ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 09-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #136
Torquer
Hey, watch this.....

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
The reason we take our GSes over terrain like that is because we like to and we can.

And, because we don't have another bike. I've gone to Alaska and back on my GSA as well as the UTBDR and COBDR camping all the way. It is what works for us. It is nice to go 90 and not have to trailer long distances. Also nice to be able to ride stuff people think we can't ride.

TKC or Heidenau work fine
I hear what your saying. Just looks like a tough bike to hassel with when the going gets tough. If it works and you are man enough to handle that beast then by all means go ahead. The GS bikes are for sure one of the most popular and well made bikes. I just can't get over the price tag of them. I mean, yeah they are worth the money for sure, and you are getting a lot of nice stuff, style and power etc. I'd love to ride road and light trails with one. I just can't imagine feeling confident on the hairy tight, or slippery areas. Looks like we aren't far away from each other. I am in KY. I plan on doing the KAT next year.
A human should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give/take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze problems, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert Heinlein
Torquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #137
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquer View Post
I hear what your saying. Just looks like a tough bike to hassel with when the going gets tough. If it works and you are man enough to handle that beast then by all means go ahead. The GS bikes are for sure one of the most popular and well made bikes. I just can't get over the price tag of them. I mean, yeah they are worth the money for sure, and you are getting a lot of nice stuff, style and power etc. I'd love to ride road and light trails with one. I just can't imagine feeling confident on the hairy tight, or slippery areas. Looks like we aren't far away from each other. I am in KY. I plan on doing the KAT next year.
All good Torquer. The price tag on a GS isn't bad if you came from a Harley (which all of us did). Apples to apples, they are downright cheap. They certainly aren't for everyone AND they are definitely harder on hairy and thin trails. Generally, intense single track doesn't interest me anyway.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:30 PM   #138
Britome
Get Free

The Kentucky Adventure Tour (KAT)

We only did 3 full days and had to head back. There is way way more to explore and we are already planning a return voyage. Here's some remaining miscellaneous pics...

Britome screwed with this post 09-29-2014 at 06:32 PM Reason: photo ad
Old 09-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #139
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
Case in point.... This is as pretty of a stream crossing that you will find anywhere.
Looks familiar.

Come on down & ride more often. Stay longer and bring more friends.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #140
Sharperider
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Britome, I said hi when you guys were having lunch at the Cumberland Inn in Williamsburg. You've posted some cool pics. Looks like you had a blast!
You've seen places I've never seen and I live here. We'd be glad to have you back. I just got back from a night ride down to Cumberland Falls. This is such a great area to ride.

Sharperider screwed with this post 09-29-2014 at 07:50 PM
Sharperider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:11 AM   #141
Jeff@TheQuadShop OP
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,599
I see you found the cave!
Great pics, I'm glad you had a good time!
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:51 AM   #142
jacoba331
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
This ride was unbelievable... we hit twisties, gravel, dirt, steps, mud, water crossings, logs and even sand! This route will definitely be done multiple times over the next couple of years by the Cincinnati ADV riders.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #143
Jeff@TheQuadShop OP
TAT survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Thanks a million Eakins!!!
Old 09-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #144
Jeff@TheQuadShop OP
TAT survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoba331 View Post
This ride was unbelievable... we hit twisties, gravel, dirt, steps, mud, water crossings, logs and even sand! This route will definitely be done multiple times over the next couple of years by the Cincinnati ADV riders.
Glad you enjoyed it Jacoba331. I've raced and ridden all over the US and I still think eastern KY has some of the best riding and scenery there is!
Old Yesterday, 06:52 AM   #145
jacoba331
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop View Post
Glad you enjoyed it Jacoba331. I've raced and ridden all over the US and I still think eastern KY has some of the best riding and scenery there is!
I completely agree.. thank you so much for putting this together for all us strangers to enjoy! amazing!
Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM   #146
rmz951
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop View Post
How was your ride? Did you get any pics?
Sorry I haven't been on here in awhile but we had a blast. We rode from berea ky over to Stanton and around to Harlan where we had to head back home. Man that's some great scenery on the east side now were planning on riding to Harlan and doing the west part of the ride sometime this month. We didn't get many pics because we don't really stop much but I will post the few that I do have when I get them uploaded.
rmz951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:19 AM   #147
aschlem225
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Kentucky Adventure Trial

Rode some of the trail this past week. Awesome would be an understatement. It's the best riding this side of the Colorado Backcountry Adventure Route. Many thanks. I'll (We'll) be doing the rest. I'm the old guy in the pics just posted. Thanks again!
aschlem225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM   #148
RRbiker
n00b

Oddometer: 2
KAT rocks!!

Jeff:

You put together an amazing ride! I can't thank you enough. I'm one of the Cincy riders who just ran the trail, and I cannot wait to go back down later this Fall. I was blown away by the caliber of the off-roading, and absolutely loved all the twisty roads. May be the best riding the Midwest has to offer.

Thanks again for all your hard work. You are THE MAN!

RR
RRbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM   #149
Jeff@TheQuadShop OP
TAT survivor

WOW, thanks for the compliments!
Did you guys ride the section west of Jellico to Picket State park then back to Williamsburg? I'm debating on if I should keep that section as part of the KAT.
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM   #150
Britome
Get Free

Yes. That was our last section. The twisties and the rough mining area was one of our favorite. We decided to bypass the "lost road"