Dealing with dealers.....

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by outdoornate65, Nov 19, 2012.

1. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    And none of them had some paragraphs or even a line break or two in stock?
  2. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

I'll take "What is a capital letter for $200, Alex".
  3. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    My local dealer wanted $1600 in dealer fees for a 2012 v-strom...:eek1

I don't know what you're looking for, but I had a really good experience at the Yamaha dealer in San Juan Capistrano.
  4. Mk5mike

Mk5mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is great help has I am about to move down to San Diego
  5. max1138

max1138 unsentinent wanderer

Oddometer:
    Dakez, we will have to agree to disagree.
    Im buying a bike not a relationship,
    you may be a good fellow and a good salesman. the two are not exclusive after all, and you may think of me what you wish.
    fortunately my self image does not depend upon someone commenting on a motorcycle forum.
    were I in your dealership I would make a fair offer on whatever I wished to purchase, if you turn it down that is your business to do so. and mine to take my money and walk away if we cannot come to agreeable terms. simple as that..
  6. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    You know, I agree with this. I think what others are saying is odd is the waiting six months and visiting dealers in three state for a dealer to come to your price. If that price is several thousands lower, then by all means wait it out. If only a few hundred dollars, then really, what is the point?
  7. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

Fair enough. (and much more reasonably worded)

Your first and second posts had you coming off as kind of dick-ish.

:beer

p.s. Sometimes having a relationship with a dealer really pays. Such as a store staying open late so you can get a part that you desperately need before heading out on a trip... Or tossing you the keys to a bike when yours is in for some type of service or warranty work... Or sending a truck or trailer to pick you up when you get a flat or your battery fails you.

I have had all of those granted to me by Ride West BMW in Seattle //// And I have done the same for my customers at Latus Motors. :D
  8. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    He has a KLR too :1drink
  9. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    The last bike I bought was at my local dealership - the salesman was an absolute dick (the size of dick he was didn't become apparent until the next day, but that's another story)

I still go there because buying my first bike there was a good experience and their parts department, overall, has been very accommodating. Also, the repair shop knows me by face and bike (probably better than by name :rofl:rofl:rofl) and are very willing to give a little free/quick advice if you pop in. Sometimes their equipment prices match internet, sometimes not, so I do a bit of both buying. If my first experience had been the dickhead salesman I probably would never have returned for anything even though they are the only shop in town.

The Yamaha dealership in San Juan Capistrano, where I bought my xt250, bent over backwards. They're the only shop I've ever been to that would let you take a test ride - anybody else have a problem with getting dealerships giving test rides? Bill, the owner/salesman, was amazing - met me on a Sunday morning to finish the deal for a bike he probably didn't make any money on. We also sat around and talked bikes for about an hour before even talking about prices - just a super nice guy who really likes bikes and people. Bill will get my future Yamaha business because of his customer service, not the bike price.

Bike Shops - customer service, customer service, customer service. Otherwise, why be in retail?
  10. max1138

max1138 unsentinent wanderer

Oddometer:
    It gets worse, I have an original concours too.:evil
    and I am kind of dickish, it comes from many years of pushing construction crews .Its a leadership function that I occasionally forget to turn off when dealing with individuals outside that world.particularly if im trying to get something done.
    as a leader you can be wrong occasionally but never indecisive and it gives people the wrong impression when I forget to turn that off in social situations.. apologies.
  11. Squanto!

Squanto! Master of Silent Death Supporter

Oddometer:
    The dealers time is valuable too. I'm sure they have tire kickers looking for deals coming through almost each and every day. I have never had a problem getting a "Deal" through a dealer but I show up Cash and Check Book in hand and make it known to them that I'm buying (right now if the price is right) and not looking. I expect them to come up with their best offer within a couple of minutes and if not I just head on down the road to the next dealer.
  12. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I've bought 2 bikes and 1 truck that I didn't intend to buy at the time. I was just killing time by looking at bikes/trucks. Everyone that walks through the door is a potential sale and should be treated as such. You never know where your next meal will come from.
  13. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

Who knows the right price?:ear
  14. abnslr

abnslr rides a motorcycle

Oddometer:
    The ONLY dealership I've ever had allow me to take a test ride was a BMW dealer (one of the reasons I ride a BMW now) though I've heard some Harley Davidson dealerships do test rides as well. I suspect that not having a problem getting test rides is probably more unusual.
  15. markk9

markk9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only dealers that I have never received a test ride from are a Jap dealers.
  16. bleedgrn

bleedgrn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am purchasing this next week a 2012 V-Strom 650 base model for $7299 +400 dealer fees + 418 tax = $8117 license not included. I also have to spend $200 in gas ( 6 hour drive one way) to pick it up. Still feels like a decent deal though since my local dealers don't have any in stock and the used market appears picked over. I felt like squabaling over the dealer fees but the bike price beats anything I have found for new. After asking, he also offered a discount on accessories ( not sure how much or how this will compare to online sources) but may be helpful. As everyone knows a January purchase leads to months of buying accessories. :freaky
  17. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats!!! And Welcome to the Asylum! :freaky
  18. Mk5mike

Mk5mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guessing you bought out of state is why you didn't have to license it?
  19. Tuna Helper

Tuna Helper Rawrr!

Oddometer:
    In Indiana, taxes are paid at the dealer, but if you buy private party you pay taxes at the DMV.
  20. bleedgrn

bleedgrn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, having to cross a border at the other end of the state. The dealer stated I would be paying my local sales tax rate 5.5%. I will be responsible for the license/registration. Also thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to getting back into the sport as well as creating some posts and participating in the forum.