Head Trippin' West: A Tigers Tale

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ride4321, Jun 28, 2011.

1. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This will be my first ride report here on ADV. I’ve done several on the Triumphrat forum last year to get a feel for it and hopefully I can make this worthy of a few views here, I’ll try to make it interesting.

I’ve been hooked on the reports here for a few years and they’ve inspired me immensely. For the last few years I’ve been wanting to leave it all behind and take a year off to travel on the bike. Even 3-6 months would have been nice but that just isn’t going to happen right now so this trip will last 3 weeks, sorry, it’s the best I could manage.

The planning has been kept to a minimum although I have a general idea of my routes. I’ll be leaving upstate NY this Friday, July 1st and heading to the Pocono region to visit a very good friend, then west from there on Saturday morning. The route will take me through PA/WV/OH/KY/MO/KS into CO. That’s the first leg. I’ll work my way down from Rocky Mt. NP to Zion hitting a few major peaks on the way through CO. I’ve left the schedule pretty open from CO on as I’ll just play it by ear as I go. CO and UT are most likely going to eat up a good deal of time, I don’t want to rush through those two states. I’ll work my way north from Zion hopefully to Glacier NP but that is an option and not written in stone. It will all depend on how much time I spend in the Rockies and Utah I guess. The route home will take me through SD/MN/WI/MI and back into NY. I’m just as anxious to see these states but since they’re on the way home they may not hold as much excitement for me. It's going to be hard turning right and heading back east I think.

The national parks are my waypoints along the way but since I’m traveling at the busiest time of year I’ll call em as I see em and alter my route to avoid the RV crowd as much as I can. I’m on a 1050 Tiger with street tires so I’ll have to stick to pavement and dirt roads. I guess I won’t get too far off the beaten path. What I really hope to see is small town America. I’ll avoid the interstates unless I really need to make time. I’m actually looking forward to Missouri and Kansas and won’t blow through them too quickly, I’ve heard there’s good things there if you take the time to find them.

As I said, I’m riding a 1050 Tiger I picked up last summer after totaling my Sprint. This bike is growing on me and it’s a good comfortable ride. I’ve lowered it which made a huge difference when packed with gear. I was able to fit all my gear into the OEM cases last year for weekend and a week long camping trip but I’ll be adding a dry sack for this trip as the cases are just to small and I want a little free room for beer and food when I get ready to stop for the night. Just the necessities folks, really, I’m not over packing. My gear is tried and tested and packs small. I’ve changed out my self inflating pad for an even smaller packing and much more comfortable Big Bertha and picked up a very cool Alite Monarch chair for comfort, this thing rocks...literally. I’ve also added a Jetboil this year and I love this thing. Great to have coffee before hitting the road in the morning. My camera is a Panasonic TZ5 that I’m fairly new with, I hope it does this site justice but I don’t claim to have the camera skills most of you all have. I’m carrying a Macbook Air and will be trying to post as I go. There may be a lapse of a day or so between posts since I’m planning on stealth camping as much as possible. I’ll post when I have wifi available. I’m not carrying a GPS. Thought about getting one but really it just doesn’t work for what I want when I’m riding. I like to change course when I feel the mood and I just can’t follow directions all that well, never could. I’ve got navigation on the phone if I need it and will use that to navigate any cities I decide to explore. I’m carrying a small atlas as well.
    I'm not taking an IPod either. This trip is titled Head Trippin and that's for a good reason. How could I hear the little voices in my head if I had tunes banging around in there?

My kids will be following this report so I’ll be trying to keep it family friendly, sorry guys but that’s just how it is. I wish I could take them along but there’s no way we’d all fit on the Tiger. This report is as much for them to follow and keep track of their old man as it is for you guys or myself. Hopefully when they get older they can ride their own bikes with me on a similar trip. But for now I’m traveling solo, I usually do, I like it that way, I can turn when I want and stop when I want. Maybe I just don’t play well with others...

What I hope to find on this trip...

Peace of mind. I’ve been mentally “wandering” for several years now. Not in a bad way, actually I've been enjoying it, but my lack of direction has been disconcerting I suppose. Things are changing lately though and the purpose of this trip has as well. I’m hoping to find the good that exists in this country. I don’t have a very positive outlook with the way things are headed in the world. I want to find the good things. I know it’s out there but I don’t see it much in my daily routine. I want my children to know that people in general are good and not to be feared. I hope they will see that in my words and photos here. Hopefully I’ll meet some interesting folks along the way but if not, well, I get along so well with myself it won’t really matter. I’ll just spend some time getting better acquainted with myself.

3 days til blast off...

My ride of choice...

[​IMG]

and my ugly mug...

[​IMG]

I'll be posting a few pics of these...

[​IMG]

just cuz it feels so good getting those boots off.

The projected route looks something like this although the point of departure has already changed, I told you already this sort of thing would happen...

[​IMG]
  2. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So here's what I'm taking along with me. It doesn't look like much and really isn't but like I said the OEM cases are small. The only thing missing in this pic is my clothes and that will consist of one pair of jeans, light pants with zip off legs, 3 pair of wool socks, 3 pair of underwear (that could last 6 days if I use both sides;-)), a few T's, flannel shirt, Jimmy Buffet shirt, and a warm vest. No rain gear as my riding gear seems to be waterproof as advertised.

[​IMG]

BTW, that big picture on the right isn't going with me and neither is the Thomas the Train railroad set, the panniers are empty. The top case is on the bike and also empty. I've read enough reports here to know I have to pack light and thanks to all you inmates for making it clear how important this is. Last year I packed way more than I ever used.
    I can hear thunder as I type, I wonder how much of that stuff I'll encounter in the planes???
  3. lxmary

lxmary Dirty Girl

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to hearing about your adventure. Will buy you a slice of PIE when you scoot through WI!:1drink
  4. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now see, that's why people take the time to write ride reports. The promise of PIE and a good road is really what it's all about when passing through areas you don't know. It's like Aunt Bee saying dinners ready, ya'll come in when you're good and hungry. I love Aunt Bee;-)
  5. chelo5sur

chelo5sur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I m soory it willnot be a year trip, but anyway 3 weeks is never bad ....
    Enjoy it . Thank you for sharing
  6. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I doubt I'm ready yet for a 12 month trip. Last year I got my feet wet doing 3 day and 7 day trips. It takes some getting used to when you're a newb. I've only gotten back into riding over the last 4 years. I put miles on and my bike is no garage queen by any stretch but I'm still a newb and learning more every minute. 3 weeks is a lifetime to me. I've only had two weeks off at a time before this trip so this is very exciting to me. I'm chomping at the bit to leave.
  7. Eagletalon

Eagletalon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck on that ride man!!!

John
  8. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. If I can meet a few people along the way that make me smile more than I am right now that will be worth the effort. Finding obscure camp sites will be even better. Getting good response from this site as I go would be the best. I really appreciate any interest I an get from this crowd. It makes me feel like I'm posting in the right place.
    While I' waiting for the clock to tick down I might as well post a few pics from last summer...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. BenThere

BenThere Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a three week trip around the southeast and found clothes in my pack that I never did wear. Granted, I was staying with friends along the way and only did two nights camping (don't forget bug spray - I had two ticks), but you're doing well to pack light.

What kind of camera are you shooting with? Never mind, a Panasonic TZ5 - you see, you've got it all covered.
  10. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The pics posted so far are mostly from my old Kodak. It sucked but was ok as far as capturing an image. I do hope the new camera inspires me to look further into the lens. It's a P&S and I'll keep it set to auto most of the time but it works pretty well in low light and I do have an "el cheapo" tri pod with me so give me a chance to try it out and the pics should get better as I go.
    3 weeks is a long time for most of us...
    The others here are blessed to have so much time to travel, Not that I'm a religious man by any means, but they are very fortunate.
    I look at Estonia With Love and those types of reports and am totally amazed. Those are the people that are really finding out what the world is about. Spectacular stuff there.
    All I want to know is who builds these things and how can I trailer it home.

[​IMG]

But most days I'd rather spend in places like this...

[​IMG]
  11. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    I'll be following along, I bought a 07 Tiger (in white of course!) for just this sort of thing. I have yet to get out there on mine but it will be nice to see a Rodie Tiger out and about. Best of luck and hope you find what you are looking for (as I'm sure you will).
  12. TallRob

TallRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    ill be following too. 2010 TIGER SE rider.
  13. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Have a safe trip. Keep oil in that Tiger. :clap:freaky
  14. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Grifter, that's a beautiful shot. Where was it taken?
  15. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    Shot just on the Idaho/Oregon border on Highway 95. Rain squalls near sunset meant plenty of Double Rainbows. My 1050 did fantastic on this 3500 mile, 3 week ride.
  16. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll have to find that place and wait around for a rainbow I guess.
  17. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, the bike is loaded up and ready to roll and so am I. This seems to have taken forever to get to this point. I don't know how you folks that travel RTW do it but my short 3 week trip begins tomorrow. The first day is short and won't include much here but as of Saturday morning it's finally under way. I will be heading to work in the morning and won't be back until the 3rd week in July. That's just fine with me.
    Here's the bike locked and loaded. I have room to spare which is something new and I like knowing I can carry more if I need to.

[​IMG]

I figure I'll be in western WV or Ohio by Saturday night and hopefully finding a secluded spot in some cemetery or on the side of a creek to spend the night. Sunday night should be spent in Missouri somewhere if I don't stop for the night in Louisville. By Monday I hope to be somewhere in Kansas, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. With any luck by Tuesday I'll be outside of Denver, hopefully on the northern side close to Rocky Mountain NP. From there it's southwest towards Utah. How long it will take to cover CO is open to the thrill factor while I'm there. The better I like it the longer it will take. Once I'm in CO the clock will slow down and the urgency of this trip will disappear, or that's what I'm hoping.
    FYI: That dry bag on the pillion is holding my tent, sleep bag, Big Bertha pad, Alite Monarch chair, pillow and ... now get this ... my mesh Joe Rocket jacket. My waterproof JR jacket uses the same pads so I'm able to take the pads out of the mesh jacket and pack it in. What a luxury, two jackets! This will come in handy since I don't need to carry rain gear and have warm and cool jackets with me. I'll be needing that mesh jacket as it's going to be in the mid 90's going through MO and KS in a few day and I'm sure it'll come in handy in UT.
  19. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    Very neat and tidy ... I like it. Have a safe ride!
    That extra room will most likely go quickly. If it heats up you'll be stripping off riding gear. You may need room for Ice, Food, Beer/Wine in camping. If moteling then it's easier. For years riding, if in the USA, I would mail stuff home I no longer needed. Now, after traveling on a DR650 I got better at packing light and just plain doing without.

On longer rides it can be tough to camp every night ... especially if constant rain is in the program. Take a break every few days to dry out and decompress. Motels are good for that ... but SO DAMN EXPENSIVE NOW.

Did you remember?
    Good quality tire plug kit/pump (plenty of FRESH Rubber Cement)
    Strap-On Headlight
    Anti-Static Dryer strips (GAIN) for Mosquitoes
    Camera battery charger
    Butler Maps (very good!)
    Valve core tool

Is your battery strong? Stock Tiger battery is pitiful. Use caution unless you've up graded it to higher AH batt.

In the USA everything is for sale ... so anything you forget or need you can buy on the road. Have you located Triumph dealers along your general route?

Keep an eye on your tires so you can Plan for a tire change rather than getting held at gun point when time for a new one:lol3

Safe going ... :ricky

[​IMG]
  20. TallRob

TallRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would seriously look at the Shorai battery. I love the the 270cca battery. My bike has never started so fast. Also,look at getting a DDM slim ballast HID 35w light ($30) as that will take some electrical load off the alternator and youll be able to run full electrical clothing and not over work the alternator.
    [​IMG]