Calabogie Boogie Dual Sport Ride Sept 7 & 8

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TDY, Jun 29, 2013.

1. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    Thankfully the decision was unanimous, which was good because the New Road to 511 was a challenge enough.

[​IMG]

[/QUOTE]

I can't believe that is a 'named' road! Some of the uphill/downhill corners had been washed pretty hard by run off. So much so that I got my little CRFL pretty sideways once on it. The amazing bit was we ran into a couple in Chrysler mini-van who were in near full panic mode trying to find if the road met another road up ahead. They couldn't back up and they couldn't turn around. I think we were just ahead of your group so you probably met them as well.

Glad your off wasn't serious. I dumped my bike pretty hard on one of the tech sections crossing an 'elevated' culvert surrounded by mud. No damage though.

Hope to see you back again next year. (My CRFL is the 2nd from the front in your parking lot pic).
  2. yamafitter

yamafitter Old Cranky Guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not Toronto therefore off the edge of the world
    After one day of Calabogie this was all we could find of Steve the next morning. I think that croc in the "puddle" got him ....

[​IMG]

Actually Steve had to get back to Sudbury so he headed out Sunday morning which left Tom on his own. I had used up my countershaft sprocket on Saturday and didn't have a replacement with me and couldn't find anyone with one that I could buy so I had to sit Sunday out. Can you guess which one is the replacement sprocket I bought on Monday? ....

[​IMG]
  3. TE 450 Pilot

TE 450 Pilot Bike Collector

Oddometer:
    BILL !! with all your generations of experience I cant believe you hit the trail with that sprocket:lol3. Shame on you :eek1

We could not make it this year but we will see you in 2014.:freakyI look forward to seeing some more of your video clips of the years adventures.

Randy & Connie
  4. yamafitter

Oddometer:
    Being retired has it's advantages. One of those is being able to pack up and head out before the cottage traffic starts flowing out of Toronto. After the mandatory Timmy's coffee I hit the road just before 10AM and hit the East bound 401 to Belleville and then turned north up through Tweed and then on to Perth.

On the outshirts of Perth is Woody's Cycle and I was running very early and had some time to kill so I took a little detour and stopped by the shop. Woody has a small museum set up on the property of some of the more interesting bikes he has collected over the years....

[​IMG]

Woody is old enough to have bought this new....

[​IMG]

but now he was packing up his vintage road racer and heading off to Montreal for the weekend. Here is another vintage road racer he had on display....

[​IMG]

I had one of these CanAm Qualifiers back in the day and had a partial enduro sponsorship for a few years....

[​IMG]

One of the more important bikes in the collection was this 175cc Penton Jackpiner that Jack Penton used to win the Corduroy Enduro in 1973...

[​IMG]

After talking with Woody in the shop and checking out some of the other salvaged bike parts and other stuff it was time to stop at the Perth Timmy's but I noticed a microbrewery across the street so I went there instead. We sampled some of their IPA which was quite nice so I picked up some for the weekend and headed up the 511 to Calabogie.

It was quite early still and the registration staff were not setup yet so I wandered around the grounds near the clubhouse and smelled the flowers....

[​IMG]

The sound check crew were ready earlier than originally announced so I was first in line and got that task out of the way. Big Blue blew 90dBA, well under the allowed 94 dB limit. There was a French-Canadian contingent from La Belle Province (Quebec) that were changing tires and were trying out the new hot setup............... trials tire on the back...

[​IMG]

The French speaking KTM also was pretty quiet....

[​IMG]

In the meantime one of the riders' dog decided to cool down after the long ride up to the Boogie....

[​IMG]

The other registration people were still not completely set up yet so there was time to go to the bar and jump on the internet to see how Bungie was making out on his trip over from Sudbury.....

[​IMG]

Later in the evening Bungie had still not arrived. Those of us that know Bungie knows that he is capable of getting lost in his own bathtub so it was time to have a closer look at the SPOT Tracker....

[​IMG]

Bungie, please explain why you are heading west on Hwy 60 towards Huntsville??

[​IMG]

and why are you now heading south on 41 towards Napanee?? That lad has absolutely no sense of up nevermind north, south, east and west.

Next Installment - The ride on Saturday as seen from the saddle.
  5. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    That poor Yamaha sounded like it had a machine gun mounted to it when we were on 508 heading back to Calabogie. That sprocket did the best it could!

I will admit being a little worried about crossing Lake Ontario after seeing the guys giving that KTM CPR.
  6. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    We don't need no stinkin' map or GPS. Really, I had neither with me. I've never approached Calabogie coming from the west before. It's flippin impenetrable!

What I thought was really stupid the sign on 71 for Calabogie is a couple of hundred meters up the road!

Hey, I got there with my reputation intact. Mission accomplished.

BTW 41 is a really good road. I was wishing I was on my FJR!

Here's some pics:

Bill, crying in his helmet thanking me for leading him back to the homeland
    [​IMG]

The scenery didn't suck
    [​IMG]

See the porta-john in the background, I can finally say I pissed on a Ford. Who says my life isn't working out!
    [​IMG]

The gas line was busier than the 401 at rush hour
    [​IMG]

Rest stop out there somewhere. Okay, okay, we needed to go for a whiz..
    [​IMG]
  7. yamafitter

Oddometer:
    Lake Ontario????? That was a stinkin' puddle you wuss.

I have to admit I had problems following the tracks rather than a route on the GPS but look at all the trouble I went to doing a couple of U-Turns to make you feel at home.

The one time we let you lead and look where we ended up.....

[​IMG]

After that I learned my lesson and took over lead dog duties and we made it back to Calabogie in time for dinner.

When I first started talking to Steve & Tom about riding the Calabogie Tom was concerned about the trails since he only started riding Dual Sport this year after years of Sport Touring on a FJR. I told him the Dual Sport ride would be really nice ride. Tom was concerned about water crossings. I told him if we stayed on the main course there probably would not be any water. What I forgot to mention was that it was my plan to ride the technical options and I was leading.

Here is what happened.....

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/74167186" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

The next morning this was all we could find of Bungie.....

[​IMG]

and Tom wouldn't ride with me anymore. Actually I was the one who had to bale when the countershaft sprocket wouldn't sprocket anymore.....

[​IMG]

The chain was skipping on the sprocket so bad I could barely get the bike to move into the trailer at the end of Saturday. I asked around if anyone had a spare sprocket and my buddy had one for a Gas-Gas but the spline was wrong so I had to sit Sunday out. I did drive over to the lunch stop on Sunday and got to at least drive some nice roads so it was not a total loss.

Next year I'm riding behind Bungie so I can film the bales and laugh at him.

-the end-
  8. yamafitter

Oddometer:
    Once again you display for the world to see why you are always lost. We were on the World Famous Hwy 511, one of the best sport motorcycle roads in Ontario.
  9. shaweetz

shaweetz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great video and hilarious SPOT commentary.

Meanwhile over on Rosein Road:

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/uWEYN6Ib-1U?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/uWEYN6Ib-1U?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I am still busted up about my grip heaters. My hands were cold on the ride home! The inhumanity!
  10. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    This is Ontario, so long as the hwy starts with a 5, I'm happy.
  11. huron52

huron52 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About 5 minutes or so after you guys filmed that, I almost had the same fun time. Down hill sweeper on marbles. I saved it and noticed all the grass flatten down along the side of the road. I thought that doesn't look good!
    Glad that you can ride another day!
  12. 400 KTM Pilot

400 KTM Pilot Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This weekend certainly has not been as exciting as last weekend.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the Boogie DS ride.
    Had a little difficulty with the track Saturday, but since reviewing things, I think I could navigate them and use my GPS better next year.
    It was a great 2 days,,, Sunday lunch just great.
    Looking forward to next year.
    Thanks to all who put time into organizing this ride!
    Just a great area to ride!:clap
  13. Quantis

Quantis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    See all my photos here

Amazing ride. Did the dualsport on Saturday and I was going to do the trail ride sunday. Discovered saturday night that I can completely worn through my chain slider and was starting to wear through my swingarm! Not good. Also my bearings had decided to give it up so mechanically I was on shaky ground. I ended up packing up after the banquet and heading home to sleep in my bed. Zzzzz

[​IMG]
    Example of a worn slider. Mine looked just like this. Photo credit: BigDog

Thanks to all the guys I led on Saturday's aggressive route. You were all amazing riders and I had a good time despite missing that one turn. Also, thanks to all the organizers, you put on a top notch event!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See all my photos here
  14. shaweetz

Oddometer:
    Great shots. Love the macro album too.
  15. shaweetz

Oddometer:
    Ey, is there a thread launched for this year's boogie that I missed?

I got my Mitas E-07 and I am in! Giddyap :evil!

This year I will bring a saw, in case I have to cut off the end of my handlebar again.
  16. TDY

TDY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not yet but I'll post here in a day or two when I get one started
  17. xhungus

xhungus Misadventurer

Oddometer:
    This sounds like a great time. I recently picked up my first dual sport bike and would love to see some trails in the area and meet some local riders.

I'll be watching for the updated thread.
  18. shaweetz

Oddometer:
  19. xhungus

xhungus Misadventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link... I'm booked! :clap

If I want to camp do I need to book anything or just show up? Also, are there trees in the camping area hammock camping?
  20. TDY

TDY Been here awhile

Oddometer: