4/3 vs dslr

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by 4power, May 21, 2011.

1. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    Alternatively, instead of a few paid professional reviewers, some may prefer the BandH photo reviewing method of verifying user reviewers whom at least have bought the item and used it!! Once the reviews stretch beyond the low numbers, the real user based 'picture' starts to emerge on photo items. EG for a Panny LX5 after 334 reviews....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...il&Q=&sku=723288&is=REG&si=rev#costumerReview

Abbreviates to :

Pros
    Good image quality (305)
    Good in low light (254)
    Easy to use (246)
    Image stabilization (227)
    Large clear LCD (223)

etc etc
  2. brentde3

brentde3 Should be outside

Oddometer:
    I'd like to bump this thread with a question, if I may:

I'm in the market for a new camera, having just found some extra scratch :clap, and I'm at a loss. I have an E-PL1, which I love, and I had a Rebel XTi, which I loved. Both are awesome, but both are relatively old. I'm now drooling over two different cameras: A Nikon d7000 and the new OM-d EM5. They're the same price :huh.

For the PL1, I've got the 20mm 1.7 and the kit lens. I don't have Nikon anything, unfortunately, but I've been super impressed with my sister's d7000. What would you guys do, if you had the cash? (Part of me just wants to buy a ton of lenses, but a new body beckons...)

I'm also interested in both of those camera's "weather sealing," given that I've started doing a lot of hiking/camping, and my E-PL1 has nearly met it's maker several times in the rain...
  3. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    If you had lenses for one system or the other, I'd tilt that way. You do have the 20/1.7 Panny and that's a great little lens, so definitely a good start should you decide to tilt the µ4/3 route, which I really like because of the what I consider to be great balance between size and features of a larger DSLR system. But since you do only have the one lens, you're not going to be out much either way and are starting with very close to a clean slate. I've not used either camera that you mention, but have read good things about the new OM-D. I had a E-P2 which I gave to my son, and currently use a GH2 which I think is a great camera.......but am hoping that the GH3 will be coming along in the not-too-distant future.
  4. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was a guy on the m4/3 forums that posted some interesting shots... Here it is...He shoots Nikon & Olympus. His stuff:

http://bitmatt.com/index.html

He sounded pretty sold on the e-m5's weather sealing.

http://www.mu-43.com/f42/hardcore-weather-sealing-test-e-m5-12-50-lens-24755/

[​IMG]

Personally, the only thing stopping me from pulling that trigger is that I'm pretty happy with my constant f/2 4/3 lenses, so I figured I'd wait till there's some other lenses to choose from. Otherwise...that OM-D is pretty friggin sweet.
  5. brentde3

brentde3 Should be outside

Oddometer:
  6. HardCase

Oddometer:
    I do think that the µ4/3 format is here to stay, for a while at least. There is now some really great glass available. The Panasonic 7-14/f4 is the best zoom IMHO, an amazing UWA lens. Some great primes are available now too, the Panasonic/Leica 25/f1.4, the Oly 45/f1.8 and, I suspect, the 75/f1.8 coming along soon. The little 20/f1.7, which I have, is a good one too, but I am really tempted by the 25/1.4 even though it's bigger, heavier, and more expensive than the 20. I've just been reading some great reviews and am seriously tempted.
  7. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    dslr :devildog
  8. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm a fan of the 25 f/1.4. I don't aim for pocketable, personally. I'm ok w/ my camera on a spider holster, or split into lens & body, separately. So, a 25 f/1.4 is still quite portable for me, and as a standard prime, it's really a good combo w/ the 4/3 system the m4/3 variant...even more portable! My sis is the one using my 20 f/1.7. I keep the 25 f/1.4 for myself!

[​IMG]
  9. HardCase

Oddometer:
    Time to bump this thread back up. I finally broke down and ordered the 25/1.4 lens.....don't have it yet, it'll get here next week. I realize it's pretty close to the 20/1.7, but think it'll replicate the standard 50mm lens from my SLR/film days a little better. I've been enjoying my couple of primes a lot lately, especially the 45/1.8 but also the 20/1.7, and thought I'd add this one. That 75/1.8 is an interesting lens too, but a little more money than I care to spend and I'm not sure how much I'd use that focal length.
  10. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    we're about to get a slew of new models to drool over. Just a few days from now, the announcements are scheduled.

If'n when I switch over, I will be getting the 75 1.8 and the 25 1.4 like at the same time as the body. Enjoy playing with it, when it comes!
  11. HardCase

Oddometer:
    Cool! New stuff! What's coming, I haven't been paying attention? :ear
  12. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually don't think it'll be an earth shattering year this year. Unless you're doing video; the new GH2 successor is out--the GH3. It's apparently got a (better) alternative to AVCHD, which is nice in several ways.
  13. HardCase

Oddometer:
    I have a GH2 and generally like it. Not a big video guy but do a little bit of it, and have found the 2 to be very capable. I was interested in what the GH3 would bring to the table. My biggest beef with the 2 has been somewhat murky jpegs, and crappy AF when dealing with action situations, kids running around, sports, moving vehicles, etc. I did a quick look and don't see a lot of information, no hands-on reviews, but I imagine that'll be coming along in due course. I'm hoping that Panasonic fixed the jpeg engine and the AF capabilities; if so, I'll buy one, and if not, I'll probably pass.
  14. HardCase

Oddometer:
    The Panasonic/Leica 25/f1.4 just arrived FedEx! :clap

I like it. I put it on the camera and took a couple of test shots. I am at work so don't have time to do a lot of fiddling right now, but this is a great focal-length IMHO. I know that a lot of serious photographers tend to diss the old 50-55 full-frame equivalent, but it's what I grew up on so I'm pretty comfortable with it.

I have accumulated a nice selection of µ4/3 lenses since I started using the format a little over 2 years ago and confess that at times I find it tough to decide what lens to have on-board at a given time/situation, so have for the past year tended to default to the excellent Panny 14-140 zoom. That lens is hard to beat for versatility, but I have recently found myself liking my primes better, the P 20/1.7 and the Oly 45/1.8, find I get better clarity and the single focal-length forces me to be a little more thoughtful and creative in composing or 'finding' a given shot, so I'm thinking this new 25 may spend a lot of time on the camera in the months ahead.
  15. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    The one I would go for is the 12 F2 :tb
  16. HardCase

Oddometer:
    I read some stuff on dpreview about that one......I think that's where I read it.....which wasn't entirely positive. They said that the Panasonic 7-14 was better at 12 than the 12 in terms of IQ. Of course the zoom is an f4 across its range, and the prime is a lot more compact.

I'm interested in the 75/f1.8.
  17. xellic

xellic .

Oddometer:
    Recently picked up an Olympus OMD EM5 to replace a Panny G3
    I never really got on with the cheap plasticky G3
    The OMD is a nice upgrade

Taken with the Pan 20mm
    [​IMG]

Taken with the Pan 7-14mm
    [​IMG]
  18. xellic

xellic .

Oddometer:
    Today I picked up the Olympus 75mm

[​IMG]

I'm still getting used to it but here's a shot

[​IMG]
  19. xellic

xellic .

Oddometer:
    I also picked up this little marvel of a Tripod
    Only weighs a bit over a pound and folds up small

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Camera plus 3 lenses and a tripod can fit in a tank bag
  20. Bongolia

Bongolia stop acting

Oddometer:
    Great photography Xelic. Do you have a gallery on line?