Ducati 1098 for long distance?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Z0RR0, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Mr.Goose

Mr.Goose Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer:
    A stock 1098 is one of the most uncomfortable bikes I've ever ridden and the Hyper has no gas range.

My vote's for a GS or a KTM 990 ADV. You'll see more, and stress less.
  2. inyang

inyang 5secs away

Oddometer:
    Yep, why allow a few potholes and bad roads keep you from riding a dream bike:D

Ah, got pics of my multiple day setup (luggage wise).

Attached Files:

3. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    Yep, why allow a few potholes and bad roads keep you from riding a dream bike:D
  4. CAT3

CAT3 Haole Bedouin in Training

Oddometer:
    Old thread, but I ride a 1098 daily and doing 3-600miles a day is not an issue. I'm probably in the middle of the age group, 40 now, and like any bike, you have to alter your riding position a bit to prevent discomfort. I added saddle bags and a tail (tank) bag to the back of mine. As long as theres no ice on the roadway itself, the 1098 would be an awesome scoot for the Alps, maybe not as much for a first timer in the Alps.

With bags mounted:
    [​IMG]
  5. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you were buying the bike I would be worried, but renting is an opportunity to try out something different, have an adventure and make some memories. Then you hand the infernal tool back.
    I would hate to own a 1098 but to rent? Cool.
  6. bostonsr

bostonsr Just weight

Oddometer:
    if the road surface sucks, it's going to be more stressful on a sportbike than a GS or other touring dualsport. this means less fun.

abe
  7. Ultra54

Ultra54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same answer as " bed of nails for sleeping?"
  8. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, this was brought back up. Nice!

The euro trip turned into a Tunisia trip. So the Alps are still on my to-do list, not sure when.

But I did buy a 1098 despite all the "it's too sporty" BS. :lol3 Only managed to sneak 100-ish miles on it before winter hit. Fuel range is a excellent source of funnays. Comfort is much better than I expected, although hard on the legs, somehow.

CAT3, please do share how you mounted those bags. I already had a set of soft bags, and will most likely go the tail bag + soft bags route.
  9. arshishb

arshishb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am going to buy a 1098S real soon & luggage was one of my concerns. There is hope, check out the below thread:

http://www.ducati1098.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7986

What I really despise is the utter disrespect to fuel range, 4.1 gallons? Really Ducati? If the damn thing gave 50-60 mpg it might make sense. Not a power crazed superbike.
  10. sands

sands Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an RC51 and it was very uncomfortable...And I know the 1098 has a more aggressive riding position than the RC (but probably more fun than the RC)....30 minutes and the absence of comfort became very noticeable...An hour then the neck cramps, wrist pressure, and rear end/crotch numbness began to outweigh the fun and I began thinking more about the discomfort more than enjoying riding....And I was fairly young at the time (30) and in decent shape (5'8 155lbs and easily do 20 pull ups on command) so It wasn't like I was having to support a lot of weight.

What you're going to be doing sounds like a lot of fun, perhaps if you can schedule several stops along the way it might be tolerable....But I think it would be even more fun if you could do it comfortably and only stopping when you want to not because you have to....And I'll second the notion by another poster in this thread on their recommendation of a Ducati Multistrada....You're going to have the same motor, maybe not quite as much top end but that same motor with more low end...I sat on one the other day and it has one of the most comfortable riding positions I've ever experienced.
  11. powderhound

powderhound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dunno. The 1098, while a nice motorcycle, is narrowly focused, meaning a track bike with a license plate and turn signals. I sat on a 1198 at the IMS in San Mateo last weekend, and man is it uncomfortable. Me personally, it would be painful after an hour on it. A hoot to ride, but not (for me) on long distances.
  12. inyang

inyang 5secs away

Oddometer:
    I suspect the key to semi comfort on the 1098 is sitting position, if you go with the flow, relax and bend properly and can get to a comfortable speed (where the wind will support your chest and relieve pressure from your wrist), you should be good.
    Gripping the tank area with your knees rather than supporting most of your weight with your wrist works wonders.

I have a 2100km 4 day trip coming up next week and if the rains clear up, I'll probably do it on the Ducati
  13. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Do you ride a sportsbike now? That's only a couple tanks of fuel per day... Not that tough... I'd do it!!! :thumb
  14. Roam

Roam If you want to

Oddometer:
    Me too. 300 miles a day would be a pretty relaxed day with lots of breaks.
  15. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    if your body can take it and you have the will, why not?
  16. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll let you guys know when I can take it out of the living room next spring. :cry
  17. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    You have a whole 100 miles saddle-time on the bike??
  18. DynaSport

DynaSport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys are definitely tougher than me. I rode a sport bike 300 miles one day. It started out as tremendous fun, but by about 150 miles I wasn't smiling as much. By 300 miles I wasn't smiling at all. Now, on a more upright bike I can ride all day. Bent over on a sport bike, however, I can't go that far.
  19. Willi-Jens

Willi-Jens Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure, but the topic is about a tour through the European Alps. At 300 km/day this can mean a full day on the bike (easily 6-7 hours and more pure riding time). Not that I would discount doing it on a sportsbike, but one should be aware of the different distances and average speed possible in this environment.
    It is likely that the tour will be more fun with a mid class bike (you are even likely to be quicker), but I've done it a couple of times on sports & sport touring bikes and it's fun nonetheless.

Do it, but be prepared with a flexible schedule.

Jens
  20. noman

noman Long timer

Oddometer:
    no mention of excessive heat on the riders backside due to underseat exhaust in any american mag reviews i've seen, and none noted here. on my 749, it was terrific. bumped into an 848 rider last summer who complained it too. i looked into adding some underseat foil/insulation mats, but ended up selling it in 3m due to the ergos. the 848 rider is gonna keep his, and try to address the issue somehow. no probs on the 1098?