Peaklife GPS

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by boy60, Jun 14, 2011.

1. geniuskidzz

geniuskidzz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hello, i've bought this thing too... im from indonesia
    it cost me about IDR 1.900.00, which about ~US$ 200. its not that the dealer or the distributor sold it overpriced - its indonesian tax that makes it go to that price, so lets just leave it at that :cry

its coming with 1 control software - navipath, and 4 gps navigation software ( yeah, you didnt miss read it, the distributor in china loaded 4 software in it), which is papago, igo8, igo, and navitel. Since i've been using navitel for a long time, i decided to bypass the navipath, and point it directly to navitel execution file ( in navitel folder, point it to navigator.exe, not navitel.exe. the latter one will bring you to initial configuration screen for navitel - its in russian before you configure it)

the seller load indonesian map for all 4 software for free, but i decided to bring my own map, which is quite easy ( just copy it over and load it from maps/atlas menu from inside the gps software)

well for an undergraduate student like me its a nice deal:evil
  2. outsidein

outsidein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have issues with the Peaklife GPS motorcycle mount. The GPS works fine in my car but on the bike it frequently looses it's power connection through the pins on the back of the case from the motorcycle mount. This causes the unit to warn it is going to turn off. Tried contact cleaner on the pins with no improvement. Any thoughts or ideas?
  3. histguy

histguy Histguy

Oddometer:
    I have started to experience something similar on my last ADVride. I noticed however that it maintained power when the bike was upright but would loose power in the curves. I have yet to diagnose it yet though, some rainy weekend I plan to take it apart to see what may be loosing contact. Will advise then.
  4. Thumper Dan

Thumper Dan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm experiencing the exact same issues. But I've been using Dielectric grease on the contacts not only in the console but also on the battery contacts. This seems to help for awhile but having the need need to repeat.

I tried to get a replaceable console but they ran out and won't be making them anymore.

Ironically the other day I had it going great on the really rough sections of gravel road (nearly 100km) but came to the highway, it stopped working and kept shutting off. :dog
  5. Rocking-M

Rocking-M DuckCowboy

Oddometer:
    sorry if this is a repost but the search provided sucky results.

Anyone running the Peak Life? (price looks nice)

Maps for the road, are they are to find and load?

Reviews?
  6. MarkWAau

MarkWAau I like roast chicken

Oddometer:
  7. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    it is not replaced, different producer, new item 4.3 screen
  8. rpeter

rpeter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Peaklife cradle power supply doesn't seem to produce enough current to keep the thing running. On an all day ride, eventually the battery will completely discharge and the GPS will shut down. Then after being off a while, the battery will be enough recharged to start it back up.

I also have a cigarette lighter socket on the bars, so I can keep the GPS running all day by using the USB input power, as well as the cradle power.
  9. motopreserve

motopreserve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ****EDIT!****

Got it to fire up. Took me 3 attempts of hitting the power buton, with what seemed like no life to it at all. But now its up and running. I'm sure I will have some other questions for the 'geek squad' out there.... :)

Hey folks. Got my Peaklife in the mail yesterday. Had read all the great instructions and reviews here, and knew to not monkey with it until it got a nice solid charge.

Plugged it into my ipad power supply, a faint red light showed up on the lower right corner, and I left it to charge overnight.

Came out this morning and there was no light. No power on the unit. Tried plugging it in to the car adaptor, no red light.

Any ideas? This one toast?

Thanks in advance for any help/light you may shed - I'm really looking forward to using this thing!
  10. outsidein

Oddometer:
    You have to hold the power button down for a second or so to get it to start. Red light shows it is charging but it will go out when the unit is fully charged.
  11. outsidein

Oddometer:

I have the exact same issue. Ordered a USB power supply for the bars to keep it charged. In the mean time I fully charge it off my computer before going out which works fine as long as I am not out all day. In the car with the USB power supply it works great and does not have this issue.

Tried cleaning the contacts with spray contact cleaner which helped but the cold from the spray can cracked the cradle. Had to repair with Plastex.
  12. motopreserve

Oddometer:
    Turns out I was just not holding the power long enough. It fires up fine now. Took me a while to get the software installed, but eventually I got the primo version linked on page 4 to boot up. The newer units must have more memory, because all the US maps and software fit on the internal drive.

I even got some tracks loaded provided by a fellow inmate here, detailing a dual-sport loop of my new home state of Vermont. Looking forward to using this thing to help me find my way out of the deep woods...

After reading about the issues with the power, I figured I'd just use the power from the cig adaptor i have coming straight from the battery (switched on one bike, cheapie adaptor that plugs into Deltran battery charging lead on another).

But I reread rpeter's post, and he seems to mention using the cradle AND the USB. I'm just going to try the car cradle to eliminate the extra (underpowered) cabling.

Thanks for all the help and tips folks.
  13. outsidein

Oddometer:
    I recently had an issue with my Peaklife GPS constantly trying to boot up. I would press the power button and it would turn on and display the picture of the guy in the car (flash screen) then try and load Primo. 10 seconds into loading Primo the screen would go black and it would then automatically try rebooting again. It would continue this cycle indefinitely.

Removed my SD card and it booted into Windows CE OK. Put a new SD card card in it (8Gb) and loaded all the Primo software and maps on it. Works OK now. I can still use the old 2Gb SD card I took out of the unit in my camera without issue. Seems like the data on the old SD card became corrupt somehow.

I notice the light beside the USB port goes out when the unit is fully charged.
  14. motopreserve

Oddometer:
    I'm still too new to this unit to have the freeze happening :) But I think you're right, the light does not show power to the unit, but charging only. So when it's fully charged, the light goes out.
  15. 73Mustang

73Mustang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got this GPS. It doesn't have any maps. Where do I buy maps?

I want legit maps. (Not download illegally)

Because I don't know how to use torrent. Don't have time to learn. Don't want virus.
  16. macintosh

macintosh Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. rpeter

rpeter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is iGo8 with maps on a microSD card, supposed to be legit, http://yehob.ecrater.com/p/10235152/igo8-2012-q4-north-america-usap
  18. rpeter

rpeter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had thought the Peaklife cradle power supply might be defective, but I bought the Peaklife successor, the "Rage," and didn't bother swapping out the power supply when I put the Rage in place of the Peaklife. The Rage runs fine all day on the same cradle power. So my guess is that the Peaklife just consumes much more power than the Rage.
  19. Carluset

Carluset Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi!

I had a similar problem. I also thought it was a problem of insufficient current. I replaced the 12V-5V converter with another one providing 3A. Nothing changed. I thought then that maybe was a problem with the wires or the contacts. I sprayed the pins on the GPS cradle and pushed them in order to make the liquid get into the little springs.

Problem solved!
  20. 73Mustang

73Mustang Been here awhile

Oddometer: