Around the World in 800 Days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been dreaming of this trip for the past 20 years, actively planning this trip for the past 6 months and now the first part of my adventure begins this Friday.
    Hi.........my name is Ed, and welcome to my blog.
    On Friday, my girl friend and I are leaving for Cabo San Lucas for a 9 day trip from Southern California. I guide off road tours for Chris Haines Adventure Company so I know Baja like the back of my hand.
    In July, I am planning to leave from home and head up to Alaska. I want to dip my feet in to the Arctic Ocean among other things. I will be gone for a month or so. This trip will be shake down trip for what I have planned in October.
    In the middle of October, I will start heading south through mainland Mexico, Central America, and South America. I want to reach the tip of the continent and then ship my bike to Europe so I can travel through Europe in the Summer/Fall of 2013. From there, I will go through the Middle East and if I survive, head down thru Africa in 2014.

I want to do a lot of hiking, kayaking and other adventurous activities. If you have any suggestions for my the Alaska part of my trip, I would love to hear from you

Ed
  2. JasonLester

JasonLester Riding north

Oddometer:
    You'll love Alaska. I'll be up there in July as well. My bike is there now as we road up at the beginning of the month and I flew home (my dad has a place up there)

I am going to subscribe so I can watch your progress. I've tried to do this twice now and I am just not good at blogging. But I love reading them.

Btw check out Haines AK ... The ride there is fantastic.
  3. JasonLester

JasonLester Riding north

Oddometer:
    Actually I'll try to put together a few must see places for you if you like. And I am sure many more will chime in too.
  4. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jason, I plan to be in Haines. I want to take the ferry from Skagway.
    I just returned from Baja and getting ready to leave for Alaska on Monday.
    Stay in touch
    Ed
  5. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Sunday June 26, 2012
    Every RTW has to have a start and mine is off to a great start.
    My GF and I headed down to Cabo San Lucas for the week.
    Our first night we spent in Ensenada.
    We stopped at La Fonda for a Margarita. We went wine tasting at LA Cetto. We grabbed a beer and watched the sunset at Casa Natalie Boutique Hotel. And then dinner at Ophilias, the best restaurant in Ensenada.
    The next day we road 500+ miles and we are camping at El Coyote in the Bay of Conception.
    This was my first real outing for my 1200GS and I am liking it. It has good power. Gets good mileage and has an awesome range (which is a good thing in Baja). The temperature ranged between 60 and 95.......great for putting back a few beers and swimming in the Bay but hot on a motorcycle. I got to say my Rev'it Defender jacket and pants did a great job with the various weather, especially the jacket. The airflow is wonderful. My Rev'it Apache boots are nice at anything less than 80 degrees but above that, my feet got hot. I think it is partly because the engine layout on my BMW directs the hot air toward my feet. Not good for Baja but it will be beneficial when I head to Alaska in July. As an added benefit, the cylinders also shield the wind flow so my boots will stay dryer in wet weather (I hope). Well, the boots are Gore-tex so I will find out.
    Next stop Cabo
    scudo likes this.
  6. whatsgnu

whatsgnu Scheissekopf

Oddometer:
    This sounds like a good one, I'm in !! (don't forget....LOTS of pictures ) :clap
  7. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    This site seems harder to navigate than the earth........how do I post pictures? Since I am new, does this site restrict me from attaching pictures to my posts?
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    We are back from Cabo. And this trip made me realize once again that I don't really like Cabo San Lucas. It is expensive and full of tourists looking for something that it is not. For now on, I am just going to stop at Loreto or the Bay of Conception and hang out on the beach with some cold beers. To me.....that is real Mexico. But I am glad we went nonetheless. It was my GF's first time riding to the tip so we had to do it. And it was nice to get a shower in a real hotel.
    On the way back we camped at El Requision on the beach for 2 nights. It is my favorite spot in the world so far. We caught some fish, clams and scallops for dinner.
    I have traveled thru Baja over 100 times in the past 10 years and I have not had one bad experience down there. The people that are fearful of Mexico are the people that never go but they are quick to spout warnings to everyone about its dangers.
    On Monday, I am heading up to Alaska for about a month. I think I am going to log in about 10,000 miles along the way. More on that later......
    I am going to upload some Baja pictures and videos as soon as I figure out how to do this
    scudo likes this.
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    My favorite place in the entire world......... so far

Playa de El Requision

Land's End........Cabo San Lucas and the end of the road
  10. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Who needs a bike lock

[​IMG]

Drinking some good tequila on the beach

[​IMG]

Carmen floating outside our "hotel room"

[​IMG]
    ThomasGate likes this.
  11. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    San Ignacio

[​IMG]

Me and my bike

[​IMG]

I am afraid to tell you were this is.......the water temp is 90 degrees

[​IMG]
    scudo and Grynch like this.
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    View of the Sea of Cortez from our room

[​IMG]
    scudo and ThomasGate like this.
  13. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Swimming with the pelicans

[​IMG]

Sunrise over Bay of Conception

[​IMG]
    scudo and ThomasGate like this.
  14. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    La Fonda

[​IMG]

Drinks at Hotel Natalie in Ensenada

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My super cute GF staying warm along the Pacific Coast. Next few days were going the get HOT!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]
    ThomasGate likes this.
  15. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    nice start!!!
  16. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Heading to Alaska tomorrow.
    Along the way, I am going to visit friends and family, make new friends, hike, kayak, go wine tasting and keep an open mind and open eye for adventure
    scudo likes this.
  17. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    It is amazing how much stuff you can carry on a motorcycle

[​IMG]
    scudo likes this.
  18. Travis Lutter

Travis Lutter MMA

Oddometer:
    Mulege
  19. VisaliaADV

VisaliaADV n00b

Oddometer:
    Small world....my friend (the CHP) said he just talked to you when you were gassing up in Earlimart California......he passed on your advice...thanks. I'll be following your trip......from visaliaADV (the other CHP)
  20. Eagletalon

Eagletalon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed!!!:deal
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.