ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #661
Teli Rides
Adventurer
 
Teli Rides's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Mexico City
Oddometer: 39
2014 First Impressions

Hi,

I got my S-10 a couple weeks ago, I had $6,435 reasons for considering this bike this bike instead of 1200 GS LC I was lusting for, anyway I went to a yamaha dealer to check it out and fell in love with the looks of the gray one.

So I decided that the lack of electronic suspension was not a deal breaker an went ahead with the purchase, I saw also a leftover white '13 at the floor. The differences are minimal, aside from the Instrument Cluster, the modified controls, and the different shape mirrors they are identical. I must say that this little details make a difference in the perceived quality.

I think that deleting the centerstand was a stupid gimmick to say there reduced waight. Will be adding that in the future.

I decided on the new one because of the color, i just love it ..the white one looks like a cop bike.

Aesthetics aside I understand they fine tuned the engine modes for this model year, I can attest that in "T" mode the bike is tame and smooth, perfect for dealing with city speed, on 'S' mode its a whole another story it transforms itself in a fun bike for the twists with abrupt throttle response. Once on the move the bike hides its weight very well. Also with the windscreen a lll the way up the s 10 feels a lot slower than it really is, you are doing 100 mph in the blink of an eye, have to be careful, also even if I felt on average it a tick slower than my previous F650 Twin in the bends of a familiar road, actually I was going a little faster going in.

For road touring which is the main purpose of this bike Its a great Moto!


On Quality and things that annoy me:

On the first 40 km the screw for the ABS sensor came loose mid road and scared the shit out of me when the ABS warning came on and the traction control engaged out of nowhere, found a donor screw on a clip that held rear brake lines and a zip tied the lines and was able to continue on my merry way. On the second ride one Mirror vibrated loose and the screw for the windshield unscrewed itself. Everything was screwed back in place and OK. But never had to tighten anything on the GS for the first 2 yrs.

At first I first I felt the suspension a bit harsh on bad roads and "Topes" (speed bumps) I dialled the preload front and back all the way down and was much better. Then I took the bike for a very short run on a very easy dirt road, I found the suspension a harsh on the high speed bumps, I guess that on a long day I'd feel beaten with all the pounding on my wrists. I'll start monkeying with the other settings of the suspension. For me its not meant to be an mainly off road bike, I have the 690 E for that, and I guess it would not be fair to compare the suspension to the Orange One. But something has to be done to soften it, roads can get pretty bad around here and light dirt is always a possibility.

On the Yamaha Experience, they want me to take the bike every 3,000 km to service during the warranty period thats short of extortion... first two services are free on labor fees.
The manual clearly states 10K between services, I'd understand that kind of service intervals on a high revving R-1 Engine but on this bike?

Also on the insurance I got quoted ridiculously high premiums, I even at one point I got quoted $3,500 USD for a premium policy, I finally insured the bike for like 1,600 and hope I never scratch those nice fairings . I guess they throw the S-10 in the same category with the sport bikes, which are the most stolen and wrecked around here. Premiums for BMW's are way lower in these latitudes. (Mexico)


Th bike is really nice and I hope it will give me many many years of service.

Here is the bike besides a friend's LC, Personally I like the looks of the Super better.

hehehe! will I be excluded form society fro being "different"


DSC00216 by oMunch, on Flickr


And here is the new dashboard, mostly another gimmick but I kind of dig it.



IMG_1887 by oMunch, on Flickr
Teli Rides is offline  
Old 02-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #662
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 8,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycraig View Post
There is a weight savings on the new 2014 tenere base model but its not a whole lot. Oh and on that model they deleted the center stand and grab handles and something else so I guess thats their weight reduction!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
This is my only Hangup. It's actually going to be heavier than the new 1200GSAW which has a bigger gas tank.

Facts versus fiction

2014 GSA without panniers 589 lbs.
2013 GSA with panniers 628 lbs
2012 XT1200Z with engine guards, skid plate and panniers. 594 lbs.


http://www.touratech-usa.com/Adventu...igh-In-Results
__________________
2011 XT1200Z
2009 FLHR
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline  
Old 02-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #663
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 8,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teli Rides View Post


On Quality and things that annoy me:

On the first 40 km the screw for the ABS sensor came loose mid road and scared the shit out of me when the ABS warning came on and the traction control engaged out of nowhere, found a donor screw on a clip that held rear brake lines and a zip tied the lines and was able to continue on my merry way. On the second ride one Mirror vibrated loose and the screw for the windshield unscrewed itself. Everything was screwed back in place and OK. But never had to tighten anything on the GS for the first 2 yrs.

On the Yamaha Experience, they want me to take the bike every 3,000 km to service during the warranty period thats short of extortion... first two services are free on labor fees.
The manual clearly states 10K between services, I'd understand that kind of service intervals on a high revving R-1 Engine but on this bike?

Also on the insurance I got quoted ridiculously high premiums, I even at one point I got quoted $3,500 USD for a premium policy, I finally insured the bike for like 1,600 and hope I never scratch those nice fairings . I guess they throw the S-10 in the same category with the sport bikes, which are the most stolen and wrecked around here. Premiums for BMW's are way lower in these latitudes. (Mexico)
I wouldn't call that the Yamaha Experience, more like Your Dealer Experience.

Obviously the set up, where they are supposed to check all the bolts and fasteners was slipshod. And they are trying to rip you off with the services. Here in Japan, Yamaha "requires" a yearly inspection to maintain the warranty. My dealer said don't worry about it. My bike won't be getting dealer servicing till it's time to check the valves at 42,000 km.

And it's illegal stateside to require dealer servicing to maintain the warranty.
__________________
2011 XT1200Z
2009 FLHR
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline  
Old 02-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #664
fredz43
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Illinois- land of straight, flat, boring roads.
Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I wouldn't call that the Yamaha Experience, more like Your Dealer Experience.

Obviously the set up, where they are supposed to check all the bolts and fasteners was slipshod. And they are trying to rip you off with the services. Here in Japan, Yamaha "requires" a yearly inspection to maintain the warranty. My dealer said don't worry about it. My bike won't be getting dealer servicing till it's time to check the valves at 42,000 km.

And it's illegal stateside to require dealer servicing to maintain the warranty.
Twinrider is correct. The mirrors and windscreen are installed by the dealer's setup person, not by the factory, so that person is responsible for not tightening them. If the ABS sensor was on the front wheel, that was also installed by the dealer's setup person. Sounds like less than "quality" work on the part of your dealer's employee and the "required" service checks are also something your dealer is doing on his own.

On the other hand, thank you for this, our first report from someone who has actually ridden the 2014 model. We have read that the ECU has been reprogrammed, but will be interested to find a comparison between the 2014 programming in S mode and the previous models and in particular, how the 2014 compares to a flashed 2012-2013 ECU.
fredz43 is offline  
Old 02-17-2014, 05:02 PM   #665
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr
 
bouldertag's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teli Rides View Post
Hi,

I got my S-10 a couple weeks ago, I had $6,435 reasons for considering this bike this bike instead of 1200 GS LC I was lusting for, anyway I went to a yamaha dealer to check it out and fell in love with the looks of the gray one.

So I decided that the lack of electronic suspension was not a deal breaker an went ahead with the purchase, I saw also a leftover white '13 at the floor. The differences are minimal, aside from the Instrument Cluster, the modified controls, and the different shape mirrors they are identical. I must say that this little details make a difference in the perceived quality.

I think that deleting the centerstand was a stupid gimmick to say there reduced waight. Will be adding that in the future.

I decided on the new one because of the color, i just love it ..the white one looks like a cop bike.

Aesthetics aside I understand they fine tuned the engine modes for this model year, I can attest that in "T" mode the bike is tame and smooth, perfect for dealing with city speed, on 'S' mode its a whole another story it transforms itself in a fun bike for the twists with abrupt throttle response. Once on the move the bike hides its weight very well. Also with the windscreen a lll the way up the s 10 feels a lot slower than it really is, you are doing 100 mph in the blink of an eye, have to be careful, also even if I felt on average it a tick slower than my previous F650 Twin in the bends of a familiar road, actually I was going a little faster going in.

For road touring which is the main purpose of this bike Its a great Moto!


On Quality and things that annoy me:

On the first 40 km the screw for the ABS sensor came loose mid road and scared the shit out of me when the ABS warning came on and the traction control engaged out of nowhere, found a donor screw on a clip that held rear brake lines and a zip tied the lines and was able to continue on my merry way. On the second ride one Mirror vibrated loose and the screw for the windshield unscrewed itself. Everything was screwed back in place and OK. But never had to tighten anything on the GS for the first 2 yrs.

At first I first I felt the suspension a bit harsh on bad roads and "Topes" (speed bumps) I dialled the preload front and back all the way down and was much better. Then I took the bike for a very short run on a very easy dirt road, I found the suspension a harsh on the high speed bumps, I guess that on a long day I'd feel beaten with all the pounding on my wrists. I'll start monkeying with the other settings of the suspension. For me its not meant to be an mainly off road bike, I have the 690 E for that, and I guess it would not be fair to compare the suspension to the Orange One. But something has to be done to soften it, roads can get pretty bad around here and light dirt is always a possibility.

On the Yamaha Experience, they want me to take the bike every 3,000 km to service during the warranty period thats short of extortion... first two services are free on labor fees.
The manual clearly states 10K between services, I'd understand that kind of service intervals on a high revving R-1 Engine but on this bike?

Also on the insurance I got quoted ridiculously high premiums, I even at one point I got quoted $3,500 USD for a premium policy, I finally insured the bike for like 1,600 and hope I never scratch those nice fairings . I guess they throw the S-10 in the same category with the sport bikes, which are the most stolen and wrecked around here. Premiums for BMW's are way lower in these latitudes. (Mexico)


Th bike is really nice and I hope it will give me many many years of service.

Here is the bike besides a friend's LC, Personally I like the looks of the Super better.

hehehe! will I be excluded form society fro being "different"


DSC00216 by oMunch, on Flickr


And here is the new dashboard, mostly another gimmick but I kind of dig it.



IMG_1887 by oMunch, on Flickr

You are very misinformed. very sad....

ugghhh..
__________________
Burn out dont fade away!!
bouldertag is offline  
Old 02-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #666
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teli Rides View Post
On the first 40 km the screw for the ABS sensor came loose mid road and scared the shit out of me when the ABS warning came on and the traction control engaged out of nowhere,
OMG! and all this time we've been talking about reliability stats and figures.....a recall will surely be next, but as long as Yamaha gets the news out before public outcry then all will be well. Phew, i hope the Ducati, BMW, and KTM forum folks don't see this post or they'll surely have a heyday!

Joking!!!!



TeliRides, in all seriousness, I would check the bike's sag before doing much else, and then set the compression (and rebound) accordingly. I doubt that the preload is the cause of what you're experiencing on the bumps/harsher road conditions.

Congratulations on the new bike!
__________________
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R
2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is online now  
Old 02-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #667
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion
 
scudrunner82's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Catskill, NY
Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Wouldn't be so bad if we all weighed 170lbs.

It still sucks even at 160 Lbs.

Nothing a little suspension work can't fix quite easily.

Personally I'd much rather save the bucks on whizz bang electronic suspension and spend it on proper valving for the non-electronic bike. You'd probably get a better ride in the end, less weight/complexity and have one less thing to break. Not that it will, it is after all a Yamaha

I do like the new windscreen, and factory cruise control though!
__________________
Hungry Tenere Trip Team Ghetto Does a Hot Lap of America(live now!!!)
02' CRF450, 02' Monster 900, 14 1190R, 14' 350 EXC-F,

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart

scudrunner82 screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 09:03 PM
scudrunner82 is offline  
Old 02-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #668
sscol
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 18
Thumbs down

What happened to the tenere updates
sscol is offline  
Old 02-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #669
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...
 
Dallara's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,718
Laugh March 2014... And still March 2014...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscol View Post
What happened to the tenere updates

Yamaha sent this out to their USA dealers months ago (November 4th, 2013 to be exact), and it was posted here on ADVrider, as well as on other forums... again months ago...








Nothing's changed. Yamaha USA will release detailed price and availability information for the 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere sometime in March...

This is February.

What is so difficult about the concept of "March 2014"?

Dallara



~
__________________
~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline  
Old 02-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #670
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,300
Oh man, it looks like it's time to mop up here.. Pissing matches are so boring..

Let's agree that the bikes that you ride are the best bike ever made, regardless of brand. Period. This way no one is butt hurt..
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline  
Old 02-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #671
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,300
I'm closing this thread to give ME a chance to catch up and punt all this crap out of this thread. But feel free to keep the pissing match going in the GS vs. S10 thread, but please keep it civil. No personal attacks or threats will be tolerated.
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline  
Old 02-18-2014, 05:29 PM   #672
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,300
There's an hour of my life wasted moving all that crap.. I didn't it enjoy and won't get back.. I moved posts wholesale.. I prolly tossed the baby with the bathwater, but I don't have time to read every bit of drivel..

I'm thinking this thread is worthless.

How about someone on here start a new 2014 Gen 2 SuperTen thread and post info on the new bike.

Yamaha Canada posted it on their website Jan. 10, along with prices and features.

Unlike the Euro spec base model which comes without a top case rack, passenger grab handles and center stand, the CDN spec base model has them all. Price between base model and ES model is a $1000 and for that you get heated grips, ES suspension and the right side rear subframe right side cover.

Please refrain from starting another pissing contest.. I'm ready to issue vacations now..
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline  
Old 02-18-2014, 05:45 PM   #673
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post

How about someone on here start a new 2014 Gen 2 SuperTen thread and post info on the new bike.

Yamaha Canada posted it on their website Jan. 10, along with prices and features.

Unlike the Euro spec base model which comes without a top case rack, passenger grab handles and center stand, the CDN spec base model has them all. Price between base model and ES model is a $1000 and for that you get heated grips, ES suspension and the right side rear subframe right side cover.

Please refrain from starting another pissing contest.. I'm ready to issue vacations now..
I started that up in the link thread. If you like I can do a separate one. If I can get Mod rights on that one thread I can keep it clean. (Yes gratuitous power grab ) It would be good to get input from everyone, but edit out the mess later rather than chewing other people time up.

PS. Glad you spared Captain Marvelous.
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 02-18-2014 at 05:51 PM
GrahamD is offline  
Old 02-18-2014, 05:52 PM   #674
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
I started that up in the link thread. If you like I can do a separate one. If I can get Mod rights on that one thread I can keep it clean. (Yes gratuitous power grab ) It would be good to get input from everyone, but edit out the mess later rather than chewing other people time up.
Thanks... how about you start a new thread and I'll close this one?

there's no possibility of assigning mod control over just 1 thread.

i don't like to use my mod tools unless I see a train wreck in the making or other site rules violations..
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline  
Closed Thread

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014