Mar. 28-31, 2013 Death Valley Noob's Rally

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by nsfw, Nov 15, 2012.

1. ricksca

ricksca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm on the list, Number 92. Beyond that, I'm not at all clear what I'm supposed to do next. I am towing in my DR650 behind a Ford Ranger on a small trailer. I think that makes me a BT3 (not MC3 as listed), but who am I supposed to pay, and when (and how)?
  2. FYYFF

FYYFF Forever young...

Oddometer:
    Hi Rick,

In your first post (#92) you just said "Rick, DR650, tenting" and I assumed you were riding in. I fixed it now. Check the first page for payment info.
  3. almissoula

almissoula Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey I'd love to go, this filled up before I could say 'in'. So does this post count as me saying 'waiting list'? Or do I need to PM someone as well...Thanks and hope to see yall there!

I would be riding in on an R1150GS..
  4. prince_ruben

prince_ruben Long timer

Oddometer:
    Allot of work putting this together. Thanks!
  5. FYYFF

FYYFF Forever young...

Oddometer:
    You are on the waiting list.

New riders, if you are new to AdvRider, off-road riding, Death Valley or to Western Forums please post up here so other riders will get to know you. Tell us about your riding experience, your bike, where you are coming from (maybe you may carpool with other inmates) or give them a ride, etc.
  6. KG6BWS

KG6BWS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those of us who either missed it, or like me just cant plan that far ahead, is this going to be like WARPED where only paid participants can come hang out?? Or is it gonna be a problem remote camping and coming over to hang out/ride with yall??
  7. almissoula

almissoula Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1 tent camping - well I'm standby for now (that means camping at a more exposed site) , if my wife rides her G650GS, then 2 camping. Coming from SF not sure on the route either up over 50 or through Trona.
    I have been riding for 14 years, but only on the pavement. Rode in Indonesia, Mongolia, Old Mexico, NV, UT, AZ, CO, WY, ID, MT Went to more than half of these with MendoDave. Sup Dave too bad you are not making this..
    Last time I was in DV, I had a Nighthawk. Nooooo dirt :cry
    Got the R1150GS over the summer to do more death valley off-pavement and the like.
    I like baseball, warm weather, dirty jokes, whiskey, and ear plugs. Hollar if you'd like to ride out together.
  8. FYYFF

FYYFF Forever young...

Oddometer:
    WOW. Nice introduction. You will have quiet an audience around the fire for your stories. :clap
  9. jarthur

jarthur Old Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    I agree wholeheartedly. The Golden rule is to assure the rider behind you knows there is a turn onto a different road or trail by waiting for that rider at the turn.

The Silver rule is to tell the ride leader or sweeper if you are leaving your group. This is very important because we and perhaps the group will go looking for anyone who is missing. We will not be happy if we learn later you left us after we spent the day searching for you, thinking you had a mechanical, got lost or got injured.
  10. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Larry!
  11. GSequoia

GSequoia I know a few things about radios... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Out of curiousity on a typical ride for weenie--- I mean noobies like me about how many miles are they and how early do you tend to depart (i.e., how much gas do I need in the morning and how much booze should I consume the night before).
  12. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It depends. Check the posted rides for departure times and routes, then check the GPS routes for approximate mileage.

I plan my rides to leave early so I don't have to put up with the riders that are too hungover to ride. Also keep in mind that we will still have pretty short days, so use the daylight wisely.
  13. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:

true, the date is so far far away that many of us could not guarantee we will be there. why don't you add yourself to the waiting list and hope you can make the cut; and the timing is righ. if you end up paying and could not go, you may get a refund or just donate your money.

remote camping and hanging out/ride ....i would like to say no in fairness with those paid and people on the waiting list.

i have a feeling a good 20 - 40 people on the list are just empty chairs.
  14. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1

this is true especially for those who want to join the group rides. this way we will know who you are, what's your interest and skill level.

for instance, those who like to take pictures or just enjoy the sights, you may better off hanging out with others who enjoy the same thing.

don't try to hook up on the morning of the ride, it is going to be crazy....and getting stuck with the wrong group. this is the whole idea of the forum, exchange thoughts and share. avoid surprises.

shame on you calling yourself a noob.....:lol3

thanks for taking the time. love to hear more about your travels.
  15. GSequoia

GSequoia I know a few things about radios... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh alright then...

I don't know shit ;)

I've got very little dirt experience on two wheels and moderate street experience (commute, etc). I know the desert well (although not DV in particular) but from a four wheeled perspective, so I know what to expect from the land at least. My desire is a run that won't stress my heavy pig out too much (i.e., it's not a little dirt bike, I know this, I'm not that hairdresser kid). I'm fairly adventurous but not crazy. While I don't mind a slower pace I'm not looking to stop every forty feet to take pictures.

The machine is an '05 KLR650, it will have proper tires (plan is 606s on both ends if funds work out) and a 14t countershaft gear at minimum. Stock tank so range should be in the neighborhood of 175 - 200 miles (assuming I'm getting shitty mileage).
  16. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    Can I get on the wait list. i person riding in, tent, all days + dinner. Riding R1200GS

thank you
  17. soupknotzee

soupknotzee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I am looking to also get on the wait list.
    Been riding for many years on/offroad but still haven't made it to DV and would like to join in on the fun.

Plan is to head out in my small van (no trailer-just van) and looking to camp in it and be included in all meals and days.

I will be on my WR250R that I have set up with a large fuel tank and various other mods.

Also I would be more than happy to tote in some supplies from Long Beach area.... firewood, ice, etc...

18. fishwhisperer

fishwhisperer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    in the spirit of introducing myself, here's my SECOND click on the odometer, woohoo... :killen

i'm scott, #136, a fish biologist, hence the handle, and maybe can tell stories about catching fish by hand around the campfire. i've been riding dirt for 6 years on a beater cr250 picked up from a buddy. but i've been racing mountain bikes in rediculous endurance races for 20 years (i just got back from a three day mt bike race across costa rica). i'm hooked on mixing in dirt riding to my two wheel time for working on more handling skills, getting where i wanna go a little quicker, and the fact that when you are twisting a throttle, going uphill is as much fun as decending on a mountain bike is. and you don't need to train so hard to get there. i've also done a number of self supported bicycle tours, including rides out to the rockies and much of the continental divide, riding distances that many would think are plenty for a moto tour, well over 1,000 miles. i'm actually considering racing the entire length of the divide from banff to antelope wells next year. i'm inspired to get into adv riding for the same pull that gets me out on my bicycle for over a thousand miles at a time... to travel to amazing places and actually enjoy getting there.

so i got my first adv bike back in the spring of this year from another inmate, slownsteady, before i knew anything about this forum. he passed on a very well cared-for 2007 ktm 640a. since then i've worked on tire changes, set up the bike with a set of mefos and mounted the knobbies on an alternate wheelset for quicker changes, worked on the hydraulic clutch, slightly lowered the ride, acquiring touring gear, mounted side racks, etc. I've been the occaisional commuter, took my first road tour from SF Bay to convict lake with some buddies, and just spent a week riding around Saline Valley over thanksgiving, with my wife in the Tacoma for support. I got up to the racetrack, up steel pass, and explored some of the valley canyons. We even did some two-up rides to day hikes. I'm lobbying her to get inspired to ride her own bike, but we will see about that. i'm resisting the urge to put a DS bike under the xmas tree!

as for the noob rally, i'm heading there to absorb as much as i possibly can from the more experienced adv riders and to get into some places in the valley i haven't gone with my tacoma, like goler wash. i'm interested in figuring out what touring bag setup i'd like to get, backcountry gear, rigging the right gps, spot transceiver, developing a good backcountry tool kit, maybe some lighting farkles, and rejetting for trips to altitude. i need more sand experience and i'm just figuring out how to handle the extra power, torque, and weight of the bike over my cr250. though i've been riding dirt for some time, moves like popping up the front end to clear obstacles is a bit intimidating on bike this heavy bike. i plan on signing up for any ride that will push my limits a bit, providing that's ok with the leaders. i'm assuming getting through dedeckera will be ok but maybe a challenge. and i'm particularly interested in finding the other 640a riders out there to learn about the bike.

i haven't read much about swapping gear at this rally, but it seems to me this would be great place for noobs to pick up some gear from the surplus of the vets: touring clothes, gps, soft luggage, tools, etc. i wonder if there could be a swap meet type of event planned for the rally?

TMI? :huh
  19. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    since I've never met anybody in the group and have signed up for a couple of rides (so far!), thought I should introduce myself. Took the msf course the beginning of Jan. 2012 and bought a Honda Rebel on the way home from the last class day. I put about 4000 miles on the bike and then in July went on a 4200 mile trip through the western states. One of the best trips of my life....:clap. I got addicted to the advrider forum few months ago and started thinking about buying a dual sport. Looked at the klr650 - waaaay toooo big for a dirt noob. After a lot of research I picked up a xt250 about 6 weeks ago (?). Woohoo, total dirt noob! Went down to Anza Borrego for a few days, had a great time and one good dump in the sand. :freaky

Then, and I'm still not sure how it happened, a v-strom adventure ended up in the garage...hmmmm. :rofl:rofl:rofl

Poor Rebel is going up on Craig's List - I'll miss the Wee Beastie, wish I could keep him too, lots of sentimental value! (Why my handle is Little Bike - I'm 5'9" and a little past rubenesque) :lol3
    Anyhoo, in the last year I've gotten in almost 10,000 miles of road riding and really looking forward to adding dirt skills. I'm signed up for Lewis' class the weekend right before the rally. I'll be riding in on my xt250 (after I get a new seat - ) :loll

I teach 8th grade science so I like hanging out with goofy people and have a somewhat warped sense of humor. I don't have any friends that ride, so I've been making new friends through meetup groups. It's funny, my friends that don't ride don't understand why it's funny when you drop a bike or wipe out in the sand. They also don't get why you need to get out the camera :rofl:rofl:rofl

Really looking forward to Death Valley. I've been there many times camping with a 4wd, looking forward to getting a view of the park from the back of my bike (especially Titus Canyon - which a fellow Death Valley friend calls Tight-Ass Canyon)
    Can we have the rally now????? :evil
  20. KaptSlo

KaptSlo In Idaho, never admit you moved from California Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rider 100, Bryan, will not be able to make the ride. Please update the list and give his spot to the next in line.