D
    Was trying to find that button that would convert the bike as I was riding but not there. :cry

This is a great ride that is suitable for all types of bikes, and skill levels. A little more challenging on a bigger
    heavier bike, but nothing real difficult. I could take my wife as pillion on this ride.

Glad to see people signing up. Looking forward to this ride. :clap
  6. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:
  7. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:
    Another photo teaser. :D Taken near the Cruces Basin Wilderness, 2008.

[​IMG]
  8. tilliejacques

tilliejacques gnarly girl Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Thank you, Big John and DirtDad, for 'splaining! Makes sense now.

Maybe next year, calendar and more experience willing, we'll try for it --if there are actually any openings that is!

cheers
  9. _Magoo_

Oddometer:
    We're going to do a preliminary ride up to the Jemez mountains tomorrow, start doing some ride route planning for the Quien Sabe.....(our Northern New Mexico ride guru Dion aka: DirtDad is going to give us some route ideas.....should be a fun day of riding!) :ricky
  10. Big_John

Oddometer:

Burque.....how was the ride?
  11. _Magoo_

Oddometer:
    It was a great ride, 11 of us rode from Bernalillo north through the pueblos to Cochiti Lake, took the Dome road over to the Valles Caldera National Preserve, over to Cuba, NM for lunch, then back down through the Jemez to Rio Rancho & Albuquerque. (just over 200 miles)

Here's a link to the ride report with video/pics:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881745

(We'll definitely be riding through the north section of the Jemez mountains from the Buffalo Thunder resort when we start the Quien Sabe ride)--

Another pre-ride is slated for next Sunday, May 19th.....
  12. Big_John

Oddometer:
    This ride is going to ROCK....I am really looking forward to it.

Northern New Mexico is so beautiful and so diverse.

Get here soon....Mr. September!!!!

13. _Magoo_

Oddometer:
  14. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Rocky Mountain Fires......

Mighty Rendezvous Crew!

I have received a handful of PM's and emails, expressing concerns about the fires that are burning in the Rocky Mountains and if they will affect the 2013 RMAR Events and Rides.

While I cannot say, without a shadow of a doubt, we will not be affected, I can say that we are agile.

Remember back in 2011, when the 2nd Annual RMAR Rendezvous was scheduled for Sipapu, New Mexico and the fire restrictions forced us to move the event, only 24 days prior. Yes, it was a HUGE effort, but we pulled it off and ended up with a phenomenal Rendezvous, with about 150 riders attending, based out of Saguache, Colorado.

But, if there were an area that I would express little concern over, it is Silverton, Colorado in the San Juan Mountains. It is more likely that we will have to deal with afternoon showers and some wetness.....rather than fires, by the 3rd week in July. The monsoon will have kicked into full force.

You should also know that we have great flexibility in the Point to Point Routes, such as the QS600. In the spirit of true adventure riding, we will go where we can and detour when we must. PtP routes are usually finalized within 2 weeks of the ride, adjusting for current conditions.

So what am I saying.....??? I am saying, don't worry, as we have it covered and we will keep you updated.

15. _Magoo_

Oddometer:
    Just to update, we'll be posting up the tentative ride route in the next week; from the start point at Buffalo Thunder, will probably head west into the Jemez, then north towards Chama, over into the Carson NF thru the Sipapu area, then on over to Taos area, up into southern Colorado, then back down thru the Carson & Santa Fe NFs........

Dirt Dad was up in the Chama area last week, and I need to catch up with him for some more ride route planning, will update soon---:ricky
  16. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a NMOHVA board member, I should join in on the ride and provide some cool video footage of ordeal.

I'm registerd. Weeeeeeeeee
  17. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:
    oh yeah.....John,

I started thinking about what you said concerning the Cam1k and some cold nights. Being that I'm a Desert Rat from AZ, I decided that I better get a good sleeping bag.

Came across a great deal on a Kelty Coromell 0* sleeping bag with 550 Down fill. This should do the trick.....I hope.

[​IMG]

I'll probably bring a silk liner, just in case, just to be extra snuggly.... :D
  18. Big_John

Oddometer:

Yeah, I have a marmot down bag.......and a trick I learned from my Dad......double over and sew up a queen sized sheet to stuff inside. Awesome as long as the bag doesn't get wet.

We just had another registration for this ride......and I am told that Wolfman and Kawasaki are sending riders. It is shaping up to have really good attendance.

Still room left......

19. McFoil

McFoil Filthy Pig

Oddometer:
    OK, made my donation. Am I now registered for the ride or is there a step 2 that I didn't see on the page?
  20. Big_John

Oddometer:

Not a second step. Just expect an email with more info in the next few weeks.