Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    no....it didn't squeal from new - wasn't until I had between 9,000 and 11,000 miles on it (well after our long trip) that it started happening very occasionally.
    It was not an every day thing, only on cold day startups or after it sat a couple hours in cool weather.
    I remember pulling away from the vintage museum (Feb '13) and it let out a loud squawk (Ian heard that one :lol3).

You got it around 12,600 miles, not long after that - was probably starting to do it more frequently by then.

Like you though....I've always thought dry clutches have character - love their rattle and the cold squeak didn't happen once warmed up.
  2. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    Mine squealed from new when it was cold. Not really an "issue" for me.
  3. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! You really couldn't have picked a better place to buy it from. Dave Richardson and his group are the best. Dave literally wrote the book on Guzzi's.

The Seattle Guzzi group are an awesome bunch as well and very active. You should really get yourself to one of their breakfasts and introduce yourself. They're a great bunch.

Best of luck with your new baby.

*edit* just saw that you're in Reno. Good choice on the dealer anyway. :) Dave prepped our bikes for a trip up to Alaska a couple of years ago. Great guy.

Doug
  4. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    FWIW, Guzzi's have never really had any issues with heat that I'm aware of. Even my 1970 sitting in traffic on a 100 degree fahrenheit day rarely gets hotter than 120c.

I have friends in Australia who routinely ride in 130 degree heat and have never heard of any of them having issues either.

I think the new 8v Norge has a fan on the oil cooler though, probably because of all the fairing. I think that's the first time Guzzi has used a fan on any of their bikes.
  5. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    DOH I guess I meant new to me and yes only when cold. :lol3 I will have to say the Stelvio is one of the best, if not the best bike I have ever owned.

All of you new purchasers out there congratulations. :clap

Marc
  6. rdbandkab

rdbandkab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ready for a trip (please Mother Nature???!!!)

....checked my mode (1) and (2) ave mpg reading. 48

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    North6633, you mention relocating the aux lights. Whatever you do, you should install fuzes in each aux light circuit. Kirb has an inexpensive plug-and-play kit. The only other mod to consider is to upgrade the locks on the hard bags. Twisted Throttle sells the improved lock sets and they drop right in. You will find the stock locks to be difficult to use on a good day and once they have had some time on the road they only get worse.

Peter Y.
  8. rdbandkab

Oddometer:
    Took the plastic starter cover off...at least I tried to. Top cover bolt had a funny feeling....like something was stuck to it. Turns out while removing the starter cover bolt, it brought the ground strap threaded hex standoff with it. Torqued both ground strap standoffs back in nice and snug. Two more bolts to check.
  9. Avner

Avner Not noob anymore

Oddometer:
    When I got my used 2011 Stelvio at Winchester Motorsports (Carl) it came without the starter cover and I prefer it like this. This way when it doesn't start I have easy access to shorting the starter solenoid with the red cable in the photo. Every time I drop the bike it needs to be upright for about 10 minutes before it will start again by pushing on the starter button, so I use the cable to bypass the "tilt sensor" so I don't have to wait. I haven't had the time to research it more than searching all of the posts here and at the Wild G forums, so I'll ask here: Does anyone know where the "tilt" sensor is that is responsible for shutting down the motor when the bike is on it's side?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    I don't have a good answer to that, except that my 2012 stays running even when fully inverted. :scratch

I did remove the charcoal canister and associated plumbing, and I think there was something tilt-related in that (maybe a solenoid to close the vent?) but that was after the inverted incident anyways.
  11. Avner

Avner Not noob anymore

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply James Adams. I layed the bike down numerous times on both sides and usually at low speeds and many times with the rear wheel free to spin, so it was stalling by something other than choking. On another note - is anyone interested in a used Stelvio, never off-road and never down? :deal.
    Just kidding - I love this bike so much and it is a keeper with all of it's quirkiness.
  12. Lucidor

Lucidor Beasty Boy

Oddometer:
    I am the happy owner of a green (=fast) Moto Guzzi Stevlio NTX 2012, bought new last July. This summer I will go on my first tour on the Guzzi with a buddy on a Honda. The plan is to leave Sweden by ferry for Poland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Austria, Slovenia, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, and finally Denmark before getting back home. Scenic roads and historical places are in the plan. I hope to do a ride report in case of success.

Since this is a new bike to me, I was wondering what tools and equipment I should bring along for the trip. I am not the most skillful mechanic in the world, but I do not intend to get stranded because of simple mechanical or electrical failures. It is my first bike with tubless tires, so obviosly I will bring a tire repair kit and a compressor. But what else? Just a cell phone, some fuses, and a loaded credit card?
  13. Chuck in Indiana

Chuck in Indiana Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lucidor,

First, I certainly envy you for the wonderful trip you have planned. I hope it turns out great.

Second, to answer your question, your bike is an NTX, so it probably has everything we have except the US OEM mirrors/turn signals. I would certainly add fuses to your running lights and consider changing out the OEM lights (Hella) for something more dependable. I've also changed out the locksets in my Trax rear cases, but I don't know what your bike has.

Third, my tool set for the road would only be adequate for minor repairs, so I'm not a good source for that information.

Ride safe and have a great time.
  14. Existence_Inc

Existence_Inc The Wanderer

Oddometer:
    You Stelvio owners are making me jealous. :freaky

~Ex
  15. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    I would make sure you have a #2 phillips screwdriver (for battery access) and a few different sizes of allen wrenches so that you can tighten the bodywork and frame bolts as well as the various fill and drain plugs on the engine, transmission, and final drive.
  16. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Lots of good info in this thread, although more geared to heading off into the boonies than a road trip. Several really good tools to carry mentioned though.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262998
  17. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    It sounds like an awesome trip.

Going back through the thread there was some discussion of critical tools starting on page 348, see JA's post #5214 and follow for a few pages.

I made a simple flat socket driver to use with the typical Japanese MC extension handle and purchased a 13mm std socket (for the calipers), a 17mm deep socket (rear lug nuts) and a 30mm socket (front axle nut) which I turned down on a lathe to make it shorter. See page 378 post #5656

[​IMG]

I also made a set of alignment studs which helps a great deal for removing/installing the rear wheel. This can be seen on page 386 post #5778 where I give the dimensions of the studs.

[​IMG]

I feel it's critical to be able to pull both wheels and you can't do that with the OEM tool kit. On our trip to Colorado I ended up needing to pull both wheels to replace damaged tires. The damage were slices that could not be repaired by a plug. The shop I went to in Denver required you bring in the wheel off the bike to change the tire so I was REALLY happy I'd gone to the effort to make/bring the tools.

Another thing you might want to check is setting the security code. The discussion can be read starting on page 351 post #5265 and continues on the following page.

From the post;

A few weeks ago after washing my 013 NTX, it wouldn't start. It failed to recognize the key and wanted to know the security code. I grabbed the other key, stuck it in and the bike did recognize that key. I then removed it and inserted the origional key, still no dice so I tried the second key again and now the bike didn't recognize it either!

I didn't know the security code and it was too late in the afternoon to call the dealership a get the code so I wheeled it into the garage for the night. A few hours later I went out and checked to see if it would work after some drying time and all was well, both keys worked.:d

This did prompt me to enter my own security code so if this happens again and I'm on the road somewhere I won't be stranded.
    chief 06 and davyjones like this.
  18. Mondo Endo

Mondo Endo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like those bags and top box. They look narrower than the stock bags and have got to be easier to get a leg over than the stockers and much more aerodynamic. Did you buy the bike with those or get them later. Do they use the stock mounts? Thanks, Jim
  19. rdbandkab

Oddometer:
    We had the trunk on our Breva. I think it's a GIVI 35 liter case. We ordered the GIVI e41 side cases after we got the bike. The e41 cases are 41 liters with a trick upper opening.

[​IMG]

I think the Trax boxes were about 37 liters??? (not sure) So these 41's are a little larger.
    I had to order a $26 accessory adapter kit ( KFT.00.152.205) so that the EVO rack would accept the GIVI cases. Installing the accessorie kit is painless.....you remove the 4 larger aluminum bungs frm the rack and replace the bottom 2 with smaller bungs from the kit and then add a little latch piece for the locking mechanism on the top middle of the rack.
    davyjones likes this.
  20. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's pretty slick. I like the semi top opening. I'm done with side opening bags, all your stuff falls out every time you open them.

The stock Trax boxes are 37 liters and not terribly aerodynamic. If they hadn't come with the bike I'd have used something else. I wish you had the option to buy the bike w/o luggage.

I had a nice set of Happy Trails pannier boxes I'd have rather used, but oh well. The Trax panniers get the job done but they seem on the flimsy side. I do want to buy a set of the upgraded lock cylinders though....... grrrr.