The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was about to say that is from the site itself BUT it still may be wrong...

It may apply to the 2012 2013 model and not the 2013 2013 model if you get what I am saying :scratch

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search/recalldetail.aspx?lang=eng&rn=2013040
  2. Dallara

Dallara Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer:

Here's the actual Transport Canada description page for the recall:

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur...t=&ls=0&sy=0&rn=2013040&cf=SearchResult&pg=-1

Here's a couple of other pages from there that some may find interesting:

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur...2341&md=R1200GS&fy=2013&ty=2013&ft=&ls=0&sy=0

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur...2341&md=R1200GS&fy=2008&ty=2012&ft=&ls=0&sy=0

I'll still bet this recall is for the new "Water Boxer".

Dallara

`
  3. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I guess I know what you mean. Best is to read the original for yourself:

http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/tc/2013/22751r-eng.php

And not some online editor's guess work around it. This for example is a 2013 air/oil cooled model:

http://www.aspowersports.com/2013-B...=WB1046005DZX53464&unitType=1787&unitBrand=48

So, it's all guess work. And my guess is, it's the old model.
  4. Dallara

Oddometer:

Might want to, once again, read *carefully* the info at that second link you provided... You know, this one:

http://www.aspowersports.com/2013-B...=WB1046005DZX53464&unitType=1787&unitBrand=48

I really like the part on that page where it says the following:

The picture may be of an older model, but the text description is pure new 2013 "Vasser Boxer"...

And so is the price. :lol3

Dallara

~
  5. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Texas, the baseball capital of the universe.
    The LT I owned did wet its clutch early on, otherwise it was pretty reliable. The RT I owned was solid as a rock, the GSA did give me trouble but that was caused by ignorant wrenches at the dealership. But being a bit of a bike whore and always looking for something different I bought a Griso back in the spring and was so impressed by the bike and especially the motor that I sold the GSA and ordered a Stevlio NTX. I'm liking this thing a great deal.
  6. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Whoops. Missed that part - they messed up the whole technical details and description part which is for the new model, but the actual offered model is a 2013 Triple Black - there is no Triple Black of the new model.
  7. Old Git Ray

Old Git Ray Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer:
    UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
    TBH I do not actually know, but here's what I think:

Although I am not currently in a position to look at the bike, as I read the instructions, there are only 5 connections.
    1 to the throttle position sensor. A tap in to the white wire.
    2 to the injectors and
    2 to the O2 sensors.

From this I can only assume that the timing is not altered in any way. IMHO there would need to be an ECU male/female plug to do this (as there is on the Harley Davidson version of the PCV).
  8. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    they about 25k here
  9. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guy I work with rides one of those.....the thing is still fast and not horrible in the corners....
  10. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:

I'll be damned. I'm surprised to hear that.

The drumming, that I feel, definitely feels like a timing issue. And, it appears that, while they didn't get rid of it, they did sort it, a little.

I stared at those graphs, for a long time, yesterday. And, I can tell you that the second speaks volumes (to me).

It appears that the days of perfectionists, like Soichiro Honda and Hirotake Arai, are long gone. I can't imagine any Japanese manufacturer, from those days, allowing a motorcycle to leave the production facility with a torque curve like that: shameful. The engineers of yore woulda' thrown themselves on a sword, before allowing something like that.

It appears that, in a global market, we have even managed to Amercanize the Japanese; "Just get the product out, and let the aftermarket get it sorted."

I know they have to do quite a bit of fiddling, to meet emissions standards. However, because I have spent long hours, fiddling with different bikes on the dyno and at the track, I can't help but think there is so much more buried underneath the engine cases of the ST. And, I'm not talking about horsepower and torque numbers. I'm talking about perfection: the whole package. (*cue the "define perfection" asshats)

I love my ST. For me, with the exception of the weight and fueling, it is the perfect bike. I can't do much about weight. However, I am gonna' try to become a student of the fueling, and see if I can't strike gold.

Thanks for the response...

11. ballheadknuckle

ballheadknuckle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What about your brake line clip, focus on whats available :D

Oh and which brand of oil is best to prevent hard starting issues?
  12. TH

TH There and Here

Oddometer:
    How about the spokes that get all grimey looking? Or that the bike doesn't wash itself? Those are terrible flaws in the S10.

[​IMG]
  13. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks good dirty :thumb
  14. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to a lot of therapy I had almost forgot about that! Thank you. Let's start a sub forum
    on the front brake line retainer clip failure. I'm sure things will snowball from there. It does tend to make the
    GS/KTM items seem trivial in the big picture.

[​IMG]
  15. Dallara

Oddometer:
    ~

Well, there is the ol' loosening/breaking spoke conundrum, though it does seem that once the spokes take a seat after a few thousand miles that fades into obscurity... :nod

Then there's Pluric bending his rims, but even that seems pretty rare, at least for anybody else... :augie

And a few of us have had the melted headlamp sub-harness issue, but that seemed to only happen to some of the earliest released ones. Haven't heard of it happening to later production ones. I have to say Yamaha handled mine on warranty at the time. Took a little head-butting since apparently I really was "the first", but after that they were golden. :D

There's been just a couple of rear pumpkin seal leaks, but so far there's been so few as to almost be nil. Lots of bitchin' about the inaccuracy of the speedo and instruments, but mostly it's nothing more than that. :oscar

Last but not least there's the (mythical, IMHO) "hard starting problem" that seems to attack only around the house... :poser

Pluric already covered his brake line clip...

I think that's about it, isn't it? Can anybody think of anything else at all? More important, can anybody relay any incident at all where a Super Tenere broke and failed to get its rider home? :lurk

Even one?

Dallara

~
  16. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've lost 12 lbs since Christmas (even with a cruise in between).:ilmostro I'm trying to give the
    rims a fighting chance this year. Still being a bit of a pessimist I've kept the Woody's
    shipping boxes just in case.:wink:
  17. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Congrats, what diet? I stopped drinking at the end of December but the weight's not melting off as fast as I thought it would even with the significant drop in caloric intake (no drinking also means less eating late at night). Have resisted going low carb, but might have to if the weight doesn't start to shift faster.
  18. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    You forgot the major recall from 2010 with that rear rack. YOU KNOW WHERE THREE PEOPLE LOST THERE LOADS..OMG!

That's right I forgot we have a had a recall :clap

I feel better now. It must be a proper bike.
  19. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stopped putting so much in the pie hole. No special diet, just quit the non-essentials.
    My son was 260 at his peak and is now 205. He does the crazy apples only and some
    supplement thing. I mainly am going for smaller proportions and try to avoid grazing
    when I get home. My wife is a great cook and there is always some new treat on the
    counter. It ain't easy.:D
  20. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the same diet I'm doing, will keep persevering. :D