Baltimore recent history: was there a jail here?

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by tedder, Aug 28, 2008.

1. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    I was in Baltimore around 98-99. I remember a jail being about here. Am I making it up, or was there one there at one time? What was the name of it and stuff?

While we are at it, just south of there (a block or two north of Pratt) were some ultra-scary high-rise projects. What were they named? When were they torn down?
  2. OnOff

OnOff Long timer

Oddometer:

Still bad boys at that jail. Baltimore is a lovely town with beautiful single track riding.
    [​IMG]
    As for the projects, that would be pretty much all of Baltimore :deal :eek1 :lol3
  3. mtd679

mtd679 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're a little too far Southeast. The jail is a little Northwest from there bordering the Jones Falls Expressway to the West and E. Eager to the North and E. Madison to the South. Not even a nice place for a short visit.

If I remember correctly just to the East of the jail was (one of) the high rise projects that was in Baltimore, and I'm pretty sure just West of where you've indicated was another high rise project where you can now see "New Hope Circle". I can't remember when, but probably shortly after you last visit to Baltimore was when they were demo'd.

It's just like Baltimore, and Maryland government for that matter, to remove one type of public housing just to build a "new and improved" type of public housing, and expect it not to end up like (see photo above)... New single-track for the youths of Baltimore to ride their STOLEN bikes, and have the police do absolutely nothing about it. :clap
  4. mica

mica Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is 'supervised' center operated by the jail system at 1105 E. fayette.

Jail
  5. FILLETI

FILLETI mild asphalt allergy

Oddometer:
    Milwaukee = Beer, Cheese, Cold, Slow Bikes
    You Guys are makin me all misty. I miss my boyhood home.......:lol3
  6. RBrider

RBrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I remember taking the Greyhound bus from US 1 in Howard Co in to the terminal on Howard St and walking to the movies at the Hippodrome. Try letting your 13 yr old try that today. It was definitely a different time and place!!

Before the Inner Harbor rehab was done, there was this "biker bar' (Elmer's, I think), at the corner of Pratt & Light Sts. I used to see bikes lined up there all the time when I would drive past.

My brother came home for a visit, and wanted to go out for a beer, so I said let's try out Elmer's. When we pulled up, the Harley's were lined up along the curb.
    We didn't look around too much, just went in and sat down. While we were waiting for our beer, we started noticing the other "patrons".

Turns out, the place was a full on lesbian biker bar! Like the hayseeds we were (and still are), we got the hell oughta there and back out in the county where we belonged.:lol3

Sorry for the hi jack, us oldtimer's always got a story to tell.

RB
  7. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The high rise projects were torn down five or six years ago. Now it is all single family and town houses. And there are still plenty of "bikers" at the Inner Harbor. Only now they are all posers on blinged out Harleys stopping for a beer on the way to the H-D shop to buy more billet crap. :1drink

And for no good reason other than it was my last project in Baltimore, under the heading of "its a tough job but somebody has to do it":

[​IMG]

In case you ever wonder how Google Earth aerial photography is so accurate, now you know. Some poor sap carried a ridiculously accurate GPS receiver all over the place to map targets. That location was fun. But not as fun as trying to concentrate on your work in front of a burned out rowhouse in Park Heights with kids doing curbside business next to you. No pictures there - I'm not that stupid.