Flat Rear Tire

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by LaPorte, Oct 8, 2012.

1. LaPorte

LaPorte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got my second flat rear tire in 11,000 miles and as before re-installing the wheel is a PITA. Almost impossible to do by your self, especiallly if you're in some back road area in the dirt. Both times the only way to get the wheel on was to remove one brake pad and limp home with just the front brake. Found out that on my rear caliper, the floating pins that compensate for pad ware were rusty and made adjusting the caliper to fit the rotor very difficult. Spent some time this morning oiling them to get them sliding smooth.
    Still mounting that wheel by yourself is a big PITA. Anyone have a tip on how this is done to make it easier for one person to mount the wheel?
    I can get the wheel off, change the tube, air it up, but getting it back on it's a %^&*$< *&^%#) in the ass. Not enough arms and hands.

LaPorte
  2. 3Rrr

3Rrr Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer:
    I've had my rear wheel off numerous times. One thing I do is spread the pads apart with the tire iron. This makes the install quicker. To be honest I don't remember having an issue getting the wheel on.

Typically, I sit on the ground and prop the wheel up with my legs to align the axle hole. Hope this is the missing piece that makes it easy in the field, or garage.
  3. LaPorte

LaPorte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. guzzimike

guzzimike Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're definitely doing something wrong.
    You do have to keep the wheel pretty straight as it goes in, or the RH (sprocket side) spacer catches on the swing arm and comes out.
    Should take about 30 sec.
    Do it a few times as practice and I'm sure it will come to you.
  5. TheCowboy

TheCowboy back in the saddle again

Oddometer:
    I have changed my rear tire by myself at least 10 times. The hard part is to get the right side spacer up and into the swing arm. First off, I have happy Trail aluminum panniers... So I just lay the bike down on its right side, the wheel is totally accessible and have at it. The trick to getting the rotor back between the pads is to force the brake puck back up in the caliper using a tire iron, then you got plenty of room. I've really had no problems. Good luck.

TheCowboy
  6. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    One other trick for the brake pads is to push on the side of the caliper before removing the wheel. No need to stick anything in between the pads to pry them apart. I did it this way when I changed my rear tire twice on my trip to Alaska.
  7. LaPorte

LaPorte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for your responses.
    The problem I am have is trying to keep the brake caliper still and up tight against the swing arm so i can slide the wheel spaces between the swing arm end/brake caliper and the rotor between the brake pads. I need one hand to hold the brake rotor still and two hands to lift the rear wheel into place. Thats three hands. If somehow the brake rotor could be held in place then it wouldn't be so bad for me.
    I am not new at this, I have been riding for 40+ years and have changed many tires. But this set up is not good. I will figure out something.

Thanks again

LaPorte
  8. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you have ABS it helps a lot to take the ABS speed sensor pickup loose. The rotor wants to hang on it. Other than that the right side spacer is a little bit of a pain but no worse than any other wheel I have changed.

9. shrek2

shrek2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you get a flat on our group ride? saw you leave after lunch.

Dave
  10. LaPorte

LaPorte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave
    Yes I did, How was the rest of your ride? I wanted to go home and watch the 49er game so I left after lunch. Picked up a piece of metal at Uvas Dam on the way home. To make matters worst I didn't have anything to put air back in the tire after I changed the tube. Met some very nice people who gave me a hand. Next day I went to Zoom and picked up a new tube and CO2 bottles and the little dodad to re-inflate the tire. That makes two rear flat's in 11,000 miles on the BMW.

Tony
  11. Scapadu

Scapadu Motomaniac

Oddometer:
    Did you ever try using both hands? :rofl

Honestly i did that several time and even the first one was no problem! There must be a point you are missing!
  12. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    Only time I ever had a problem I had pulled the sprocket carrier out of the rubber hub pieces (bike was new) and it was a PITA to get it seated again.
  13. Mr B

Mr B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    if you need a third hand, get you some safety wire or a zip tie, you can use it to hold "things" were you want them and then simply clip them with a wire cutter when you are done.
    Another little tip, have a bladed thin somewhat long screwdriver handy when you lift the wheel, you can use it to pry the swing arm enough to get the wheel in, works for me..
    good luck,
    and if all else fails.........get a bigger hammer!!
  14. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I feel for you and you are not the only one that finds putting the rear back on can be a real bitch. There have been a cple other discussions on here about it.
    There definitely must be some secret but I haven't found it. On 1 occasion it took 2 f8 owners and a crow bar to get mine back on.
  15. LaPorte

LaPorte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I said I was thinking on how to mount the rear tire. Well I made some heplers. My third hand to hold the caliper in place. Made them out of wood. Three pieces and a long Zip Tie. Just mounted my rear tire alone and did it in under 1 minute. First try. If I new how to post pictures I would post pictures of the tools. Pretty simple when you think about it. Now I am not worried about riding alone and getting a flat on the rear then struggling to re-mount the wheel.:clap

LaPorte
  16. shrek2

shrek2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that Tony, Jeff and I split off from the group and had some fun on San Jose Soquel good Times.

Hope to see ya soon

Dave
  17. ebnelson

ebnelson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only tools you need are the ones to remove the ABS sensors, wrench or socket for the rear axle nut, and wrenches for the slider bolt / lock nut. If the bike is on center stand, it helps to use your legs to hold the rear wheel in position to slide the axle in or out. Same is true for lining up the rear disc to caliper. Of course, you should make sure the brake pad are fully apart first. The wheel can be a pain :becca but a little getting dirty and cussing are all that is required.