Around the World in 800 Days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golden_Cliff

Golden_Cliff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lalo,

If you want to buy new motor try this;

http://www.aphonda.co.th/product/2013/crf250L/index.asp

2. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Dirt Biker

Oddometer:
    :D
    I figure he knows how to get new bikes and knows the used market.
  3. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Is Haines the guy "they" call TrailBoss? Do you know mark O'Niel?
  4. mikecbrxx

mikecbrxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lalo

If you haven't found it yet, get in contact with these people....the guy who started this organisation (David Unkovich - Aussie) also developed bike trail maps of North Thailand that you can buy.

http://www.gt-rider.com/

Also, the 'walk into Burma from ChiangRai' is a good distance west from ChiangRia (at least an hour by bike) and I very much doubt you can hire anything over the border.
  5. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, that is Chris and Nancy.
    I am not sure if they are still in business.
    Chris Haines started the whole Baja tour thing about 25 years ago.
    And he has the best equipment, trucks and of course guides :evil
    I dont know Mark but i have met Jim.
    Baja is a small world and community.You can meet all the drivers and riders prerunning with them. And you can go head to head with them out on the trails during the prerun
    So much fun
  6. panthertattoo

panthertattoo GSridersNorthGreece

Oddometer:
    nice ride.,.,.,
  7. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    You never know who you will bump in to in Baja while prerunning for the Baja 1000
    I have chatted with Robbie Gordon at a traffic light in downtown Ensenada (we were also neighbors)
    Mouse McCoy on Diablo dry lake
    Malcolm Smith at Mike's Sky Ranch
    The Herbst's and Baldwin's out on the trails
    Johnny Campbell's dust off his back tire
    And here, one of my favorite Baja legends, Walker Evans in San Ignacio

Did I mention I am missing Baja?

[​IMG]
  8. davidbrundage

davidbrundage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have any experience with these guys so I can't speak to its validity, but I've been considering doing a ride around Myanmar and came across this in my research - May be worth checking out:

http://www.mandalaymotorbike.com/
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:

Thanks, i just sent him an e mail
    Looks promising
  10. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    From what i am hearing, it might not be realistic to buy a new honda crf250l in thailand
    I hear it can take up to 2 months to get plates
    It is only a problem because i plan to leave the country and i think they are going to want to see a plate.
    So now i am looking for a used one.
    And that is good because it will not only cost less money, but it will make the paperwork transaction easier.
    But the bad part is trying to find a good used crf or even a bad used one. There just dont seem to be a lot for sale out there.
    I can travel pretty much anywhere to buy the bike. I just need to find a guy that wants to sell one. And time is running out.
    God, i dont want to find myself on a Honda Rebel 125 or something silly like that. And if i get stuck on a bike like that, i am not posting any pictures of it :huh
  11. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    hey Lalo, post a Wanted To Buy ad in the bike classifieds here, might get lucky! it's happened to you before... :D
  12. davidbrundage

davidbrundage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've also come across these guys in similar research. I doubt they'll have bikes for sale, but for a fee (or maybe not?), I'm sure they'd help facilitate a transaction:

http://www.riderscorner.net/
  13. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    I was wondering if you'd have trouble with finding a CRF250L, it's a newer model, not a lot of them out there yet. How about just renting an XR? Seems like there are lot of them around for rent, easy to work on if you have problmes. I'm guessing you are familiar with them as well.

I seem to remember reading these guys account on renting a couple in Cambodia that seemed like a good way to do it (Shop called "Grease Monkey" in Phnom Penh not exactly Thailand though).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749495&page=22
  14. nameless

nameless 100% recyclable

Oddometer:
    How do you plan on registering the bike to your name? everywhere i look one needs to be a resident in a country to do that, get an insurance etc...
    Am i missing something? it's a point i really like to know, since it's cheaper to do that than to fly a bike half way across de globe :)
  15. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    www.bangkokpost.com

They have motorcycle classifieds in english from all over Thailand, but they will be mostly road bikes since that is the popular bike, you can keep your eye on it to get an idea of the prices and available
  16. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
  17. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:

From his profile, he seems to enjoy riding more than just motorcycles around Bangkok. :rofl
    And i am going to need as many resources as i can in asia
  18. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I plan to apply for residency there which i understand is easy to do

And yes shipping the Flying Dutchman all the way to Thailand would be expensive.

But if cost were my main concern, i would be riding a bike like a Honda Nighthawk 750 or an XR250. But for me, this trip is so much more than riding from point A to point B. This trip is about passion.
    Think of motorcycles like women. The Nighthawk does everything that you need and doesn't do anything that you don't
    Then think of a Ducati. The are sexy, seductive, fast and of course have nice lines and curves. But they can be tempermental, expensive, demanding and also high maintenance.
    My BMW is a good balance for me. Sometimes i can just sit outside and pub and just stare at it. And watch the faces of people that walk by to admire it. And i am proud to call it mine.
    So sure, an old Xr250 would get me around but my trip loses some of the passion that i want and need. And maybe if i was just going to keep the motorcycle for a few weeks, an XR would do, but the commitment i made to my BMW is forever and after 18 months, i would say "I do" all over again.
    With that being said, it doesn't mean i am not looking forward to renting some Russian two bit floosy in Vietnam and riding her until one of us calls uncle.
  19. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Flying with benefits
    Real French Champagne
    Empty seat next to us
    It's almost like flying first class

Our cruise leaves tomorrow

[​IMG]
  20. MotoGypsy

MotoGypsy Occasional rambler

Oddometer:
    If your looking at routes, you might want to check-out Helge Pedersen's of Globe Riders SE Asia route. It's about 8000 miles from Singapore to Hanoi. And they didn't do Malaysia or Indonesia (vast area of islands). Malaysia is more modern and less crowded as compared to Indonesia. Your in for some real adventure -- enjoy!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.